Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Why the **** do people think Chicago is such an irresistible job? They are not good enough to make me worry.

Wait... who is then? Chicago is honestly the lone job I AM worried about. And really not in any case, particularly this summer.

Or did you mean UIC?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
When I read the actual article and tense in which it was written, it really seems like nothing more than coach speak for TJ being a bad fit with Lorenzo or the type of players he likes in the system.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/uwsp...rs-recruiting-job-status-on-sports-radio-kjr/

Is that the same interview, because the meaning comes off completely differently

"(What happened with T.J. Otzelberger?) “Went back to Iowa State. I just think in his long-term future, for him in the big picture, it was something he felt was a great move, and I think sometimes when situations happen like that, you scratch your head and you wonder, but if you just wait and you’re patient, it’ll all begin to make sense. And I think his will make sense.â€￾"

"If you just wait and you're patient, it'll all begin to make sense". That could be a couple months or a couple years.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
Why the **** do people think Chicago is such an irresistible job? They are not good enough to make me worry.

This is comical.... Do you not understand the relationship Fred has with that staff, how close it is to Iowa, that they have a great roster (and a top 10 player in the league if he 90% recovers from some tough injuries)?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Read this thread. Was panicked. Now is taking a bubble bath.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Wait... who is then? Chicago is honestly the lone job I AM worried about. And really not in any case, particularly this summer.

Or did you mean UIC?
what makes it attractive?

One very good injury riddled player. One good really old player. One decent prospect. One prospect who should be good but barely plays. Noah is a very good player but he's 30.

No real draft assets other than late-mid draft 1st rounders. Noah is a very good to I guess but he's 30.

Just because he knows a guy in charge? Because he played there for a bit? Newsflash, Fred played at ISU and he knows quite a few people here...

It just doesn't make sense. Now if OKC offers him and Durant Westbrook and Ibaka are there, that's a little scary.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

One very good injury riddled player. One good really old player. One decent prospect. One prospect who should be good but barely plays.

No real draft assets other than late-mid draft 1st rounders. Noah is a very good to I guess but he's 30.

Just because he knows a guy in charge? Because he played there for a bit? Newsflash, Fred played at ISU and he knows quite a few people here...

It just doesn't make sense. Now if OKC offers him and Durant Westbrook and Ibaka are there, that's a little scary.

Wrong conference as well if the goal is to win a championship any time soon.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's probably all about Fred's relationship with Gar Forman.

Which is obviously a much more important and meaningful relationship than the one Fred has with Ames and ISU.

This is comical.... Do you not understand the relationship Fred has with that staff, how close it is to Iowa, that they have a great roster (and a top 10 player in the league if he 90% recovers from some tough injuries)?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

One very good injury riddled player. One good really old player. One decent prospect. One prospect who should be good but barely plays.

Rose is a question mark, I'll give that. But when healthy - an MVP caliber. Top market team that can attract and sign free agents, unlike Minnesota and a host of others. I really think he stays midwest if he jumps at all.

I agree too much is made of his connection to Forman. One year at ISU and at all while with the Bulls?

Personally - and others disagree, with reasonable points - but I think OKC flames out in a year when they lose Durant - and I think they will. And I'm not convinced he's any better a bet than Rose.

People suggest that he snubbed Boston and perhaps Golden State in recent openings. Again - I think he stays somewhat close if he were to jump. That limits the options pretty substantially.

But as stated - I'm not worried about his jumping this summer at all.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Those days are long gone. I actually think Minnesota is going to be the job to watch out for in a year or two.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
Is there any chance that Romar was talking about the fact that in a couple months that ISU will be a dominant team in the Big12 and TJ would be part of it, which is why he wanted to leave to be part of a considerably better team???

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Which is obviously a much more important and meaningful relationship than the one Fred has with Ames and ISU.

I agree with you. I was just answering his question.

