Status
Not open for further replies.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Nahhhhhhhh....let me guess it goes like:

Marty: Fred is gone, 100%, book it, people aren't going to like it but that is the facts and I'm not talking 5 years from now I'm talking like after the NBA playoffs here
Miller: I'm not gonna go 100% Marto but I'll give you 95% and it's looking like ISU is resigned to another blow to the stones
Marty: It's the biggest story out there right now that no one else is talking about but we're ahead of the curve as usual, Kenny, and people are going to look back and say, "The Marty & Miller boys were right I don't know how we didn't see that one coming".
Miller: Well Mart, you know I don't like going down these roads but sometimes you just have to call that darkness you see coming for what it is

This is fantastic.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This keeps you awake at night doesn't it?

Ha :). It more baffles me that other people don't see it. Thinking that TJ doesn't know he is the next coach is more naive then thinking Diallo is coming here. I've yet to here one logical reason he'd come back here or not interview for the gb job.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Ha :). It more baffles me that other people don't see it. Thinking that TJ doesn't know he is the next coach is more naive then thinking Diallo is coming here. I've yet to here one logical reason he'd come back here or not interview for the gb job.

The Green Bay and Northern Kentucky jobs are deadends for what he has in mind for a career?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The Green Bay and Northern Kentucky jobs are deadends for what he has in mind for a career?

I think the gb job seems like a pretty logical step for someone with great Wisconsin connections. And for someone who left to try and get a head job it seems like you would interview for it. Green Bay is probably closer to home than Ames.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think any "head coach in waiting" talk is premature.

I think career wise it was a great move for Otz because at worst, being an assistant for a top 5 team is GREAT publicity for his next job should he want to move on that quickly.It's a free ticket.

I said earlier I don't see why ISU would have to hire a first time HC with the level the program would be at and I know it worked for Hoiberg but that is irrelevant to the conversation.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Maybe this is a package deal. TJ gets a job on Freds staff and Allison will soon be on BFs staff.

Something unusual is happening as TJ was hired within 24-48 hrs of Matt going to St. Johns.

Whatever happens, I am going to trust Fred and Jamie to do what's right for ISU.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think any "head coach in waiting" talk is premature.

I think career wise it was a great move for Otz because at worst, being an assistant for a top 5 team is GREAT publicity for his next job should he want to move on that quickly.It's a free ticket.

I said earlier I don't see why ISU would have to hire a first time HC with the level the program would be at and I know it worked for Hoiberg but that is irrelevant to the conversation.

of course it is not logical. That doesn't mean it isn't pollards plan.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Lol jfc how stupid are you people? How can you in any way get that Fred is leaving from that quote?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe this is a package deal. TJ gets a job on Freds staff and Allison will soon be on BFs staff.

Something unusual is happening as TJ was hired within 24-48 hrs of Matt going to St. Johns.

Whatever happens, I am going to trust Fred and Jamie to do what's right for ISU.

Yes I don't know what type of craziness is happening when you lose a staff member and then replace them.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is fantastic.

It would be even more fantastic except that M&M took it even a step further. Apparently Fred's not going to the NBA, he's retiring because of his heart condition. This was spoken as fact and Cyclone fans are delusional for not believing them.

Can Marty even afford to go to the dentist to get this information anymore?

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Is there any chance that Romar was talking about the fact that in a couple months that ISU will be a dominant team in the Big12 and TJ would be part of it, which is why he wanted to leave to be part of a considerably better team???

This was my first thought when I read the quote, but I guess I'm just not CycloneFanaticing ​correctly.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
So Fred has built a Top 25 (to be modest) program and it's TJ's job without vetting anyone else. That's absurd. It would be a foolish move by Pollard at best. Think about what you are saying. TJ turned down a Horizon League (or whatever) job interview to return to a Top 10 basketball program. BECAUSE, MA left on a midnight train when St. Johns came calling. This was a fluid situation. TJ had no job with Iowa State but for MA departure. It's that simple.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So Fred has built a Top 25 (to be modest) program and it's TJ's job without vetting anyone else. That's absurd. It would be a foolish move by Pollard at best. Think about what you are saying. TJ turned down a Horizon League (or whatever) job interview to return to a Top 10 basketball program. BECAUSE, MA left on a midnight train when St. Johns came calling. This was a fluid situation. TJ had no job with Iowa State but for MA departure. It's that simple.

you are right about this year. But the reason he came back was because he knows he is the next coach in my opinion.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Pollard would not tell an assistant that left to go somewhere else for a few years that the job is his at some point. Not how it works.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Wow......this site is just becoming inundated with foolish threads these days.

I guess if all these sports pundits keep saying CFH is going to the NBA.....one of these years they could actually be right.......and then they can say .......see.....told you so. I think Fred may end up there some day, but not for a while. I just don't seem him walking away from what will likely be the best team in the history of ISU men's basketball.

The NBA will be there as long as ISU continues to succeed under Fred, and I don't think he sees any time now when he won't be succeeding here.

As far as the comment by the Washington coach......it could also mean that look at what ISU has next year, and what we will have........TJ could see the writing on the wall and made the choice any assistant would make.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
you are right about this year. But the reason he came back was because he knows he is the next coach in my opinion.

This idea is so stupid. I can't believe how many people here are jumping of cliff.

If Pollard knew Fred was leaving WHY would he internally promote TJ? We have a TOP TEN roster for next year and candidates would be lining up at the door to coach here.

ADDITIONALLY, if for some reason Pollard DID want TJ that bad, he could just as easily hire him from UW's staff. Its not like the blue bloods of college hoops are lining up to hire TJ and we just HAD to snag him first so that we can anoint him head coach when Hoiberg leaves.

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
The level of anxiety at CF is seriously beyond a minor problem. Some of you need to chill the F out. At some point you might realize that the world doesn't revolve around Cyclone athletics and neither should your life. No matter what, most of us will cheer for ISU. Go find yourself a hot college chick and step away from the keyboard.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This idea is so stupid. I can't believe how many people here are jumping of cliff.

If Pollard knew Fred was leaving WHY would he internally promote TJ? We have a TOP TEN roster for next year and candidates would be lining up at the door to coach here.

ADDITIONALLY, if for some reason Pollard DID want TJ that bad, he could just as easily hire him from UW's staff. Its not like the blue bloods of college hoops are lining up to hire TJ and we just HAD to snag him first so that we can anoint him head coach when Hoiberg leaves.

All of this.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Wow... this thread is crazy. So.......... I'll add my 2 cents :) I would be just fine if TJ was our "head coach in waiting". He seems to be a good guy and the fact Fred wanted him back seems to indicate that Fred thinks he can coach and recruit. IF Fred was ready to leave, i would say give TJ a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron