What’s going at Casey’s?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Used to like Casey's. When I was on the road officiating we'd stop there frequently and I still miss their pizza. But the decline had started even before we left Iowa.

Was surprised when we moved to Colorado in 2019 how prevalent Kum & Go was. A friend who's also an Iowa native said 7-11 used to dominate but they let their stores get run down and crappy. Kum & Go moved in with their clean, bright, new stores and just took over.

It's utterly shocking how bad the gas station options were in CO until the last couple of years.

They have those stupid Loaf N Jugs that not only have a ****** name, but are also generally crap stores. Kum n Go then started to move in. Now Maverik's are also popping up, then there is QT, which will absolutely own that market in the next few years. For the life of me I could never understand why it took everyone so long to try to get that market. It was there for the taking for years.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Nothing can match the quality experience of hitting up a Loaf 'N Jug in CO, though I'm not sure they still exist.

Haha, posted before I got to this. They still exist but they won't for long. Now that there are a host of better stores making inroads or are coming, like Maverik and QT, it will put them out of business.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
i've had a mechanic tell me that casey's gas is ass. but idk if thats true

I once had a tank of Casey's gas that must have had water/condensation infiltrate the tank as my car ran like ass and had trouble starting. On the rare occasion I will fill at a Casey's but have tried to stay away since that experience.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
When in the Twin Cities, gotta stop by Pump N' Munch: View attachment 106108
There used to be a bunch of these in Rochester when I was a kid. I grew up SW of there just into Iowa so a lot of our local media came out of Rochester and I can still sing the Pump N' Munch jingle.

Hometown convenience
You love a bunch
Fast and friendly
Pump N' Munch

• Winner
Reactions: VoiceOfReason

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Nothing can match the quality experience of hitting up a Loaf 'N Jug in CO, though I'm not sure they still exist.

I encountered a Loaf-N-Jug for the first time ever in BFE Colorado this summer. It was...an experience. Honestly felt like a Casey's except more 'groceries' and less convenience food.

However our boys snagged what may prove to be some of the last few Choco Tacos in existence at that store, so that was one highlight of the trip.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had the Caseys BBQ Brisket pizza the other night. It was actually pretty good. Probably just depends on which Caseys you're going to.
I had that once this summer too.

Casey's food has never been subpar to me. The issue is that it's availability is totally unpredictable, and the stores are always so poorly run that just going to one is unpleasant at this point.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
It depends on the people who work there. Many of the small town Casey’s are pretty good, probably because there aren’t as many job options. In larger areas it seems like they are often times scraping the bottom of the barrel for employees. Might have to up their pay/incentives.

Last edited:

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I stopped at every Caseys I could for fuel on my drive from Florida to Iowa and back. The only gross one I encountered was in Muscatine but that was to be expected I think.