PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
Those are all good points, and I don't necessarily disagree with any of them. My point is that wanting to keep the school attendance policy and the athletic attendence policy aligned is nice, but we're not really talking about the same thing when we're comparing them. They're different, and really ought to be treated differently.

Reasonable can disagree on the right attendance policy. It's a difficult decision. At least we now know Pollard's reasoning.

Reactions: Mr Janny

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Classrooms are INDOORS, Jack Trice is OUTDOORS. The entire stadium was re-seated to ensure distancing and Pollard said there would be a zero tolerance policy for folks who don't follow the mitigation rules. So I think you could make a case that you're safer sitting outdoors in Jack Trice several feet away from others than sitting in a classroom.

And dang the Highness is online posting.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Why wasn't the idea of having 25,0000 season tickets that were sold be divided so only half of the tickets could be used at each game. You screw up and tickets would be lost for the rest of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Forces in Ames see the city as a place for professors, researchers, administrators, doctors, nurses, and engineers and the businesses and support people needed for them. No dirty businesses allowed. Even Barilla is a clean industry. Therefore, there is no friction and no discussion between or among competing/different forces. A sense of superiority/entitlement sets in. If someone seems to upset the applecart, outrage ensues. Otherwise, I liked the place for the 25 years I was there.

To all: If you're not a snooty professor and live in Ames, please run for city council.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Those are all good points, and I don't necessarily disagree with any of them. My point is that wanting to keep the school attendance policy and the athletic attendence policy aligned is nice, but we're not really talking about the same thing when we're comparing them. They're different, and really ought to be treated differently.

As to allignment, the point is that what athletics proposed didn't keep the attendance policies together. Classes were to be 50%; athletics had already reduced that to 40% for the stadium. Thus, Pollard must have sensed that 50% would be way too many. But rather than get in line with the majority of the conference at 25% or less, he tried to squeeze in a few more. Athletics put itself at the cliff's edge for what was in fact a relatively small additional return. The cliff crumbled, and they now have no return at all. IMO, this outcome was all too predictable. Its a poor gambler that blames the house when they play long odds and lose. That's Pollard here.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
Will there be an outcry if they announce 20,000 fans for OU?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
As to allignment, the point is that what athletics proposed didn't keep the attendance policies together. Classes were to be 50%; athletics had already reduced that to 40% for the stadium. Thus, Pollard must have sensed that 50% would be way too many. But rather than get in line with the majority of the conference at 25% or less, he tried to squeeze in a few more. Athletics put itself at the cliff's edge for what was in fact a relatively small additional return. The cliff crumbled, and they now have no return at all. IMO, this outcome was all too predictable. Its a poor gambler that blames the house when they play long odds and lose. That's Pollard here.
Listen to the podcast before spouting this stupidity. It was decreased to 25,000 because that’s how many had opted out. It was 50% max and only 40% sold.

Reactions: Acylum

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Listen to the podcast before spouting this stupidity. It was decreased to 25,000 because that’s how many had opted out. It was 50% max and only 40% sold.

They also were pretty sure it would be more like 33% by the time more opted. Jamie said if the game were today it would be 20,400. And then there as some like myself who couldn't make this game due to a conflict which would have limited numbers more.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

That was pretty clear to me from the day they announced the number. Jamie simply counted tickets. Which, is probably the most fair way to decide and probably what I would have chosen. But lord almighty, the NYT noticed that is not 25% of capacity.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
That was pretty clear to me from the day they announced the number. Jamie simply counted tickets. Which, is probably the most fair way to decide and probably what I would have chosen. But lord almighty, the NYT noticed that is not 25% of capacity.

Who knew someone there could do math. Maybe they have interns.

• Dumb
Reactions: simply1 and Acylum