COLUMN: Led by freshmen, optimism incredibly high surrounding the Cyclones

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'll drink the kool-aid. Thanks again for talking me into taking my son up there to see Trae Young and walked out way more impressed with our Freshman. I haven't missed a home football game in 21 seasons, while living in KC for 8 of those years, but I'm not big at getting to BB games. It was so worth the short drive to watch that game today.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
It's really been fun so far to see the growth of both Lard and Wigginton in less than a full season. If they continue, they will really be special.

Now, we just need to continue to win at home and steal one on the road.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and othercy

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
You can see the pieces falling into place for next year.

Babb, the Swiss army knife, can do a little of everything.

Wiggs, Lard, and Shayock are the Big 3 in regards to scoring.

Young, does the dirty work down low.

Talley, the versatile defender off the bench.

Jacobsen, solid post player with P5 experience

The question is how THT and Zion can contribute off bench? Can Long/Lewis develop into the 3 and D players they we need?

• Agree
Reactions: othercy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You can see the pieces falling into place for next year.

Babb, the Swiss army knife, can do a little of everything.

Wiggs, Lard, and Shayock are the Big 3 in regards to scoring.

Young, does the dirty work down low.

Talley, the versatile defender off the bench.

Jacobsen, solid post player with P5 experience

The question is how THT and Zion can contribute off bench? Can Long/Lewis develop into the 3 and D players they we need?

I hate to be the Debbie downer bring up the elephant in the room guy but honestly the real question is who leaves and can we find another Deandre Kane. That’s going to determine our ceiling.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Can't remember being more excited for the future. Wigginton and Lard will both be first team Big 12 players before they are done here and THT very likely arrives in Ames a 5 star recruit. Dude is the real deal.

Land another elite recruit in the 2019 class or a stud transfer this offseason and expectations will go through the roof.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Is anyone else concerned about someone getting in either Wiggington or Lard's ear about leaving after this year? I know they haven't been hyped, but the NBA drafts so much on potential these days I wasn't sure how long they'll be here.

Probably just me being a fan long enough to know that the kick to the nuts is coming sooner or later. Just lying to figure out where it's coming from.

• Agree
Reactions: snowcraig2.0

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Is anyone else concerned about someone getting in either Wiggington or Lard's ear about leaving after this year? I know they haven't been hyped, but the NBA drafts so much on potential these days I wasn't sure how long they'll be here.

Probably just me being a fan long enough to know that the kick to the nuts is coming sooner or later. Just lying to figure out where it's coming from.

Dear gawd I hate our fans.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

They’re both one more year away minimum. Probably more

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I’d say both kids need at least one more year, and probably a dominant one, to get drafted. No doubt that both are pros. Just not yet.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I think Wigginton and Lard both understand that winning a national championship would do the most for their draft stock.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good stuff.

My only quibble is you trying to diminish the Oklahoma win. Sure, it isn't a program changer. But it is a win against a good to very good team that will be the NCAA tournament. The team that KXNO was gushing about on Wednesday has yet to beat an NCAA tournament team (I think). We have 3 wins against such teams.