What’s going at Casey’s?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I can't believe how many of you get Casey's/HyVee gas when you can get Kwik Star, QT, or Costco gas. Top tier gas vs whatever Casey's/HyVee sells. There's a reason HyVee discounts it. Pay more for groceries to get discounts on crap gas. Makes sense.

I love Casey's in small towns with older ladies in the kitchen. Donuts and pizza are done great.

I worked for QT in the early 90s. They figured out cleanliness, speed, and customer service is the key to making a killing in the gas business. They paid us so much better and expected perfection.

Kwik Star did those things and added in the grocery and fresh made food. It's the best no doubt. As a QT loyalist that was hard to admit.
QT has better gasoline. It actually has the options for all the grades. Lack of a premium grade at most Kwik Stars has kept me away when the vehicle required it(Subaru...).

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Used to like Casey's. When I was on the road officiating we'd stop there frequently and I still miss their pizza. But the decline had started even before we left Iowa.

Was surprised when we moved to Colorado in 2019 how prevalent Kum & Go was. A friend who's also an Iowa native said 7-11 used to dominate but they let their stores get run down and crappy. Kum & Go moved in with their clean, bright, new stores and just took over.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The Casey's in the CR metro area all pretty much suck. Kwik Stars are tremendous.
Casey's replaced their card readers/keypads and they still never work. Kwik Stars work in like 2 seconds.
I swear their card reader connects to their payment authority by dial up connection. Slowest new POS I've ever seen.

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey and Cydkar

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I swear their card reader connects to their payment authority by dial up connection. Slowest new POS I've ever seen.

Putting in a rewards number adds at least 20 seconds onto every trasaction with how slow their systems take to call home and process the transaction.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Casey's supposedly bought the Swift Stops in Ames. That was a week or so ago. Don't know about the Thompson oil part of it though.
I like the swift stop in north Ames with Subway in it. Hope they let subway stay but doubt it since they have their own sandwich shop.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I much prefer Casey's limited food options to Kwik Star and their subs to Subway (those are my options where I live) but at this point, if I'm not making a rare pizza order, it's almost always KS simply due to them actually having stuff there and not a mile long line because one person is checking out.

• Agree
Reactions: VoiceOfReason

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Stopped in Kum and Go a few weeks ago on a Wednesday. I grabbed a slice of pizza and went to check out. It was full price. I asked "Aren't they $1.00 on Wednesdays?"
"They are if you have a rewards card." I hate that crap.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm actually kind of surprised at how many people go to convenience stores.

I understand in small towns it might be the only game in town, but I think I went to 7-11 twice in the last year?

Got a burrito at a place in the gas station once.

I guess they're out there for a reason. Maybe I'm missing out.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Used to like Casey's. When I was on the road officiating we'd stop there frequently and I still miss their pizza. But the decline had started even before we left Iowa.

Was surprised when we moved to Colorado in 2019 how prevalent Kum & Go was. A friend who's also an Iowa native said 7-11 used to dominate but they let their stores get run down and crappy. Kum & Go moved in with their clean, bright, new stores and just took over.
Nothing can match the quality experience of hitting up a Loaf 'N Jug in CO, though I'm not sure they still exist.

Attachments

• 1669741296972.png
    1669741296972.png
    297 KB · Views: 7

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Nothing can match the quality experience of hitting up a Loaf 'N Jug in CO, though I'm not sure they still exist.
Still around. They've been bought by Kroger and they use the Loaf 'N Jug logo at all the King Soopers gas stations. I don't see too many of their stand-alone c-stores.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Did they recently hire some ex Hy-Vee executives or something?

But really it sounds like Hy-Vee, trying to do too much, just be a gas station with marginally decent pizza and be content with that.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
They all get their gas from the same places, there's no difference.
True. It all comes from the same place although some may introduce different additives. Even "Top Tier" stations get their gas from the same place but they supposedly add additional detergents. I've heard there are a lot of other gas stations that meet Top Tier standards they just don't want to pay the membership fee. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors.