Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
If Fred leaves, seems to me he missed an opportunity to cement quite a legacy as head coach in Ames. Seems like a mistake to me. NBA will always be there if he remains successful at the college level.

Most NBA GM's wait to a coaching prospect goes full-open heart surgery and is limping around in a hospital with a walker

then BAMMMMM ! An NBA team offers him a contract. damn straight

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I don't want to post any more because i feel like it just fans the flame (but hey, after JPs presser today, he's not reading anymore, right?)

We all know there will be rumors for as long as Fred is here about the NBA. And Fred will continue to say how much he likes it here, lived 5 blocks from Hilton as a kid, etc. And we know if Fred were our coach for 35 years...there would STILL be that anxiety among our fans each year.

My thoughts.....WAY too many variables in this scenario without more people leaking info. Meaning, essentially this would go like this...Bulls GM contacts Fred a few months back and says, "you are our guy" and Fred agrees...but says "SHHHHH." In the meantime, St Johns hires Mullen....Fred winks at Matt A to let him know that'd be the best move....all while he calls TJ (with consultation with JP who is recovering from surgery) and says, "keep this on the down low, but I'm leaving Ames here after my ticker is fixed....JP and I got a sweet deal for you...come here ASAP." TJ goes down the hall to his head coach "whoa boy...guess what, can you keep a secret? I'm going to be the new Iowa State head coach...but don't tell anyone.....we all are going to lay low a few months." Meanwhile, Fred is thinking "wow, I can't move and am sore as hell....but i can't wait for May/June so I can ditch ISU, hit the pre-draft trail, and move my family to my new NBA city...squeeze in taking Paige to KU to go to college and not be a part of that transition because of my new NBA job, need to get my Cyclones.tv subscription so I can watch the pre-season top 10 team I built compete for a big 12 title, chance at national title....it's all coming together."

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
People are delusional if they think the comment was a Washington thing. Freaking delusional.

everything that has happened since TJ came back supports this:
-him canceling head coaching interviews that he was perfect for
-all of his comments about coming back were about coming "home" and **** like that. Hardly mentioned hoiberg at all. He was talking like a head coach.
-the sudden change in recruiting strategy that emphasizes mid-major talent transfers and regional talent.

Tj obviously told romer that he is guaranteed to be next head coach.

You are off the deep end my friend.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Most NBA GM's wait to a coaching prospect goes full-open heart surgery and is limping around in a hospital with a walker

then BAMMMMM ! An NBA team offers him a contract. damn straight

Are you saying A coach that just had open heart surgery that will be out for a month and not at full strength for months isn't what NBA teams are looking for?

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I was struck by Pollard's presser when he said one of the things he was going to do was stop reading message boards. Hint - this one. Said it hurts him, coaches, and players. I figured the board had some impact but was surprised to hear him mention it specifically in an emotional presser. On the other hand, I would say that in 2015 you have to be able to deal with social media and message boards. They don't necessarily represent the fanbase as a whole. And I would absolutely implore coaches, players, and administrators to not extrapolate what they read on message boards to the state of Cyclone Nation. I would hope they are wise enough to know that. But as the old adage goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
If Fred was leaving "in a few months", it would be for an NBA job most likely with a roster that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs this year. He'd be passing up a chance to coach a sure-fire top-10 team and potentially take the alma mater he loves to a Final Four. Not only that, on a surgically-repaired heart, he'd be turning in his 35-game schedule for an 82-plus-preseason-plus-postseason schedule, meaning his stress/work level literally doubles. And such a schedule would mean he'd be passing up a chance to watch most of his son's basketball games and he'd have to leave the comfy confines of living surrounded by family in a city that sells out his home games.

Yeah, sorry, but I don't buy it. The real question here is, what is Lorenzo smoking, and can I buy a couple ounces of it?

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I was struck by Pollard's presser when he said one of the things he was going to do was stop reading message boards. Hint - this one. Said it hurts him, coaches, and players. I figured the board had some impact but was surprised to hear him mention it specifically in an emotional presser. On the other hand, I would say that in 2015 you have to be able to deal with social media and message boards. They don't necessarily represent the fanbase as a whole. And I would absolutely implore coaches, players, and administrators to not extrapolate what they read on message boards to the state of Cyclone Nation. I would hope they are wise enough to know that. But as the old adage goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

I noticed that too...obviously social media/boards are part of the new era of sports and an admin/coach would need to decide what, if any, attention they paid. But, it's clear folks do...how many times do you see the news media pull their slant/story lines from here? This is the new "watercooler" if you will. And I'm sure JP wants to continue to do what is best for the program and wants to get a "pulse"...but as we all know, there are times this place gets out of hand with speculation, unfair criticism of coaches/players, etc. Maybe he would just read for a laught? "Boy, these idiots are WAY off...I'd NEVER consider that person to replace CPR..."

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
This thread has me....

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

deanslist

Oct 7, 2011
Didn't take time to read all the posts, my guess is TJ's wife is pregnant, wanted to be closer to family/support network. That and all the other good things that come with being in Ames/Iowa State!
I like this rational speculation.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I noticed that too...obviously social media/boards are part of the new era of sports and an admin/coach would need to decide what, if any, attention they paid. But, it's clear folks do...how many times do you see the news media pull their slant/story lines from here? This is the new "watercooler" if you will. And I'm sure JP wants to continue to do what is best for the program and wants to get a "pulse"...but as we all know, there are times this place gets out of hand with speculation, unfair criticism of coaches/players, etc. Maybe he would just read for a laught? "Boy, these idiots are WAY off...I'd NEVER consider that person to replace CPR..."

Agree. And in a way it's too bad that this is now the "watercooler", because imo anonymous + social media always seems to lead straight to cess pool. Not really a representation of humanity.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If Fred was leaving "in a few months", it would be for an NBA job most likely with a roster that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs this year. He'd be passing up a chance to coach a sure-fire top-10 team and potentially take the alma mater he loves to a Final Four. Not only that, on a surgically-repaired heart, he'd be turning in his 35-game schedule for an 82-plus-preseason-plus-postseason schedule, meaning his stress/work level literally doubles. And such a schedule would mean he'd be passing up a chance to watch most of his son's basketball games and he'd have to leave the comfy confines of living surrounded by family in a city that sells out his home games.

Yeah, sorry, but I don't buy it. The real question here is, what is Lorenzo smoking, and can I buy a couple ounces of it?

This. In the NBA most good coaches get burnedout, and the average a bad coaches get fired.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Didn't take time to read all the posts, my guess is TJ's wife is pregnant, wanted to be closer to family/support network. That and all the other good things that come with being in Ames/Iowa State!

Wow that would pretty much fit perfectly.....

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Is it possible HCFH coaches only at home games this season while he recovers and Otz will coach away games?

Obviously this won't happen, he should be in better health by the time the season rolls around than he was last year. What's the recovery period to be 100% from this operation. TJ could perhaps coach for the European games if that is too soon and too much stress/travel.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

No doubt. Sounds to me like a bitter coach who's seat continues to get warmer with each passing (less than stellar) season, who just had his lead recruiter hired away to an up and coming, winning program and is a wee bit bitter grapes.

Perhaps his goal was by throwing some "coded" message out there it will ultimately hurt ISU recruiting and therefore hurt Otz. Not all people play the game with grace and elegance. It happens when people feel the world crumbing around them. If something like this is what's going on, the good thing is that we have a smart enough fan base not to buy into it and fuel his fire.....:jimlad:

Status
Not open for further replies.