COLUMN: Led by freshmen, optimism incredibly high surrounding the Cyclones

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Good stuff.

My only quibble is you trying to diminish the Oklahoma win. Sure, it isn't a program changer. But it is a win against a good to very good team that will be the NCAA tournament. The team that KXNO was gushing about on Wednesday has yet to beat an NCAA tournament team (I think). We have 3 wins against such teams.

OU is a great offensive team, and while we gave up 80, earlier in the year we may have given up 100+ to these guys, so I think our defense was pretty good. Particularly when we were without arguably our best defender in Babb.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
OU won't be ranked next week? Settle down Chris.

I think there was a similar reference in the ESPN recap I read earlier.

Sooners will fall several places after road losses to unranked teams, that’s a given. Possibly below teams in top 25 that “held serve” in the past week. Unless AP voters have only short-term memory or aren't paying any attention, OU isn't falling 9 places (especially if we look at number of voting-points in last week's poll).

24. Kentucky. Lost to A&M (which had zero votes in last week’s poll)
25. Miami. Won at WF. Lost to BC (no votes)
27. Washington. Lost at Oregon State
28. Florida State. L vs. UVa and at ND. No shame in that — but ranking won’t rise.
30. Seton Hall. Lost at home to Marquette and at Georgetown.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think there was a similar reference in the ESPN recap I read earlier.

Sooners will fall several places after road losses to unranked teams, that’s a given. Possibly below teams in top 25 that “held serve” in the past week. Unless AP voters have only short-term memory or aren't paying any attention, OU isn't falling 9 places (especially if we look at number of voting-points in last week's poll).

24. Kentucky. Lost to A&M (which had zero votes in last week’s poll)
25. Miami. Won at WF. Lost to BC (no votes)
27. Washington. Lost at Oregon State
28. Florida State. L vs. UVa and at ND. No shame in that — but ranking won’t rise.
30. Seton Hall. Lost at home to Marquette and at Georgetown.

The silly part is that teams at the top of the Big Ten are advancing due to playing crap teams two out of every three games, while Big Twelve teams are declining because every game is going to be a war. Hopefully the selection committee rewards based on the reality of that (and they usually do). The pollsters are too prone to just advance the wins and drop the losses.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
My personal goals for this team were:

1st: Give us real hope and excitement for the future. Check.

2nd: Do enough to show that ISU basketball is still relevant, and that this is simply a transitional year. Check.

3rd: Compete for the postseason. TBD, but still within reach.

4th: Beat Iowa. Check.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Wigginton at the start of the year really reminded me a lot of Naz Long during his freshman season. The light lights looked too bright for Naz that year. However after a handful of games Wiggington started to look like a sophomore Naz Long. Boom!

Too bad Jackson isn't a junior to give ISU that deadly 3 poijnt shot next year, but ISU will be really solid next year. The 2019/2020 should be back to a high seed in the tourney and making a run at the Big 12 title.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Is anyone else concerned about someone getting in either Wiggington or Lard's ear about leaving after this year? I know they haven't been hyped, but the NBA drafts so much on potential these days I wasn't sure how long they'll be here.

Probably just me being a fan long enough to know that the kick to the nuts is coming sooner or later. Just lying to figure out where it's coming from.

Think we're safe for at least a year. Wiggy needs to improve his ball handling skills and while Lard in a college beast, he's 6-9 and will need to develop forward skills to succeed at the next level.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Call me crazy, but with a little (a lot of) luck this team could be B12 tournament champs and we can still go dancing!
That luck being NWB and Brase back, hot shooting, and another team helping us with an upset.

We obviously can beat any Big 12 team, but our inconsistency and depth says 4 wins in 4 days is highly unlikely.

• Agree
Reactions: r06b

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I'm intrigued by our NIT chances, if we could find a way to win 3-4 games yet we could be a dangerous team for that bracket. Not to mention the gains of playing in the games would bring for our FR.

Reactions: r06b

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's going to be interesting. I think it's fair to expect that we win out at home and probably lose out on the road. That gives another quality win over a ranked opponent in Kansas.

Then the resume doesn't look like a Seth Greenberg team like I thought yesterday, but like Fred's year with Royce, where we beat good teams in conference play at home (specifically Kansas), had a bad non-con loss at Drake (the infamous lost billions of credits), so we'd be worthy of some bubble discussion.

Win out at home and win a couple in KC and things get very interesting. No guarantees in any of that, but these guys have put themselves firmly into a place where it isn't impossible and doesn't require outlandish scenarios to get the NCAA or NIT appearance done.

Help Support Us

Become a patron