If Fred is interested in coaching in the NBA, either now or later on, he will be looking for a good GM and he knows the Bulls GM personally so it has to be taken in to consideration.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It's probably all about Fred's relationship with Gar Forman.

Which way? Fred certainly doesn't need help getting a job and is Fred going to choose his team based on the GM or on the players? He already turned down interviewing with Golden State and their GM used to be his agent. Fred has a lot of connections.

And nowhere does he have more than in Ames.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013

Chicago has Rose (when healthy), Mirotic, Butler, Noah, Gibson, Gasol and Brooks who are all pretty good players. And I'm not sure why Fred would want to coach in the Western Conference, as Gunnerclone mentioned. Your best bet to win the finals is to take a good team in the East where you'll only have to deal with the West in the Finals, instead of every round of the playoffs.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Holy stupid batman!

A) Romar knows nothing of CFH future plans.
B) Otz owes no explanation to him other than he is leaving if his contract was up
C) If CFH was to go to the NBA why the hell would his supposed right hand man Matt A go to StJ? He would surely be making the jump with him.
D) CFH just had heart surgery, it is possible, CFH could have had complications that would delay his ability to coach this year. Maybe Otz was given more responsibility because of this.
E) If Otz left Wash for any reason other than to come home as he said, I am sure it was to get the best job he could before the Wash coaching staff was put on notice.
F) Otz got the best job available to him. CFH needed someone that knew the program with Matt A leaving, and him having to have surgery during the open recruiting period.

Calm the F down. CFH isn't going anywhere. Step off the ledge. Everything done makes sense if you take off your paranoid glasses for a minute.

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
Is there any chance that Romar was talking about the fact that in a couple months that ISU will be a dominant team in the Big12 and TJ would be part of it, which is why he wanted to leave to be part of a considerably better team???

No! Don't you know it's always the worst case scenario? Stop using logical thinking.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Holy stupid batman!

A) Romar knows nothing of CFH future plans.
B) Otz owes no explanation to him other than he is leaving if his contract was up
C) If CFH was to go to the NBA why the hell would his supposed right hand man Matt A go to StJ? He would surely be making the jump with him.
D) CFH just had heart surgery, it is possible, CFH could have had complications that would delay his ability to coach this year. Maybe Otz was given more responsibility because of this.
E) If Otz left Wash for any reason other than to come home as he said, I am sure it was to get the best job he could before the Wash coaching staff was put on notice.
F) Otz got the best job available to him. CFH needed someone that knew the program with Matt A leaving, and him having to have surgery during the open recruiting period.

Calm the F down. CFH isn't going anywhere. Step off the ledge. Everything done makes sense if you take off your paranoid glasses for a minute.

God damnit. That's too concise and reasonable.

Go stand in the corner.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Rose is a question mark, I'll give that. But when healthy - an MVP caliber. Top market team that can attract and sign free agents, unlike Minnesota and a host of others. I really think he stays midwest if he jumps at all.

I agree too much is made of his connection to Forman. One year at ISU and at all while with the Bulls?

Personally - and others disagree, with reasonable points - but I think OKC flames out in a year when they lose Durant - and I think they will. And I'm not convinced he's any better a bet than Rose.

People suggest that he snubbed Boston and perhaps Golden State in recent openings. Again - I think he stays somewhat close if he were to jump. That limits the options pretty substantially.

But as stated - I'm not worried about his jumping this summer at all.

I think Rose is done being what he was. That ship has sailed. Maybe he'll get to elite status again but he can't carry a team like he did his MVP year. The multiple knee injuries is terrifying.

Durants is just one injury and I think he's been the #2 player to LeBron for awhile before his injury.
Hell I'd rather have Westbrook than Rose. Let alone Westbrook plus Durant vs Rose.

I don't think Fred is leaving on the hopes he can attract talent to that city. He's going to a young pre-built team with young stars. He can be very picky. Chicago just isn't the bell of the ball, even though I know there are a lot of Bulls fans in Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron