PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Super raw, even for Jamie's standards. Must-listen. Enjoy.

Most likely the best interview you have done Chris. Great job and I couldn’t be any happier with the job Jamie Pollard is doing!

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
In
The C. Y. Stephens part is complicated...IMO the current situation regarding CY/Fisher is a failure by the State of Iowa. If a fine arts program is part of the ISU cirriculum, and CY/Fisher are needed for that cirriculum, then the state should be funding everything necessary to operate those venues. By the continuing state funding cuts, the problem has basically been dumped on ISU to deal with.

If I lived in Ames, I would support an ISU/Ames partnership to develop that complex, but I could understand why Ames residents would be miffed by the concept. The state has basically taken what should be a state-wide responsibility to support a state asset and dumped that responsibility on ISU and Ames.
The state doesn't pay for anything. Taxpayers do.

Reactions: DuckDynastyCy

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
This is up through yesterday. You wouldn't want to see today's numbers added on these charts. Over 800 new cases and 20 deaths would be big spikes up again on these charts.

As long as Iowa is a total s**t show like this.... JP will face oppostion to having more than probaby 10k fans.

View attachment 75323

View attachment 75324

Your facts are wrong. Where do you come up with your bulls***?
Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 5.35.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 5.36.14 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
One of JPs main points was the taxpayers need to pay for what they want. And if they don’t pay for it, then no one is gonna give that to them. If you want nice things, you have to pay for them.
I think we were saying the same thing. The only way things get paid for at a university is through tuition dollars, which is obviously from students, and state allocations which come from taxpayers. There are research dollars that come from Washington DC which comes from taxpayers or borrowed money by our federal government.

Reactions: JM4CY

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
They sure do. And multiple, shiny, AAU-type public universities don't come cheap. If the citizens of Iowa don't want that, there is always the Pomerantz plan from the 1990s...
Well maybe we are saying the same thing, state allocations come from taxpayers.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think we were saying the same thing. The only way things get paid for at a university is through tuition dollars, which is obviously from students, and state allocations which come from taxpayers. There are research dollars that come from Washington DC which comes from taxpayers or borrowed money by our federal government.
Agreed. I think you just hit the G spot.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Well maybe we are saying the same thing, state allocations come from taxpayers.
One more thing, when the fine arts crowd or the athletic crowd complain that something should be provided, they all need to look in the mirror. That's who's providing for it.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
week: seven days.
weak: not strong.

So ... "Week and privileged" isn't correct. However, "weak and privileged" is correct.

I suspect the next lesson will be about 'you are'.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
One more thing, when the fine arts crowd or the athletic crowd complain that something should be provided, they all need to look in the mirror. That's who's providing for it.
I agree to point, but there is a difference. Athletics is not the same as many of the other aspects of a major university. It turns out that people (even non tax-payers) really like to watch college sports, and will pay big money for it. That's great for athletics.

It also turns out that people not so much like to watch college theatre arts, or engineering majors solving design problems, or the college math bowl, or vet students operating on dogs and cows. Yet, those disciplines are important to society, and need infrastructure to do the job right that costs money beyond what can be raised by tuition. Taxpayers have to foot the bill, or the programs will fail.

Folks like to trash Iowa for taking a bunch of Illinois students, or ISU for the rapid enrollment growth, but IMO those were/are just strategies for dealing with the continual reduction in state allocation.

If the legislature is truly representing the will of the people of Iowa, then the people of Iowa seem to be saying they don't want ISU to have venue like C.Y. Stephens, because the state is not providing the $30 million for the deferred maintenance. However, the recent outcry seems to suggest differently. Something is amiss.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
I agree to point, but there is a difference. Athletics is not the same as many of the other aspects of a major university. It turns out that people (even non tax-payers) really like to watch college sports, and will pay big money for it. That's great for athletics.

It also turns out that people not so much like to watch college theatre arts, or engineering majors solving design problems, or the college math bowl, or vet students operating on dogs and cows. Yet, those disciplines are important to society, and need infrastructure to do the job right that costs money beyond what can be raised by tuition. Taxpayers have to foot the bill, or the programs will fail.

Folks like to trash Iowa for taking a bunch of Illinois students, or ISU for the rapid enrollment growth, but IMO those were/are just strategies for dealing with the continual reduction in state allocation.

If the legislature is truly representing the will of the people of Iowa, then the people of Iowa seem to be saying they don't want ISU to have venue like C.Y. Stephens, because the state is not providing the $30 million for the deferred maintenance. However, the recent outcry seems to suggest differently. Something is amiss.

At the risk of getting too political, I think your lumping of the "people of Iowa" into a single category is where the heart of the issue lies. There is a substantial group of Iowans that would more than willingly pay increased taxes to collectively better fund education/ISU/the arts, etc. However, politicians that have been successfully elected by a (generally) separate subset of Iowans are more interested in reducing taxes.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020

There's no question that Iowa State and Iowa have that strategy. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois have the luxury of growing state populations and capping enrollment. These two universities have capitalized on that.

The arts crowd, sorry for the short definition, needs to aggressively go after our state government for more allocations and be prepared to write a bigger check for taxes. Unfortunately, it goes with the territory, but people complain and keep their hands in their pockets. You can't have it both ways. That's what Jamie was saying.

If the professors, and the hardcore supporters of the arts feel strongly then they should get their checkbooks out, take a payroll cut, decrease their benefits or whatever is needed to help meet the budget. You can't complain and and not be prepared to say I will pay more because I truly believe in this. For the most part, athletic supporters write the checks.

I'm not quite sure who the non taxpayers are who write big checks. At a minimum, they are writing checks to Washington DC which we get significant research dollars from and that greatly assists Iowa State.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
At the risk of getting too political, I think your lumping of the "people of Iowa" into a single category is where the heart of the issue lies. There is a substantial group of Iowans that would more than willingly pay increased taxes to collectively better fund education/ISU/the arts, etc. However, politicians that have been successfully elected by a (generally) separate subset of Iowans are more interested in reducing taxes.
Are they though?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Neglecting testing while holding out hope for a vaccine is short-sighted. That's what we're doing now.

We don't even know if we'll ever get a vaccine, people realize that, right? But fans could still go to a football game if they all had a negative test the morning of the game.
Incorrect. It's highly likely that a vaccine of some variety will be introduces prior to year end. State health departments are already planning and prioritizing regions and populations that will be targeted for the initial doses that are produced.

Testing needs focus as well, but the focus need to be on rapid response testing. The testing that requires a day, or multiple days, for results is relatively ineffectual in practice.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Are they though?
Great question. However, until people show up in Des Moines and say raise my taxes and I want it allocated to the fine arts, the reduce my taxes crowd will win.

When the CY Stevens crowd complains about lack of funding without showing up with their checkbook, it will fall on deaf ears.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
Are they though?

As in, are they more interested in reducing taxes than raising taxes to increase funding for things like the state schools?

2013:

Only to subsequently be outdone in 2018:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Can colleges do the cutout sales thing? I'm trying to figure out why we aren't doing that yet. Plenty of room for them if >50% of the stadium is empty at any game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron