Did you catch the .......Who's a better hire, McCaffery or Hoiberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
McCaffery has proven more as a head coach, but Hoiberg has waaaaaaay more upside if he pans out. We'll find out soon enough.

I don't really understand how he can have more of an upside if he works out.

If both coaches pan out, I think they both stick around and bring success to their respective schools. If Fran rebuilds, it's not likely that he'll bolt for another job, especially if he refills Carver and Barta gives him a raise.

I really like both hires. I really think we can FINALLY start seeing some competitive games in the state.

Reactions: CycloneErik

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Dont' forget how much Matty made of Fran's 100% graduation rate. How hard is that to do at the places he coached really?

Good luck keeping that average at EIU...if he can keep 100% of them out of prison I would be floored.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Both hires are good in their respective ways. Fran was a huge success at Sienna taking them to two NCAA tourny appearences. Fred is a good hire based on his connection to university and his knowledge of the NBA that could attract upper tier recruits in the future. In my biased opinion I believe that The Mayor will have more success because of his demeanor but I don't know much about Fran.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
segment on KXNO today?

Matt kept saying that on the face of it that the McCaffery hire was better, (remember,..... he laughed about Fred's hiring) but now that he has had a chance to think about it ................. (he still clearly likes the McCafery hire better) you can tell by the way he chooses his words.

Anyway, I think and feel that the college game is still a guards game, and I find myself wondering why a really good high school guard wouldn't jump at the chance to play for a man who can show you how to get to the BIG LEAGUE'S, because he's been there, and knows what it takes to get there.

Just my opinion, of course.
Anyone?

GO CYCLONES :yes:
How many players has Hoiberg put in the NBA? 1?

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I don't really understand how he can have more of an upside if he works out.

If both coaches pan out, I think they both stick around and bring success to their respective schools. If Fran rebuilds, it's not likely that he'll bolt for another job, especially if he refills Carver and Barta gives him a raise.

I really like both hires. I really think we can FINALLY start seeing some competitive games in the state.

FM has taken 3 teams to the NCAAs, moved on to the next team each opportunity he had, and has now moved on to Iowa. If he is successful at Iowa, you have no reason not to think he will move on to the next big job. He's obviously moving up the ladder of his career. The only way I see Fran sticking with Iowa long term is if he's hit his ceiling in success. Either way, Iowa loses.

Plus, he's an east coast guy. Why would he want to end his career in the midwest?

Last edited:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Based on work Franny no doubt.

Based on excitement of the fan base, Fred Hoiberg all the way..

Most of my Hawk friends thought Fran was a nice hire, but a lot of them wondered how much different a hire he was than Lichlighter.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Hoiberg is a great hire for reasons that have nothing to do with coaching. He heals Cyclone Nation.

Er, he'll also have more talent to work with than McCaffery will, at least this coming year. :yes:

Reactions: Balrog

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Will Fran increase Iowa ticket sales and attendance to a respectable number? Hoiberg will for ISU.

Is Fran able to keep his current players and recruits? Hoiberg has for ISU.

Is Fran a long term hire? or will he leave if successful? Expectation is that Hoiberg will stay for life.

Fran has experience. Hoiberg has everything else. As long as Hoiberg gets the experienced assistants he wants, Hoiberg is the better hire both short term and long term.

Fran is gone if successful, and if not successful then you don't want him.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
See, here is where FM is FAR different from GMAC or Lickliter. GMAC and Lickliter both had mostly ALL of their coaching success at one school, running one program, and not venturing from that program/system nearly at all. They had no experience with a different level of talent and no experience coaching in different leagues. I am always leery of hiring a head coach from a mid major if that mid major coach had all of his success at one school/system. FM, is entirely different. He was the head coach at three different programs in three different conferences. Further, he took each of those schools to the NCAA tourney at least one time (Sienna, North Carolina Greensboro, and Lehigh). On top of his extensive head coaching experience, he was also an assistant coach at Notre Dame, where he recruited some of the top talent in the midwest.

Fred Hoiberg, on the other hand, has ZERO head coaching experience, ZERO experience recruiting, and ZERO experience hiring assistant coaching staffs.

Hoiberg may work out at ISU....just like FM may work out at Iowa. No one knows, and no one will know for another 4-5 years. One thing we can say for certain: when looking at the two resumes, FM was obviously the stronger hire as a head coach. He has more experience in literally every category at the college level. I'm not saying that I think Hoiberg was a horrible hire....I think he will rally the ISU fan base, and I think that is DEFINITELY worth something if you are Jamie Pollard. However, if we are comparing resumes, there is no doubt that FM has a better resume than Hoiberg.

ok... FH doesnt have a resume... so its like comparing an empty bottle of pepsi to an almost full one....

obviously the almost full one looks better because you just have had a little sip and there is still actually something in it. But we already drank the whole bottle of OUR pepsi about 20 years ago and it tasted grrrreat and we are jsut looking forward to a fresh bottle of the same. :smile::smile::smile:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd be interested to hear who Matt thinks is the best hire between Hoiberg, McCaffery, or McDermott. I think that his answer to that question would instantly remove any credibility.

Reactions: Balrog

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Hoiberg has more "coaching experience" than BJ Armstrong. Hoiberg was on the Coaching Staff of the Timberwolves for a while and then moved to the front office. He was then promoted to Vice President of Operations. Armstrong was moved to the front office of the Bulls, then served as a Scout, and finally was an analyst. Not exactly being promoted like Hoiberg was.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think it is a fair question and made for an interesting coversation.

I was shocked at first, but have really warmed up to Pollard's decision to go this route. It will pay immediate dividends.

The Hawks may have made the right hire, but it will be a long road back.

Hawk4Life25

Nov 16, 2009
Both schools have coaches who meet a certian need. Iowa needed a new coach and it brought one in with a new style of play, Fran is seen as personable, and willing to roll up his sleeves and return the Iowa program to relevance. ISU was forced to make a hire after McDermott left for a situation with better security. Pollard takes a big gamble with Hoiberg but it has a lot of upside.

Regarding the whole discussion about keeping current players on the roster and transfers. I hope everyone understands when you make a coaching change that there a serveral reasons for the change (not all are listed). 1) Coach is horrible 2)players and coaches don't fit or 3) lack of administrative support.

Iowa has had some players leave, which you can attribute to a variety of reasons. Recruits have bailed on their LOI because there are no holdovers from the previous coaching staff (i.e. asst. coaches). Meanwhile ISU retained their best recruiter in TJ which is a smart move because talent hasn't been ISU's problem over the last couple of years.

Fran is in the process of cleaning house at Iowa and bringing in his players. Fuller probably would've helped out this year but he's gone and there is no need to complain about it. Fuller's mind was made up before Fran was hired, he was leaving.

I hope both programs can make it back to where they are in the conversation for the NCAA tournament again. No offense to UNI but the state of Iowa as a whole is viewed in a different way with relevant basketball programs from BCS conferences.

Both fan bases need to remain patient as each program is going to encounter challenges on their road back to relevance. ISU will need to be patient with Hoiberg as he will probably drop some early games due to inexperience. Iowa will need to be patient and understand that the program won't be back in one year....it will take time.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Both schools have coaches who meet a certian need. Iowa needed a new coach and it brought one in with a new style of play, Fran is seen as personable, and willing to roll up his sleeves and return the Iowa program to relevance. ISU was forced to make a hire after McDermott left for a situation with better security. Pollard takes a big gamble with Hoiberg but it has a lot of upside.

Regarding the whole discussion about keeping current players on the roster and transfers. I hope everyone understands when you make a coaching change that there a serveral reasons for the change (not all are listed). 1) Coach is horrible 2)players and coaches don't fit or 3) lack of administrative support.

Iowa has had some players leave, which you can attribute to a variety of reasons. Recruits have bailed on their LOI because there are no holdovers from the previous coaching staff (i.e. asst. coaches). Meanwhile ISU retained their best recruiter in TJ which is a smart move because talent hasn't been ISU's problem over the last couple of years.

Fran is in the process of cleaning house at Iowa and bringing in his players. Fuller probably would've helped out this year but he's gone and there is no need to complain about it. Fuller's mind was made up before Fran was hired, he was leaving.

I hope both programs can make it back to where they are in the conversation for the NCAA tournament again. No offense to UNI but the state of Iowa as a whole is viewed in a different way with relevant basketball programs from BCS conferences.

Both fan bases need to remain patient as each program is going to encounter challenges on their road back to relevance. ISU will need to be patient with Hoiberg as he will probably drop some early games due to inexperience. Iowa will need to be patient and understand that the program won't be back in one year....it will take time.

Good post, and I agree that both teams need to get back to a point where they aren't getting embarassed by the MVC schools they play every year. ISU and Iowa should be beating UNI and Drake regularly no matter how well UNI and Drake are playing.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I dont think the blackjack comparison, and saying you could go broke or you could strike it big, was very good. Because any coaching hire is a bit of a gamble, even Fran.

Id liken it more to investing it in the stock market. With Fran, you've got yourself a nice index fund, that while not guaranteed to succeed, overall has a pretty good track record, with a fairly balanced resume. You wont typically see a huge drop, but your upside isnt as large either.

Hoiberg is more like investing in a specific company. This company has excelled in every market it has entered in the past and seems to have a really smart president running the ship. Now its decided to break into a certain international market that could be very lucrative. While it has plenty of experience selling its product, it has very little experience operating in this market, making this a big gamble. If they succeed, there's a huge upside, but if they fail they risk tarnishing their global image. If this company and its successful CEO can hire some consultants who have had experience operating in this market for other companies, they may be able to have a lot of success in this new market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonecy and Balrog

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
For what it's worth, I've talked to almost a dozen Iowa fans in the past few days and they don't know who their coach is. Not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.