Krick leaving program, Jensen still deciding what he wants to do

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Really can't say I blame anybody who makes a decision to quit a sport in college. We've all been in positions where we do things we are no longer passionate about. It's incredibly draining, and the bigger the commitment the tougher it is to get through.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Some of these DL have put on a ton of weight, which can really hammer your body. I dont blame anyone who does this being ready to move on with life.

That's another thing. Look at Zach Spears. He never played for us but he lost a ton of weight since he graduated. Being a lineman is much more grueling than being a skill position player.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Those saying 4 in 5 years etc. should consider Rhoads could have kept krick. Especially knowing Jenson may leave. He could have given him a scholly instead he has signed 2 juco D-line and looking to sign another. With coe stepping up and irving at d line and now maybe 2 juco DTs krick likely would have seen less pt and Jensen may not want to have a dog fight for minutes. I didn't play d1 ball but I was a D lineman that had a scholarship and started as a freshman and then hung it up with 3 years eligibility left opting instead to pay my own way at ISU.

When stuff starts hurting all the time and you look at the prospect of not being able to throw a ball to your kid because your shoulders are so bad (which I can't now) and you start to question is it worth it? I decided to put the time I was into football into my academics and my future. I was ready to focus on the things that really mattered and for me that was no longer football. I don't regret it at all but football came with a cost I was no longer willing to pay. Instead I used my new free time doing internships and making connections that would advance my career. Some may not understand the starter leaving, but in fact it makes more sense. Had I never seen the field I probably would have stuck it out but I had achieved my goal and proved (to myself) I could do it. That made it easier to walk away.

Anyway, you gotta be having fun and enjoy it a lot to want to work so hard all year around. I am sure he has a lot of guilt he is weighing right now because while his heart may not be in it he loves his teammates and may not want to let them down. I know thats how I felt. Give the guy a break it's a college sport we all spend way to much time obsessing over. Hope he sticks it out but don't blame him if he doesn't.

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Pompey, then Bevins, now Krick and possibly Jensen... Krick is not a big loss IMO. Coe, Irving and Cousin can get most of the minutes, and hopefully Jensen will stick it out. Not sure what to make of Aka just yet, but he can provide more depth if needed. Also have heard good things about Vernell Trent.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sorry. But I just can't let you make that false impression. THIS was in an article by Chris on Cyclone Fanatic quoting Paul Rhoads about Austin Albertis quitting football:

He had graduated and had started 3 games as a junior. And wanted to move on in life. UNLESS you are saying that CPR is a Liar.

Since we keep losing fifth year people who redshirted, are we wasting people by redshirting them especially in the line? Seems some people are contributing a year on the field in games.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Since we keep losing fifth year people who redshirted, are we wasting people by redshirting them especially in the line? Seems some people are contributing a year on the field in games.

I'm guessing there aren't many true freshmen who could compete at DT anyway.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Lol are people really upset thst a kid with his degree doesn't want to pay out of pocket more than he has to? Seems pretty smart to go to work and not more into debt.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Bummer, but at least they're leaving or considering leaving now instead of quitting after spring practice or right before fall camp. Good luck to Krick and Jensen...there's more to life than football.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

How many of these fifth year people who redshirted have quit?

IMO, you are making a mountain out of a molehill. It happens. A girl from our area was a 3 year starter at Nebraska who did not redshirt but had her degree in only 3 years and wanted to go to chiropractic school. She did not go out her senior year to get started at chiropractic school.

We have DeAndre Kane on our basketball team. Would it make you feel better if Jensen did what Kane did? Sit out the first year, play the next three, graduate, and then transfer to another school for his last year? What would you think then?

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Bummer, but at least they're leaving or considering leaving now instead of quitting after spring practice or right before fall camp. Good luck to Krick and Jensen...there's more to life than football.

This is the issue for me. If either of them want to hang it up or don't have their hearts in it 100%, then by all means, don't play. However, for the sake of the Program which was counting on them to play next year, I just hope they gave CPR ample notice of how they were feeling so that we had time to recruit a JUCO guy to replace them. Since we have not landed any Juco NG or DT's yet, it doesn't appear from the outside in, that happened.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems like a lot of hindsight here, especially the criticism of who you should or shouldn't redshirt.

One other factor that hasn't been mentioned, though it might be implied in the comments about impact on their bodies, is how much work they are expected to do in the weight room all year long. For some, it just may not be worth it.

Krick and Jensen have contributed admirably. Wish they would stay, but there are good reasons for them not to stay.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Does anyone else think that this is why Wendell Taiese was offered so late because of his athletic ability and size he could be moved over to DT and if anything just take up space? With his size he would mostly require a double team. So, maybe CPR and staff saw this coming with these two leaving the program and decided to get a kid that is already to size to plug in. Any thoughts about this? CPR did talk about his athletic abilities. Some of the kids brought into the program this year as recruits are ones that are already up to size. The coaches don't have to wait for them to gain 30-50 pounds to play like they have in the past.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is the issue for me. If either of them want to hang it up or don't have their hearts in it 100%, then by all means, don't play. However, for the sake of the Program which was counting on them to play next year, I just hope they gave CPR ample notice of how they were feeling so that we had time to recruit a JUCO guy to replace them. Since we have not landed any Juco NG or DT's yet, it doesn't appear from the outside in, that happened.

That sounds good from this side, but if I was in their shoes, I wouldn't say a word until I was sure I wasn't returning. If you say something and then come back, the coaches are possibly going to forever question your commitment. Even if it isn't conscious, it will be in the back of their minds and may affect their decisions about your opportunities and playing time for the rest of your career.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Does anyone else think that this is why Wendell Taiese was offered so late because of his athletic ability and size he could be moved over to DT and if anything just take up space? With his size he would mostly require a double team. So, maybe CPR and staff saw this coming with these two leaving the program and decided to get a kid that is already to size to plug in. Any thoughts about this? CPR did talk about his athletic abilities. Some of the kids brought into the program this year as recruits are ones that are already up to size. The coaches don't have to wait for them to gain 30-50 pounds to play like they have in the past.

I'm no expert, but my gut tells me that if this 350# OL had the additional skills (like speed and lateral mobility) to play DL, he would have had a ton more offers for playing OL or DL.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
That sounds good from this side, but if I was in their shoes, I wouldn't say a word until I was sure I wasn't returning. If you say something and then come back, the coaches are possibly going to forever question your commitment. Even if it isn't conscious, it will be in the back of their minds and may affect their decisions about your opportunities and playing time for the rest of your career.

Valid point. I guess I just look at Football as the ultimate TEAM sport. It is a grind no doubt, especially when the wins are far and few between. However, if I knew my teammates were counting on me to be there next year and I hadn't been honest with my coaches, then shame on me. I would be letting my teammates down and being selfish to some extent (that's what my ex Marine coach would have told me).

I get what you are saying, I'm just suggesting that if I am those guys last summer and I know I am going to graduate before the next season starts, I at least should be honest with myself and my coaches. They are the ones who gave me a free education, and to be up front about at least looking for a JUCO to take my spot and set a timeline of the end of the year to let the coaches know so they are not caught off guard.

He may not have realized his feelings until recently, but if I am him, I would feel some level of accountability to my teammates and my program. I would also not want to go out on a losing note to end my career. Not saying that is how he should look at it, but I guess it's just a different era now. I'm Old School, I admit it.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I agree, Duck, so far as as soon as the decision is made, let Coach know. If I haven't decided I'm keeping my doubts to myself. I think we are agreeing for the most part.