Krick leaving program, Jensen still deciding what he wants to do

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Not sure that there is a Shane Burnham problem. Bevins left because he supposedly had some issues and never really felt comfortable at ISU. Krick leaving possibly because he is a non-schollie player. Jensen leaving because he has been at ISU for 4 years and quite possibly graduating and wants to move on. So not sure how you lay this on Shane Burnham unless you know something we don't.

It's easy. You just underrate the idea of college students graduating and turn that into some kind of negative. Players only graduate when they have problems with their coaches.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It's easy. You just underrate the idea of college students graduating and turn that into some kind of negative. Players only graduate when they have problems with their coaches.

And with Krick, who doesn't want to pay almost $10,000 and take 12 credits of classes you don't need or care about just to be a backup DT. :jimlad:

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
Austin Alburtis as well.

It is not normal that four guys in the rotation are giving up playing or transferring to a D-II school at one single position in five years. End of the bench or RS fresh that wasn't seeing the field is one thing. Projected starters or two deep guys who say they'd rather walk away than play? And almost all at one position? Odd.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Austin Alburtis as well.

It is not normal that four guys in the rotation are giving up playing or transferring to a D-II school at one single position in five years. End of the bench or RS fresh that wasn't seeing the field is one thing. Projected starters or two deep guys who say they'd rather walk away than play? And almost all at one position? Odd.

Umm....yeah. Alburtis had knee problems, from when he was in high school. He was also giving up his fifth year--like almost all of the other guys mentioned. And Bevins was a redshirt freshman who hadn't seen the field, in case you hadn't noticed.

Speaking of "hadn't noticed", apparently you hadn't noticed the attrition at just about every other position...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Austin Alburtis as well.

Sorry. But I just can't let you make that false impression. THIS was in an article by Chris on Cyclone Fanatic quoting Paul Rhoads about Austin Albertis quitting football:

It didn't take long for Rhoads to address the rumors that senior defensive tackle Austin Alburtis had quit the team. Rhoads said the following in his opening monologue about the defensive lineman."Austin Albertus has graduated this summer, to help boost what is already the number one graduation rate in the Big 12 at Iowa State, and has elected to forego his senior year of eligibility and move into the workplace."
So that's that. Alburtis was scheduled to be safely on Iowa State's two-deep, likely behind sophomore Jake McDonough.

He had graduated and had started 3 games as a junior. And wanted to move on in life. UNLESS you are saying that CPR is a Liar.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
D-Line is the hardest position group to recruit and just cannot build any depth there. Not directing blame or shame anywhere. I understand Krick not wanting to take on the added expense of tuition for credits not needed. But, dang.

Just stating an opinion. Yes, I am Captain Obvious.

skelly

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2006
The Dark Hemisphere of Eternia
I prefer to think we have a workforce problem. And a bad knees problem. Not a Shane Burnham problem, especially since he's one of the lead recruiters on Allen Lazard.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
This makes sense since I remember a couple years ago people constantly referring to this football team as a group that brings their lunch pales to practice like it is work. Easy transition :rolleyes:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Of all positions groups I could see OL, DL and RB (maybe LB as well) taking some of the biggest beatings so I could understand why someone would take a hard look at the opportunity/cost equation to see if it is worth it for them anymore.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Austin Alburtis as well.

There are some gridiron club members who certainly do not see this as odd. And they like to spout off about it all too often. "All those leaving are also Iowa kids born and raised". Trying to keep such a large roster all happy while losing so many games is not an easy proposition regardless. I don't think it's more than kids getting tired or being recruited over. But what would I know

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Jensen has worked hard for this program and as a fan I definitely appreciate that. He has been here 4 years, and if he has a degree in May I can't blame him for wanting to move on, not to be whatever, but he is likely not headed to the NFL and knows that and might just want to start working. What good does it do to come back and abuse your body for another 12 months with football? Jensen has quite a bit of experience, and could be a great leader for this team next year, but if his heart isn't in it anymore than I hope he has success with his next step in life!

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
Jensen has worked hard for this program and as a fan I definitely appreciate that. He has been here 4 years, and if he has a degree in May I can't blame him for wanting to move on, not to be whatever, but he is likely not headed to the NFL and knows that and might just want to start working. What good does it do to come back and abuse your body for another 12 months with football? Jensen has quite a bit of experience, and could be a great leader for this team next year, but if his heart isn't in it anymore than I hope he has success with his next step in life!

This. Whatever he decides, I am extremely appreciative of all of the work that B Jensen has put into this program. It would be a little disappointing but its nobodies decision but his and I hope nobody has any ill will for him.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
If my son, please god (!), had the chance to play Big 12 football for the Cyclones quit his senior year, walk on or not I would drag him back to Ames myself. I just don't get it and I think both guys will look back with some regret. I know I don't have a clue what it's like being a big time college athlete/football player. I'm sure it's grueling. But man, how do you not want to suit for the Cyclones, take some beat off classes and enjoy being a young football player? It's just crazy...have these guys follow some working stiffs around for a day...they'll run screaming back to college.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If my son, please god (!), had the chance to play Big 12 football for the Cyclones quit his senior year, walk on or not I would drag him back to Ames myself. I just don't get it and I think both guys will look back with some regret. I know I don't have a clue what it's like being a big time college athlete/football player. I'm sure it's grueling. But man, how do you not want to suit for the Cyclones, take some beat off classes and enjoy being a young football player? It's just crazy...have these guys follow some working stiffs around for a day...they'll run screaming back to college.

I appreciate your sentiment, but what sometimes gets lost is being a college athlete is a lot like being a full time working stiff while being in college. Maybe someone wants to be able to experience just being a college student.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Some of these DL have put on a ton of weight, which can really hammer your body. I dont blame anyone who does this being ready to move on with life.