Krick leaving program, Jensen still deciding what he wants to do

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Valid point. I guess I just look at Football as the ultimate TEAM sport. It is a grind no doubt, especially when the wins are far and few between. However, if I knew my teammates were counting on me to be there next year and I hadn't been honest with my coaches, then shame on me. I would be letting my teammates down and being selfish to some extent (that's what my ex Marine coach would have told me).

I get what you are saying, I'm just suggesting that if I am those guys last summer and I know I am going to graduate before the next season starts, I at least should be honest with myself and my coaches. They are the ones who gave me a free education, & to be up front about at least looking for a JUCO to take my spot and set a timeline of the end of the year to let the coaches know so they are not caught off guard.

He may not have realized his feelings until recently, but if I am him, I would feel some level of accountability to my teammates and my program. I would also not want to go out on a losing note to end my career. Not saying that is how he should look at it, but I guess it's just a different era now. I'm Old School, I admit it.

If you're walking on, they're not giving you a free education. You're earning every bit of that yourself.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was speaking about Jensen. I was a walk on, I know all too well.

I'm sorry, I think that you guys are making assumptions without enough information to make an appropriate evaluation.

For example, maybe Brandon has a nagging injury that we know nothing about, and is deciding whether he wants to go through what it takes to play another year--perhaps even surgery, that he wouldn't otherwise need.

Or perhaps part of his decision is that he has told the coaches that if they manage to sign a JC defensive tackle to replace him, he'll go ahead andf graduate. Otherwise, if they need him, he'll come back.

Not anything I "know", just pointing out that there are possibilities unseen.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I'm sorry, I think that you guys are making assumptions without enough information to make an appropriate evaluation.

For example, maybe Brandon has a nagging injury that we know nothing about, and is deciding whether he wants to go through what it takes to play another year--perhaps even surgery, that he wouldn't otherwise need.

Or perhaps part of his decision is that he has told the coaches that if they manage to sign a JC defensive tackle to replace him, he'll go ahead andf graduate. Otherwise, if they need him, he'll come back.

Not anything I "know", just pointing out that there are possibilities unseen.

I admit that I know nothing of his circumstances and certainly not claiming I do. There could be multiple scenarios we don't know about. I was simply giving what an alternative perspective would be as a teammate, assuming that he is healthy. What concerns me about this is that we don't appear to be closing in on any NG types from Juco, and I have to believe we would have been had CPR known of this situation when the season began. The program is bigger than any one guy.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I admit that I know nothing of his circumstances and certainly not claiming I do. There could be multiple scenarios we don't know about. I was simply giving what an alternative perspective would be as a teammate, assuming that he is healthy. What concerns me about this is that we don't appear to be closing in on any NG types from Juco, and I have to believe we would have been had CPR known of this situation when the season began. The program is bigger than any one guy.
Apparently you missed the whole Terrrell Clinkscales thing--which makes more sense in retrospect.

Then there is this guy, whom CPR has apparently at least talked to lately...

Scout.com: David Moala Profile

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Apparently you missed the whole Terrrell Clinkscales thing--which makes more sense in retrospect.

Then there is this guy, whom CPR has apparently at least talked to lately...

Scout.com: David Moala Profile

Didn't miss out on Clinkscales. I think we will recruit that caliber of DL every time we get a chance at ISU, no matter what the circumstances are with guys leaving. Kind of like going after a Cam Newton on offense if he is available. My question with him would be if he knew there would be an opening from a starter leaving? I would think we would have had a much greater shot at landing him if Clinkscales knew that, but maybe it wouldn't have mattered?

I have not heard of the other guy. I'm sure CPR is addressing it. My point is that there almost ought to be an internal rule that if you are graduating with 1 year of eligibility left and you are strongly considering not using the 5th year, then notify the staff by X date, maybe coming out of Camp, so the staff knows who to target EARLY in recruiting. If we start the search now, we are way behind in the game, that's my point. And for all I know, that rule may be in place and maybe Jensen told CPR last summer, who knows? I am not slamming BJ at all, I'm just saying from a management perspective, that would be a fair rule to have in place. Fair to both parties.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Bevins was a huge loss. I have been to every Northwest game this year. That kid is a freak. He will get drafted out of NW, and i'd bet on it.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Didn't miss out on Clinkscales. I think we will recruit that caliber of DL every time we get a chance at ISU, no matter what the circumstances are with guys leaving. Kind of like going after a Cam Newton on offense if he is available. My question with him would be if he knew there would be an opening from a starter leaving? I would think we would have had a much greater shot at landing him if Clinkscales knew that, but maybe it wouldn't have mattered?

I have not heard of the other guy. I'm sure CPR is addressing it. My point is that there almost ought to be an internal rule that if you are graduating with 1 year of eligibility left and you are strongly considering not using the 5th year, then notify the staff by X date, maybe coming out of Camp, so the staff knows who to target EARLY in recruiting. If we start the search now, we are way behind in the game, that's my point. And for all I know, that rule may be in place and maybe Jensen told CPR last summer, who knows? I am not slamming BJ at all, I'm just saying from a management perspective, that would be a fair rule to have in place. Fair to both parties.

Only difference is we were his first offer. Some scout just happened to see him and moved him to the #1 JUCO DT in the country. Once word got out he blew up. Maybe in a different world he would've wanted to stick with us since we were the first to get the ball rolling. It's outside of CPR's control.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That sounds good from this side, but if I was in their shoes, I wouldn't say a word until I was sure I wasn't returning. If you say something and then come back, the coaches are possibly going to forever question your commitment. Even if it isn't conscious, it will be in the back of their minds and may affect their decisions about your opportunities and playing time for the rest of your career.

So long as the coaches are honest and straightforward when telling a kid they are purposely recruiting over his position when he's at the end of his career, then MAYBE a kid should consider being honest and straightforward with the coaches about their life plans.

Since #1 never happens, no worries about a kid keeping his plans to himself to avoid possible unintended consequences.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Another though... None of these kids gets a 4 or 5 year scholarship. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all scholarships annually renewing? CFH left a kid hanging and we all love him. No reason why players can't have THEIR best interests in mind since 99% of these kids will live with the bad knees, bad backs, bad joints, concussion related symptoms while NEVER receiving the hint of professional football dollars.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
He doesn't start you fool. He is in the rotation. From about game 7 on nobody has blocked him. Anything else.
Took a quick look, he's 5th on the team in sacks and TFL. Appears the whole line was "unblockable."

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

We offerred and missed on another juco dt and just made one to another juco end and dt today. And are going after hs dts and ends still. Probably will take 3 more d-lineman total per trey scott. Am guessing Jensen in Limbo doesnt help landing a commit though. Regardless of his decision he needs to make up his mind soon.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

How could you enforce an internal rule that a college graduate has to stay one more year for athletic competition?

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
He doesn't start you fool. He is in the rotation. From about game 7 on nobody has blocked him. Anything else.

Then he must be the worst d-lineman to ever play the game if he can't even produce with nobody blocking him. 24 tackles in 13 games. His numbers did not get better later in the season as you are trying to claim. Rather most of his tackles were recorded against the weaker teams on the schedule. He was mostly a non-factor against the better teams (keep in mind still lower division) on the schedule.

Reactions: Wesley

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron