COLUMN: Led by freshmen, optimism incredibly high surrounding the Cyclones

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Win out at home and make it to the Semis in the XII tourney and I think we lock up a play in game spot. 9 XII wins gets you into the tourney including several top 25 wins to boot. Snag a road win as well and you are a 9-11 seed.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I would think we are more likely to finish 4-2 with a win in the tourney to get an at large (expect weak bubble as always with play-ins and committee throwing us a bone with all our injuries) than we are to win 4 for the auto.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

clones2005

Jan 14, 2017
Lots saying that we need to win 4 to win the big 12 tourney, we're only 2 games out of tied for 5th due to the close records of all of the teams. Maybe not likely, but, certainly not impossible at this point to get to the 6 seed and then only need 3 wins in 3 days.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I would think we are more likely to finish 4-2 with a win in the tourney to get an at large (expect weak bubble as always with play-ins and committee throwing us a bone with all our injuries) than we are to win 4 for the auto.

No way we win 4 in KC. That's too much for sure.

Out of OU, WV, and K-State, which road game are we getting?
One of those can happen. Just curious which one you see as most likely.

Reactions: isutrevman

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa

Probably KSU (if they play like they did against Tech last night), OU, then W.V. All are winnable if we play defense like we do at home.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
ISU isn't far from getting into bubble contention, but as others said, winning out at home is essential for it to happen, and really need a road win on top of it (that's a resume weak-spot detail in itself).

We have compiled some good top-50/top-25 wins already. Non-conference did little to help, even if you ignore the losses and focus on the wins: A top-50 neutral win vs. Boise.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

All three are doable, but it's a tough call as we've been a totally different team on the road. WV seems the least likely, and OU the most likely due to their lack of defense.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I hate to be the Debbie downer bring up the elephant in the room guy but honestly the real question is who leaves and can we find another Deandre Kane. That’s going to determine our ceiling.

Those days are over. The transfer game is way more competitive. I wouldn't mind a grad transfer scorer, but if it's just another Beverly or Brase, I'd rather snag Harris.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Those days are over. The transfer game is way more competitive. I wouldn't mind a grad transfer scorer, but if it's just another Beverly or Brase, I'd rather snag Harris.
The days we beat out a limited number of programs for a mid-major player deemed as bad goods may be over, but it’s not because it’s harder. Ending up with bottom shelf grad transfers isn’t indicative of the market as much as it is our shopping. We’re not targeting guys like Zach Lofton, a guy from Minneapolis via Ill St/Texas Southern that’s averaging 20 and 5 at NMSt (22-3) but had some red flags.

There are more transfers than ever and our brand is better. It’s competitive, but programs of ISU’s standing, or worse, are still getting them. That said, home run grad transfers like Kane are/were never probable for anyone.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I am drinking the Kool-Aid.

Wigginton is on the path to be a star and I think he takes on more of a leadership role next year.

THT is going to be ready day one. Wigginton, Shayok, NWB, and THT will give a rotation of guards that will be as good as any in the league.

Lard and Solo are developing into two low post threats we have not had in a long time if ever. Jacobson will give us third capable post. With that rotation, everyone can stay rested and likely out of foul trouble.

Talley offers flexibility. He can play as a 4 or a 3 and is solid.

Long will offer another solid option off the bench.

The other guys can develop and play when they are ready, not because we are out of options.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I am drinking the Kool-Aid.

Wigginton is on the path to be a star and I think he takes on more of a leadership role next year.

THT is going to be ready day one. Wigginton, Shayok, NWB, and THT will give a rotation of guards that will be as good as any in the league.

Lard and Solo are developing into two low post threats we have not had in a long time if ever. Jacobson will give us third capable post. With that rotation, everyone can stay rested and likely out of foul trouble.

Talley offers flexibility. He can play as a 4 or a 3 and is solid.

Long will offer another solid option off the bench.

The other guys can develop and play when they are ready, not because we are out of options.
I won’t spike your kool-aid.

Zion has the ability to make a contribution like Talley is this year, if needed. Physically he’s ready, and on defense could be a flexible asset. On offense he’ll have his moments of not having a position, but other times he’ll look like a mismatch. We should have a definite 8 guys, but if we want to really run, encounter foul trouble, or a perimeter forward, Zion can play.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Ok Going to need to find 3 point shooting from at least one person besides wiggy next year. If we get that they could be outstanding.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
I won’t spike your kool-aid.

Zion has the ability to make a contribution like Talley is this year, if needed. Physically he’s ready, and on defense could be a flexible asset. On offense he’ll have his moments of not having a position, but other times he’ll look like a mismatch. We should have a definite 8 guys, but if we want to really run, encounter foul trouble, or a perimeter forward, Zion can play.

Well that's weird because we get Talley next year, too.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
ISU isn't far from getting into bubble contention, but as others said, winning out at home is essential for it to happen, and really need a road win on top of it (that's a resume weak-spot detail in itself).

We have compiled some good top-50/top-25 wins already. Non-conference did little to help, even if you ignore the losses and focus on the wins: A top-50 neutral win vs. Boise.

Saw a stat that we have the same number of Top 50 wins this year (by Feb 10th) as we did last year (by Feb 10th).

Crazy stuff can happen, but I'm still not expecting anything out of this team.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyclones360