Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...on-big-personalities-and-conflicting-agendas/

CDNkMdQVEAEDacI.png

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
In regards to T.J. Otzelberger, his two-year contract was set to expire this year. But did he give any reasons why he chose to go back to Iowa State?

“I think if you look in the next few months it will become pretty obvious. And I’ll just leave it at that.”

Head Coach in waiting. Commence the meltdown.

meltdown.jpg

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is beyond irritating. I can't believe we are going to replace hoiberg with TJ. That's a ******* disaster waiting to happen and you think TJ would be smart enough to not be the first guy to follow a legend. And you would think that Iowa state/pollard would not be stupid enough to hire him.

We'd go from a national program to basically the level of iOS, at best. Barf.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
If Fred leaves, seems to me he missed an opportunity to cement quite a legacy as head coach in Ames. Seems like a mistake to me. NBA will always be there if he remains successful at the college level.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Well look how it has gotten at this point. Id probably head for hills with my millions of dollars too. Love you either way Fred.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
Cue everyone rushing to the ledge that this is about Fred to Bulls, Fred to the Moon, Fred to anywhere but ISU.

Something tells me this is more about UW than us.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
IF it has something to do with Fred... I wouldn't be surprised if it's more to do with Fred's health than his desire to be an NBA head coach.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I would be pretty ****** if we replaced Hoiberg with Otz. He can't get a sniff at any other D1 places and has almost no relationships built with current recruits since he just got here.

Seems like a great guy and a good recruiter but there are proven, high profile guys out there ISU can land.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Another theory, some sort of recruiting/sanctions angle.... recruiting violations at Washington or something of that nature?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
You mean a coach under fire of a team that finished 16-15 after starting 11-0, doesn't readily admit that an assistant left because they suck?

:shocked:

I know that JP thinks a lot of TJ. He probably even somewhat forced Fred's hand to retain him when Fred came on board (pure speculation - but Fred did mention TJ in his announcement speech).

But I have a very, very hard time believing any sort of "coach in waiting" arrangement is in play here. In any scenario really, but particularly given JP was laid up after his heart issue.

And equally so, I'm finding it difficult to see Fred jumping to the pros (even the Bulls which I've always felt was the most likely move to worry about) after his surgery this spring.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wow, I totally took that as UW would be looking for a new coaching staff soon....

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Wow talk about jumping the gun. Chill out! Freds not leaving. Seems you guys all forgot to put jimlads behind your post

Status
Not open for further replies.