Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I hate to say it, but I think he's gone. I don't have any information, other than in the last month, what affirmative talk has there been (other than Pete selling papers) that he will be around next season? Even TJO rebuttal in the rag was very noncommittal.
Probably the same talk that was said the last 4 off-seasons. Nothing.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Do I even want to know what got IAStubborn scrubbed from existence in this thread?

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
I assume Romar was referring to us getting Diallo and being pre-season number 1 and going 40-0

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
I know it doesn't mean much, but Charlie Henry's latest tweet gives me even more confidence that Hoiberg will be back (screenshot of group convo with Hoiberg communicating plays he saw in NBA games to be used at ISU).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Honestly, I didn't. I didn't dismiss the idea that he would dare to consider the NBA like some people did. But before Matt left and TJ surprisingly and oddly came back, I felt very good about him staying next year (I was really worried during the 2013-2014 season).

Like I've said, if you want to be paranoid about him leaving, the last month has given a person a thousand reasons to be concerned.

And like I said, I am hopeful that when push comes to shove, he'd have a hard time leaving. The only connection I have to him is through a couple of different people. But I've heard that it would be hard for him to leave because he likes what he means to Iowa State and Ames. He'd lose some of that if he left. We'd still love him, but it wouldn't be the same and he would certainly hurt his legacy.

He would lose all of that. As far as Bulls fans are concerned, he was a guy who played there for a bit. He's not Jordan, he's not Pippen, hell, he's not even BJ Armstrong. He is Michael Jordan to ISU so I agree that it will be very hard for him to leave and that's why I don't think he will.

However, you are also correct that there have been things going on that make a person wonder. TJ tops the list. MA makes you wonder to a lesser extent. Williams maybe not so much because there's no way that anyone told a college kid something this big. I would also argue that MA leaving could indicate Fred isn't going anywhere or at least MA didn't know about it because I think he would have wanted to go to the NBA with him. Maybe we just brought TJ back because he was the best for the position. Maybe WIlliams loved MA and Diallo did as well. See, for every argument for one side, there is one for the other so I can't really make a case either way.

I will say that if he leaves, his legacy won't be the same. Sure, we've won two tournaments but we haven't won the regular season and the Sweet 16 is as good as it's gotten. I won't necessarily blame him for leaving but I do think a lot of the fanbase will and I don't know that they'll harbor great feelings toward him. That all depends on what happens afterward too, I suppose. If the next guy builds on this thing and takes us to knew heights he'll be looked at similar to Orr. He got us on our feet and set the stage for some pretty cool stuff. If we flame out, then I think he'll take the blame, right or wrong.

Again, I don't feel like he'll leave soon but you can't just ignore some of the things going on and say "Can't be." There's a viable argument either way.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
Sorry if I missed it or if it's been posted. I didn't see it, but I certainly may have missed it. Been away for awhile and really hadn't heard about the change in staff and been trying to catch up on my Cyclone news. Is this true?

• Assistant and ace recruiter TJ Otzleberger left UW to rejoin Iowa State and become coach-in-waiting for former NBA executive Fred Hoiberg.

Link

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sorry if I missed it or if it's been posted. I didn't see it, but I certainly may have missed it. Been away for awhile and really hadn't heard about the change in staff and been trying to catch up on my Cyclone news. Is this true?

Link

Well it's clear that's the story Washington is peddling. I think it's clear romer thinks TJ is coach in waiting.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I hate to say it, but I think he's gone. I don't have any information, other than in the last month, what affirmative talk has there been (other than Pete selling papers) that he will be around next season? Even TJO rebuttal in the rag was very noncommittal.

Damn Fred not doing more to rebut these rumors. What possibly could he have going on right now that is more important than defusing a CF meltdown.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I'll disagree that he feels that much more pressure to win here than he would anywhere else. He's not stupid and he knows that he would be pretty much loved here if he was as successful as Mad Fran over at Iowa. The fact that he is elite level successful is a bonus. He wouldn't have that built in love in Chicago.

I agree, he wouldn't have that "built-in love" as you say, but he wouldn't have that "I let you down" thoughts cross his mind like he maybe does here. Wasn't referring to it as pressure as I doubt he has any fears of job insecurity or pressure here at ISU to win other than his own drive to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron