PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Incorrect. It's highly likely that a vaccine of some variety will be introduces prior to year end. State health departments are already planning and prioritizing regions and populations that will be targeted for the initial doses that are produced.

Testing needs focus as well, but the focus need to be on rapid response testing. The testing that requires a day, or multiple days, for results is relatively ineffectual in practice.

Yeah as far as being functional for being able to head out, see people etc. if you're able to quarantine while waiting for the results.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
As in, are they more interested in reducing taxes than raising taxes to increase funding for things like the state schools?

2013:

Only to subsequently be outdone in 2018:

How has the revenue been impacted?

Dolla Dolla bills, yo!
Or
Kansas

Reactions: Halincandenza

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I still don't get why no fans was the better choice over 12,000 fans?

I've been very supportive of JP, but I do think this has a very "take my ball and go home" feel to it. Rather than look at other solutions he pulled the plug.

I do think, however, that there has to be a point where the revenue generated is not enough to justify the risk and logistical nightmare, and I'd imagine 12,000 is getting pretty close to that.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
As in, are they more interested in reducing taxes than raising taxes to increase funding for things like the state schools?

2013:

Only to subsequently be outdone in 2018:

No, as in do they really want to cut taxes or do they just want them to go to the shiny things they like.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I've been very supportive of JP, but I do think this has a very "take my ball and go home" feel to it. Rather than look at other solutions he pulled the plug.

I do think, however, that there has to be a point where the revenue generated is not enough to justify the risk and logistical nightmare, and I'd imagine 12,000 is getting pretty close to that.
I was wondering if the breakpoint of fans attending (sales) versus costs of operating fan facilities at the stadium may not be met at 12k.

Reactions: Clonefan32

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was wondering if the breakpoint of fans attending (sales) versus costs of operating fan facilities at the stadium may not be met at 12k.
I was also wondering where that number is at. You would think that they could obviously cut down on personnel working the game if there’s only 12K in JTS. I wonder if they even know exactly what that number would be but I’m sure they could ballpark it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Can colleges do the cutout sales thing? I'm trying to figure out why we aren't doing that yet. Plenty of room for them if >50% of the stadium is empty at any game.

UT is according to the Surly if I remember a thread over there correctly from a couple a wks ago.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

He was laying everything else out there so I’d think if that were a concern he would have said so. He just said it’d be hard telling some people they didn’t get to go.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
As many others have said. It is really too bad Ames has never gotten on board with the University. If you look at Austin, Columbus, Madison etc....twenty years ago Ames was not in a totally different potion. Those places all used their respective universities to grow and grew with the university. All the growth in Des Moines and Ankeny could have just as easily been around Ames. Instead, no growth, no development, nothing....city just leeches off the university.

The 3 towns you named are all state capitols, that's not a true fair comparison.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The 3 towns you named are all state capitols, that's not a true fair comparison.

I was gonna mention this. Ames has its issues re: growth, but comparing it to large capital cities like Austin and Columbus isn’t a fair comparison. Compare it to Iowa City, Manhattan, etc

Reactions: STLISU

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Can colleges do the cutout sales thing? I'm trying to figure out why we aren't doing that yet. Plenty of room for them if >50% of the stadium is empty at any game.
Since we were going to have fans in it until approximately 10 days ago, there was no way to get the cardboard fans in there on that short of notice.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaCyclone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Since we were going to have fans in it until approximately 10 days ago, there was no way to get the cardboard fans in there on the short of notice.
We knew months ago that we wouldn't be above 50% capacity, maximum. Jamie directly said that.

Reactions: Cy$

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He was laying everything else out there so I’d think if that were a concern he would have said so. He just said it’d be hard telling some people they didn’t get to go.

Yah...who knows. I can't imagine at 12,000 fans there would have been a ton of money to be made, relative to the risk and public scorn.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I'm sure that is the case. Or at least my thought has been you might start making money at say 10k fans or so, but it's such a small margin it's not worth the risk and headache. In addition to the plan being developed for 25k fans that they thought was operationally achievable, it very well could be that at about 25k people you start making some real money where it's worth it.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Since we were going to have fans in it until approximately 10 days ago, there was no way to get the cardboard fans in there on that short of notice.
BS. We have a College of Design that MAYBE could get this to happen. Charge people $60 and cover costs with this. It costs us will over $100 for each game plus tickets. Get creative and raise money. Even Bernie could raise money a little bit at a time.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
We knew months ago that we wouldn't be above 50% capacity, maximum. Jamie directly said that.
They didn't do the seating until approximately 12 to 14 days ago. You were assigned to specific seats until that decision was reversed. The decisions on your specific seats were in the process of being sent out. That all changed with the reversal of the decision. Hence, you don't know where to put the cardboard figures until 2 weeks ago.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
They didn't do the seating until approximately 12 to 14 days ago. You were assigned to specific seats until that decision was reversed. The decisions on your specific seats were in the process of being sent out. That all changed with the reversal of the decision. Hence, you don't know where to put the cardboard figures until 2 weeks ago.
They still could've made them months ago. I think they could've managed putting them into available seats in a 2-week window. Again, we knew a long time ago that the absolute best-case scenario was 50% capacity.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And how would we ever be able to move cardboard from one place to another in only 2 weeks!? Think about the logistics, people.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Help Support Us

Become a patron