PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is up through yesterday. You wouldn't want to see today's numbers added on these charts. Over 800 new cases and 20 deaths would be big spikes up again on these charts.

As long as Iowa is a total s**t show like this.... JP will face oppostion to having more than probaby 10k fans.

1599789187411.png

1599789231634.png

• Winner
Reactions: volclone and Cyclad

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
...... if you choose to attend school, you may be locked down and classes may go online, but you can't go home.

Like Wisconsin did. Just locked down over 2,000 kids for two weeks.
But you can go home. The news tonight showed a freshman loading up her stuff saying "screw it, I'll just sit the year out."

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Like Wisconsin just did. Just locked down over 2,000 kids for two weeks.
But you can go home. The news tonight showed a freshman loading up her stuff saying "screw it, I'll just sit the year out."

Going home is the worst thing all these kids can do now. They shouldn't have ever come to campus to start with, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

As far as JP goes.... I definitely feel for him, no doubt. But he has to realize that until the numbers come way down on this thing, he's going to face a ton of opposition. And the numbers will not come down by having 25k fans not social distanced from one another inside Jack Trice..... that will only hurt his chances of ever having any fans, not only this season, but maybe next season too if this country doesn't figure this out and quit acting like it's nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: volclone and Cyclad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Like Wisconsin did. Just locked down over 2,000 kids for two weeks.

Yep and that's stupid. What did they think was going to happen?

I got weird looks at a Zoom today from coworkers that were feeling so sorry for the students and I simply said 'they chose to go or the families chose to send them, they can stay in their dorm'.

There's people asking for tuition back. They've out-Karened themselves.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Going home is the worst thing all these kids can do now. They shouldn't have ever come to campus to start with, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

As far as JP goes.... I definitely feel for him, no doubt. But he has to realize that until the numbers come way down on this thing, he's going to face a ton of opposition. And the numbers will not come down by having 25k fans not social distanced from one another inside Jack Trice..... that will only hurt his chances of ever having any fans, not only this season, but maybe next season too if this country doesn't figure this out and quit acting like it's nothing.

If the numbers go down, they'll just go back up as soon as movement and gatherings start back up.

Reactions: ironsam

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The C. Y. Stephens part is complicated...IMO the current situation regarding CY/Fisher is a failure by the State of Iowa. If a fine arts program is part of the ISU cirriculum, and CY/Fisher are needed for that cirriculum, then the state should be funding everything necessary to operate those venues. By the continuing state funding cuts, the problem has basically been dumped on ISU to deal with.

If I lived in Ames, I would support an ISU/Ames partnership to develop that complex, but I could understand why Ames residents would be miffed by the concept. The state has basically taken what should be a state-wide responsibility to support a state asset and dumped that responsibility on ISU and Ames.

RLRLSit

Nov 18, 2013
We are in a worldwide pandemic and the numbers, especially in the U.S. and Iowa specifically, have not been improving at all.

So the fact of the matter is that there shouldn't have been any kids on campus at all, but if that wasn't going to happen, the classes should have still all been online.

And there definitely shouldn't have been football at all, but if there was going to be football, there at least should not have been any fans at all.

I'm a huge sports fan, and this all sucks big time for all of us, but I also have a brain and realize that we are not going to get control of this virus unless we take the drastic steps needed as a country.... and we aren't even close to doing that.

We didn't do what we needed to all summer long, and now here we are. And the problem with allowing 35k students back to campus and pushing for 25k fans at football games is that this problem will only get worse and prolong JP's economic woes even further down the road.

But everyone always has short term vision. We need students on campus now! We need 25k fans in the stands now? But if we don't ever do the hard things, this virus will cause the basketball season to be canceled. Will that help JP's economic issues? And by not doing the things necessary, it could very well also linger into, and affect next year's football season too.... will that help JP's financial situation?

At this point, JP should just be thankful that as of this moment, it sounds like there will still be football for ISU. But that can change any day. Teams are going down like crazy. And this problem will only linger and get worse the longer we push it down the road and refuse to do what it takes. If JP thinks having 25k fans (not socially distanced whatsoever) sitting in Jack Trice will help him get through this virus financially..... he's not seeing the whole picture I'm afraid... and is shortsighted.

Tracking positivity rate is dumb. Mary Greeley has had the same number of inpatients on a daily basis for the past several months and that includes this “horrible spike”. It’s something like 8-12/day. Isn’t that what’s important? If an 18 yo kid gets a mild cold do we care? Shouldn’t we be focusing on at risk people? Very old, lots of comorbidities, etc? The Initial goal was to not overwhelm the healthcare system. That’s clearly not happening. Why must we keep moving the goalposts?

There is a cost/benefit to everything in life. If you want take the risk and attend in person classes go ahead, same goes for a football game. If you think the reverse is true feel free to stay home. That’s JP’s main point. It’s easy to preach about what others should do if it doesn’t affect you. I found the podcast therapeutic. As an Ames resident I sincerely appreciate the common sense

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Tracking positivity rate is dumb. Mary Greeley has had the same number of inpatients on a daily basis for the past several months and that includes this “horrible spike”. It’s something like 8-12/day. Isn’t that what’s important? If an 18 yo kid gets a mild cold do we care? Shouldn’t we be focusing on at risk people? Very old, lots of comorbidities, etc? The Initial goal was to not overwhelm the healthcare system. That’s clearly not happening. Why must we keep moving the goalposts?

There is a cost/benefit to everything in life. If you want take the risk and attend in person classes go ahead, same goes for a football game. If you think the reverse is true feel free to stay home. That’s JP’s main point. It’s easy to preach about what others should do if it doesn’t affect you. I found the podcast therapeutic. As an Ames resident I sincerely appreciate the common sense

And hence... the reason we are where we are folks! Have to get rid of this mindset or we'll be stuck in this situation for a very long time.

We need testing worse than we need a vaccine right now. 30-40% of the population won't even take a vaccine.... and we have no idea when we'll even have a vaccine, if we even get one at all.

We have to get tests you can take at night before you go to bed, and have results when you wake up in the morning. And they have to be cheap too. That will be the key to all of this.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
"The faculty, they want people to work at Fareway and HyVee so that they can get their food, they want people to be doctors and nurses so they can be served, but they don't want to be in a classroom."

Hot damn.

I did some push ups after hearing that. Pollard unleashed.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Clone83

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
Jaime has led this program through some tough times, when all hope was lost, this program prevailed.

Today he reminded the fan base again, the type of leader it takes to achieve that.

Slapped the snort out of some fools who have no understanding how the economics of a University works or a towns work.

They think money goes on trees....

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
And hence... the reason we are where we are folks! Have to get rid of this mindset or we'll be stuck in this situation for a very long time.

We need testing worse than we need a vaccine right now. 30-40% of the population won't even take a vaccine.... and we have no idea when we'll even have a vaccine, if we even get one at all........
Short-sighted take. We need to be promoting the benefits of a vaccine supplemented with testing.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I love Jamie. And I understand about the city of Ames and the faculty screwing him over.

But the part that irritates me is that there were people that thought the attendance policy was not in the best interest of public health. And while those people don't have room to complain when things are cut and dropped, they are certainly entitled to their opinion.

And he continues to not have a good reason why 25% attendance was the original solution. He has said twice now that those people would be pissed if they weren't in attendance for certain games. Probably true, but at the same time he says that people in leadership have to deal with that ****. So he could have dealt with it.

I can pretty much guarantee that part of the backlash had to do with Iowa State getting pounded on a national level for the attendance policy because Iowa State was doing what NO OTHER SCHOOL WAS DOING--allowing 40% of fans in the stadium (and I think more than 40% of capacity if you take the hills into account). It was a bad look. Jamie should have known that and if the facility is as awful as he say it is, he should have realized they would grab onto that.

No matter what, the people that want to have their cake and eat it too are in the wrong. I understand his frustration with the whole thing, especially if it is true that they pushed him to have fans.

In the end, Jamie should have gone with his original plans for no fans for the first game considering the high numbers of cases in Ames over the first few weeks of school.
Wouldve been 20,500 out of 61,000 per JP 34%

Reactions: kcbob79clone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Short-sighted take. We need to be promoting the benefits of a vaccine supplemented with testing.

Neglecting testing while holding out hope for a vaccine is short-sighted. That's what we're doing now.

We don't even know if we'll ever get a vaccine, people realize that, right? But fans could still go to a football game if they all had a negative test the morning of the game.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The problem is that is the only growth we've seen in 30 years. Countless opportunities have been lost with a no growth mindset of Ames. I lived there from 1988-2008.

I guess it depends on your perspective and preference. Since 2000 Ames population has increased more than 30% and has just recently had the lowest unemployment in the country. People look at Ankeny’s crazy growth and Ames missing out on it as a huge problem. Maybe some of those people and businesses would’ve been nice to have, but to each his own. I have lived in larger cities and smaller towns. The Ankenys and Waukees of the world have no appeal to me.

Anyway, I’m glad Jamie shared the details related to CYS, and the people throwing a fit need to put forth a solution or shut up. JP doesn’t get the luxury of complaining about every option.