COLUMN: Led by freshmen, optimism incredibly high surrounding the Cyclones

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The Iowa game is just as important as a Big 12 game, unless you are in contention for the Big 12 title (We are not). It's a win against a major conference opponent and a win against our biggest rival. You can down play it all you want because it's sounds "cool" to claim the game doesn't matter, but Its a big win for 95% of fans.

Well, count me in that 5% then. Good for bragging rights but it has no bearing on if ISU makes the NCAAs.

Case in point, last season.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, count me in that 5% then. Good for bragging rights but it has no bearing on if ISU makes the NCAAs.

Case in point, last season.
We aren't making the NCAA's so our Big 12 games have no bearing on that either. Besides, the selection committee doesn't put more value into conference wins as they do non-conference anyway. The only way you can not care about that game is if you never have to be around hawk fans.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
We aren't making the NCAA's so our Big 12 games have no bearing on that either. Besides, the selection committee doesn't put more value into conference wins as they do non-conference anyway. The only way you can not care about that game is if you never have to be around hawk fans.

Beating any big 12 team this season is a better win than Iowa and it's not even close.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The Iowa game is just like when we play Drake or UNI. Losing definitely is embarrassing and makes the program look bad, but winning isn’t memorable let alone a criteria for a good year.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
The Iowa game is just like when we play Drake or UNI. Losing definitely is embarrassing and makes the program look bad, but winning isn’t memorable let alone a criteria for a good year.

Beating Iowa in any sport, any year, equals a good year. It means I will not have to listen to as much vomit being spewed from mouth breathing tavern hawks.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: r06b and cyfan21

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Beating any big 12 team this season is a better win than Iowa and it's not even close.
Yes, but losing to Iowa would have been worse than losing to any Big 12 team. All I'm saying is, in a year where we wont be playing in the NCAAs, I think a win over Iowa is big for most fans, regardless of how bad they are.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Yes, but losing to Iowa would have been worse than losing to any Big 12 team. All I'm saying is, in a year where we wont be playing in the NCAAs, I think a win over Iowa is big for most fans, regardless of how bad they are.

For some fans it might be, I was way more excited after each of the wins over ranked Big 12 teams.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
They only overlapped one season but consider the total aggregate stats of these 3 (That was Johnny's first time in the post-season at ISU):

Stevens / Hornacek / Grayer

The Clones beat D. Manning / L. Brown's KU on a Hornacek runner in the lane at the buzzer that year. To me, that felt like the start of Hilton Magic. Not that I am, ahem, old enough to have been in the student section or anything ... :)

That was my first game in attendance. My buddy and I were yelling at each other from a foot away and couldn't hear a thing we were saying.

• Winner
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Beating Iowa in any sport, any year, equals a good year. It means I will not have to listen to as much vomit being spewed from mouth breathing tavern hawks.
Vomit from fans of a program like Iowa should not bother you so much. It’s entertaining to listen to the jealousy and fear of Hawk, Bulldog, or Panther fans. Now, Jayhawk fans can go to hell.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Which I typically don't so it's a non-issue.

So you're saying if ISU had a winning record vs. the Big 12 this season, that wouldn't be more impressive to the committee than beating Iowa, and ISU's surge at the end of last season wasn't what got them into the tournament, even if they hadn't won the Big 12 tourney?

Interesting.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

If you talking about generalities about the fan base, I can see your point for some ISU fans. I guess most posters on CF MBB board, follow the league more closely and would rather have B12 wins.

Personally, I enjoyed the wins vs West Virginia and Oklahoma (hopefully KU tomorrow) over EIU this year. In fact considering the poor season the Hawks are having this year, that win is even less impressive in retrospect.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Watching our KU game from two years ago on Cyclones TV. Only recognizable faces for ISU: Coach Prohm & staff

The Matt Thomas steal and break away dunk at the end of that game when we are pouring it on was awesome. Vividly remember them showing Bill Self right after that and him biting his nails coupled with the look on his face was priceless :D

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The Matt Thomas steal and break away dunk at the end of that game when we are pouring it on was awesome. Vividly remember them showing Bill Self right after that and him biting his nails coupled with the look on his face was priceless :D

That was a punctuation mark that just sealed it for me then and sealed it for me on the replay.

Reactions: MartinCy

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The Iowa game is just as important as a Big 12 game, unless you are in contention for the Big 12 title (We are not). It's a win against a major conference opponent and a win against our biggest rival. You can down play it all you want because it's sounds "cool" to claim the game doesn't matter, but Its a big win for 95% of fans.

We will be next year. So, conference games will mean more to us for sure. And, I'd rather pick up a few wins in Maui. Imagine the hype train if ISU actually wins the Maui Invite.

• Agree

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
They only overlapped one season but consider the total aggregate stats of these 3 (That was Johnny's first time in the post-season at ISU):

Stevens / Hornacek / Grayer

The Clones beat D. Manning / L. Brown's KU on a Hornacek runner in the lane at the buzzer that year. To me, that felt like the start of Hilton Magic. Not that I am, ahem, old enough to have been in the student section or anything ... :)
I was in the student section for this game and it was during the years leading up to this game where Hilton Magic was born. I would also include the Lafester Rhodes game against Iowa. The stadium was shaking during that game.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Which I typically don't so it's a non-issue.

So you're saying if ISU had a winning record vs. the Big 12 this season, that wouldn't be more impressive to the committee than beating Iowa, and ISU's surge at the end of last season wasn't what got them into the tournament, even if they hadn't won the Big 12 tourney?

Interesting.
I don't think the committee looks at conference wins differently than they do non-conference wins. In that sense, a game against Iowa is just as important as a game against Baylor. Now, if Iowa is terrible, then obviously a win against a good Big 12 team is more valuable. A win over a good Iowa team would be more valuable than a win over a terrible Big 12 team though. At least in terms of making the NCAA tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think the committee looks at conference wins differently than they do non-conference wins. In that sense, a game against Iowa is just as important as a game against Baylor. Now, if Iowa is terrible, then obviously a win against a good Big 12 team is more valuable. A win over a good Iowa team would be more valuable than a win over a terrible Big 12 team though. At least in terms of making the NCAA tournament.

So can you point to a year when ISU made the NCAA tourney, and the invite was determined by one game in December?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I prefer to think that it's our inconsistency that makes us dangerous in the tournaments. Random variation says there's a chance we string three or four great games together in row.:)

In all seriousness, I'm very excited for the state of the program. What a time to be a Cyclone.
The best thing Prohm could do for tournament success is put that team that beat OU and Tech on a bus and send them to Kansas City. Then take that team that got their asses handed to them by K State and at TCU and put them on another bus and send them to Quebec City.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron