What’s going at Casey’s?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm a Kwik Star fanatic, but man that one on Hwy 20 in Dubuque is the worst possible layout in terms of the parking/gas pumps and getting back out onto Hwy 20 that anyone could imagine.

However I will testify that the whole gas station / convenience store scene in all of Dubuque is head-scratchingly atrocious.
Full on agree across the board. Whatever architect/planner/engineer designed the layout of that Kwik Star should rethink their career choice. An absolute nightmare and I try to avoid at all costs.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I watched a guy one morning, go get an energy drink, walk over to the coffee area and fill both his pockets with the little individual creamer containers, pay for his drink and left. The cashier watched him do it and just shrugged.
That's like the electric vehicle person using the window washer stuff.

Reactions: somecyguy

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
They tried to buy Casey's a while back. I'm not the biggest Casey's fan, but I think we dodged a bullet there.

Casey's is a well-oiled machine compared to Circle K.

It's weird as there are stores that seem to take pride in their origins and ensure they have great stores on the homefront (QT) and then there are those who take their local market for granted and act like they don't give a **** (Circle K and Maverik). Maverik is a much better chain than Circle K, but many of their stores in the SLC area are ******, especially compared to the stores they are putting up in the Denver area.

Reactions: JD720

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I haven't picked one up yet this year, but the pumpkin donuts with cream cheese frosting at Casey's are definitely worth getting.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I must be pretty lucky because Casey's is pretty much the only place I get gas and I never have the issues you guys are talking about.

I'm the same way. I've been to a lot of them and have had no issues.

It's no Sparky's One Stop in Bagley, but nothing is.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I'm the same way. I've been to a lot of them and have had no issues.

It's no Sparky's One Stop in Bagley, but nothing is.

If you live in small town Iowa you likely don't notice. Quite frankly, due to limited (part-time) employment options, the workers in the small towns are usually better than the bigger towns or cities that actually have competition.

The next time, or if you ever make it to the KC metro try to hit up an area Casey's (locations are kind of all over the place down here) then a QT. The difference you see will be night and day.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Dubuque has too many of these locally owned eye sore gas stations called Kwik Shop. It is some kind of weird local chain and they don't do anything well compared to either Casey's or Kwik Star. Very expensive gas, food, and everything, not usually a very good selection of hot food, and not usually very clean. I can't fathom how or why there are so many locations here (at least 5) or how they stay in business. There are a couple of Kwik Stars in town, but I feel like there could be at least a couple more. Only a couple of Casey's too, and both horribly located. Somehow this Kwik Shop has some sort of weird gas station monopoly stranglehold. Wish Kwik Star would just come in and be more aggressive and chase the Kwik Shops out.
Did the Okey Dokeys go away? When I lived in Dubuque I couldn't understand how Okey Dokey could stay open. Horrible places.

I don't understand how Git-N-Go can remain open. There is one by my house and there is never more than 1 car in the lot.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If you live in small town Iowa you likely don't notice. Quite frankly, due to limited (part-time) employment options, the workers in the small towns are usually better than the bigger towns or cities that actually have competition.

The next time, or if you ever make it to the KC metro try to hit up an area Casey's (locations are kind of all over the place down here) then a QT. The difference you see will be night and day.

I live in Ankeny and I'll vouch for all of the locations I've been to here. West 1st is my fav but looking at all of the locations I've been to they seem fine.

That said I rarely go in to a gas station, only really to pick up pizzas from Casey's, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I'll agree with those that say Kwik Star is probably better, but the store is also frickin' huge and I don't need anything there I can't get somewhere else.

Reactions: ZRF

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Did the Okey Dokeys go away? When I lived in Dubuque I couldn't understand how Okey Dokey could stay open. Horrible places.

I don't understand how Git-N-Go can remain open. There is one by my house and there is never more than 1 car in the lot.
Okey Dokeys are gone in name, but a few of the old ones still exist under new ownership and name. All still dumps, too. Dubuque also has something called Big 10 Mart, maybe even two or three of them. I don't frequent them, mostly because I feel like I don't have to. I already know they suck.

Reactions: BigTurk

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron