Did you catch the .......Who's a better hire, McCaffery or Hoiberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
For what it's worth, I've talked to almost a dozen Iowa fans in the past few days and they don't know who their coach is. Not one of them.

129165187334369262.jpg

jdonohue

Oct 1, 2009
Seems to me this question is a lot like asking who had the best draft in the NFl this past weekend. I don't think you can honestly or fairly answer this question on April 29, 2010. (You have to at least wait until April 30th! :biglaugh:) But seriously, we won't know for at least 2 years, wouldn't you say...probably more like 3 even.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Is their any reason both hires wont be good ones? Iowa and ISU can both have programs going to the NCAA tourny. Remember the 80s and 90s when Davis was coaching Iowa and Orr and Floyd coached Iowa teams gave us great games to watch. Why cannt we have that again. BB was fun for both sides. It was all going so well until Floyd showed up and took ISU to new places and Iowa fan got jealous and wanted more.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Is their any reason both hires wont be good ones? Iowa and ISU can both have programs going to the NCAA tourny. Remember the 80s and 90s when Davis was coaching Iowa and Orr and Floyd coached Iowa teams gave us great games to watch. Why cannt we have that again. BB was fun for both sides. It was all going so well until Floyd showed up and took ISU to new places and Iowa fan got jealous and wanted more.

Isn't that the truth. Hawk fans don't like to admit it, but I really remember some coworkers being that way.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines

You are absolutely right.
Tom just wasn't "doing enough" for the Hawks, and they ran him!
That was the day that I lost ALL RESPECT for anything related to that University.

"If Iowa State (lowly ISU), can get it done so quickly, we need to make a change."

Getting to the tournament almost every year wasn't enough for them.
(Sorry, I got off the thread topic.)

GO CYCLONES:yes:

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I am always leery of hiring a head coach from a mid major if that mid major coach had all of his success at one school/system. FM, is entirely different. He was the head coach at three different programs in three different conferences. Further, he took each of those schools to the NCAA tourney at least one time (Sienna, North Carolina Greensboro, and Lehigh).

This part, as far as mid-major choices, is a decent guide. Taking multiple schools shows it isn't just a one-trick pony. Winning games in the tournament (as Siena has) shows he can compete against high-level teams, not just win MAAC titles.

That still guarantees nothing, but if people are talking purely about a coach's track record, you could do a lot worse than FM

Reactions: CyBobby

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
For what it's worth, I've talked to almost a dozen Iowa fans in the past few days and they don't know who their coach is. Not one of them.

So, what you're saying is that the Hawk excitement meter is not pegged?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Will Fran increase Iowa ticket sales and attendance to a respectable number? Hoiberg will for ISU.

Is Fran able to keep his current players and recruits? Hoiberg has for ISU.

Is Fran a long term hire? or will he leave if successful? Expectation is that Hoiberg will stay for life.

Fran has experience. Hoiberg has everything else. As long as Hoiberg gets the experienced assistants he wants, Hoiberg is the better hire both short term and long term.

Fran is gone if successful, and if not successful then you don't want him.

I think your right when someone like myself...who cannot afford season tickets plans on going to some games....:yes:

Count on Fred getting it done and filling Hilton on a reguar basis....:yes:

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
Originally Posted by cdekovic
On the surface, I would have to say that FM is a better/safer hire. But so was Lickliter. I don't think it's even a reasonable question at this point. The question needs to be answered in stages.

Stage 1 - ISU has kept all their signees and may have a transfer return. In fact, ISU has another signee that was being recruited by Indiana, Maryland, Missouri and Georgetown.
Iowa lost 2 recruits and a player AFTER" the new coach came on board

Stage 2 - ???

Stage 3 - Profit!

Sorry, too good to pass up.

Underpants_Gnomes-4xq8xb-d.jpg

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My take - McCaffery has the potential capacity for short-term success at Iowa, and Hoiberg has the potential capacity for long-term stability at ISU.

I view McCaffery's hiring much like Iowa's hirings of Lute Olson and Tom Davis. Both brought quick success and stability at a relatively high level of play for Iowa. However, Olson left Iowa because he felt "forced out", while Davis most certainly was "forced out". For whatever reason, Iowa basketball coaches do not have near the longevity nor room for error that their football coaches have (in the last 30 years, Iowa has had at least 6 basketball coaches whereas they've only had 2 football coaches).

Hoiberg, on the other hand, I view as having the potential to be in a similar position as Kryzezewski or Boeheim. Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that Hoiberg is going to have that kind of success here (although I do dream of him bringing ISU to Final Fours and championships to ISU). What I'm saying is if he sees any kind of success, especially early on in his coaching career, he's the kind of person that could be here for 25-30 years or more, and that kind of tenure at the very least gives us stability Johnny Orr-style (the guy would still be coaching if he weren't in his 80s), at best puts ISU into the position of being a national program. I know I'm dreaming a little bit, but that's the kind of hire that Hoiberg is - either ISU is going to reach new heights in program stability and success, or this experiment is going to go down in flames.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
One big point for Hoiberg in this discussion is what he will do for attendance. Even with as bad as this team is expected to be Hilton will be full. Will McCaffery be able to fill Carver this year? I highly doubt it. Carver may fill up again when he starts getting wins, but until then don't expect more than a 1/2 - 1/3 full arena. This alone will make Fred's job easier, not only in his support from the AD, but also in recruiting.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Wasn't Lick the 2007 NABC coach of the year @ Butler? That served him well at Iowa, didn't it? Allfraud was a failure at Iowa, yet he's had success in New Mexico. Former Green Bay Packer greats Bart Star and Forest Gregg had marginal success as coaches, yet Larry Bird was successful. My point is, coaching success depends on numerous intangibles. When it comes to potential upside, the Mayor gets my vote as the better hire for all the reasons already expressed in this thread. It'll be fun to watch the whole thing pan out.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Originally Posted by cdekovic
On the surface, I would have to say that FM is a better/safer hire. But so was Lickliter. I don't think it's even a reasonable question at this point. The question needs to be answered in stages.

Stage 1 - ISU has kept all their signees and may have a transfer return. In fact, ISU has another signee that was being recruited by Indiana, Maryland, Missouri and Georgetown.
Iowa lost 2 recruits and a player AFTER" the new coach came on board

Stage 2 - ???

Underpants_Gnomes-4xq8xb-d.jpg

Honestly, if Coach Hoiberg has the kind of success he is capable of, Stage 3 will be PROFIT! :wink:

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I'm saying that you made up that tidbit about "I talked to a dozen Hawk fans and they don't know who their coach is!"

How do you argue with something like that? Think about it, I live in Omaha and there is little iowa hawkeye news here. Unless you actively seek out iowa hawkeye information...how could you know? It isn't a household name. He doesn't have ties to iowa.

Thanks for calling me out though. Maybe you can email me so I can send you names and contact information to each hawkeye fan that has no idea who their head basetball coach is. Better yet, you can get mad at them when they say "Who cares about iowa basketball, they suck. Go hawkeye football!"

Status
Not open for further replies.