COLUMN: Led by freshmen, optimism incredibly high surrounding the Cyclones

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
We get Wigginton next year, yet THT could be a very good scorer next year and be an impact player like Wigginton is this year.

Except Wigginton and THT don't play the same position, and are much closer in experience level than Talley vs. Zion.

I'm just saying it sounded like someone thought Talley was only here for this year.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyclones360

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't think so. Baylor made it to the championship game against Ejim and Kane, and had that big lead, but Iowa St came back to win.

Omg I punked out the Baylor fans sitting in front of us at that game so hard. I was just that right amount of drunk where everything was coming out clear but it was just full of sting and you could only tell I was drunk by the level of vitriol coming out of my mouth.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Except Wigginton and THT don't play the same position, and are much closer in experience level than Talley vs. Zion.

I'm just saying it sounded like someone thought Talley was only here for this year.
Saying “Zion has the ability to make a contribution like Talley is this year, if needed” or “THT could be a very good scorer next year and be an impact player like Wigginton is this year” is not synonymous with saying they play the same position or have the same experience. Nor is it dependent on those things.

I can’t decide if you read way too much into that post, or didn’t read it at all. Who do you think was in that definite 8-man rotation mentioned in the same post if I wasn’t including Talley, and Zion was alluded to as the 9th man? Do you think saying Jacobson has the ability to make as much of an impact next year as Young this year means it’s assumed Young is gone next year?

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Saying “Zion has the ability to make a contribution like Talley is this year, if needed” or “THT could be a very good scorer next year and be an impact player like Wigginton is this year” is not synonymous with saying they play the same position or have the same experience. Nor is it dependent on those things.

I can’t decide if you read way too much into that post, or didn’t read it at all. Who do you think was in that definite 8-man rotation mentioned in the same post if I wasn’t including Talley and Zion was be alluded to as the 9th man? Do you think saying Jacobson has the ability to make as much of an impact next year as Young this year means it’s assumed Young is gone next year?

The way you phrased it made it sound like you forgot Talley will be here next year. Otherwise, why wouldn't Talley just continue to contribute like Talley this year?

• Disagree
Reactions: cyclones360

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
This blog by CW got me thinking about the future and the trio ISU should have for the next few years. I personally think THT is going to be an absolute superstar and we've already touched on how special Wigginton and Lard are. I think they could turn into the best trio ever. Been some great ones in the past....

Morris/Niang/Long
Ejim/Kane/Niang
Fizer/Tinsley/Johnson
Stinson/Blalock/Clark
Willoughby/Cato/Pratt
Hoiberg/Meyer/Michalek

• Informative
Reactions: r06b

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
That luck being NWB and Brase back, hot shooting, and another team helping us with an upset.

We obviously can beat any Big 12 team, but our inconsistency and depth says 4 wins in 4 days is highly unlikely.
I prefer to think that it's our inconsistency that makes us dangerous in the tournaments. Random variation says there's a chance we string three or four great games together in row.:)

In all seriousness, I'm very excited for the state of the program. What a time to be a Cyclone.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and flycy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This blog by CW got me thinking about the future and the trio ISU should have for the next few years. I personally think THT is going to be an absolute superstar and we've already touched on how special Wigginton and Lard are. I think they could turn into the best trio ever. Been some great ones in the past....

Morris/Niang/Long
Ejim/Kane/Niang
Fizer/Tinsley/Johnson
Stinson/Blalock/Clark
Willoughby/Cato/Pratt
Hoiberg/Meyer/Michalek

We have been blessed.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The way you phrased it made it sound like you forgot Talley will be here next year. Otherwise, why wouldn't Talley just continue to contribute like Talley this year?
Why wouldn’t he contribute more in his second year and when healthy? I think Talley will be better utilized next year as we figure out how to use him.

It was a relative statement on the volume and quality of contribution Zion could make. Who did you think I had in my 8-man rotation reference in the same post?

NWB
Wigginton
Shayok
Young
Lard
THT
Talley
Jacobson

That’s an 8 man rotation of at least competent Big 12 players, all of which have started P5 games. Usually that’s all you need, particularly when it’s a guard, wing, post on the bench. However, I think there’s room for a mismatch athlete like Griffin to see good minutes in some games (hopefully we run more) and for a good-shooting ball handler (Harris?).

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Morris/Niang/Long
Ejim/Kane/Niang
Fizer/Tinsley/Johnson
Stinson/Blalock/Clark
Willoughby/Cato/Pratt
Hoiberg/Meyer/Michalek

I always thought Horton was the 3rd monster there but actually statistically I think Nurse may win that out. That'd be an interesting topic. Basically it was Fizer/Tinsley and a whole bunch of guys that could kill you from all over. That team was nuts.

No coincidence that a team with 3 really strong, consistent players with other good role players means overall success.

I don't believe the current team has often had 3 guys playing at the same rate for enough games at the same time or consecutively.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It comes from a part of the state where a Cyclone fan is surrounded by too many tavern hawks.

I get it--I grew up in C.R. area, and we used to go back and forth a lot.

But even if the ISU/Iowa game were intense some years, I can't think of one that defined the season.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Morris/Niang/Long
Ejim/Kane/Niang
Fizer/Tinsley/Johnson
Stinson/Blalock/Clark
Willoughby/Cato/Pratt
Hoiberg/Meyer/Michalek

They only overlapped one season but consider the total aggregate stats of these 3 (That was Johnny's first time in the post-season at ISU):

Stevens / Hornacek / Grayer

The Clones beat D. Manning / L. Brown's KU on a Hornacek runner in the lane at the buzzer that year. To me, that felt like the start of Hilton Magic. Not that I am, ahem, old enough to have been in the student section or anything ... :)

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
I get it--I grew up in C.R. area, and we used to go back and forth a lot.

But even if the ISU/Iowa game were intense some years, I can't think of one that defined the season.

Back and forth is always great, however meanness and idiotic tavern hawks make that victory all the more sweeter. Not necessarily defining a season, just shutting some folks up for a year.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I never understand where this comes from.

One of the least important games on the schedule toward what defines a successful season.
The Iowa game is just as important as a Big 12 game, unless you are in contention for the Big 12 title (We are not). It's a win against a major conference opponent and a win against our biggest rival. You can down play it all you want because it's sounds "cool" to claim the game doesn't matter, but Its a big win for 95% of fans.