What’s going at Casey’s?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Ultimately this is a reminder of how nice convenience stores are in IA. We have a few Kum & Gos and QTs out in CO, but the bulk are your Circle K, 7-11 types. I’d kill up to 3 people to get a Kwik Star nearby

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Was there yesterday. Pulled up to one pump, the scanner had an error code on the screen. Pulled around to a second one, inserted my card, it didn't recognize my card, pulled around to a third pump, it said it didn't recognize my card, had to go in and prepay using the card the pump didn't recognize with no issues. Just a pain.
Muggles don’t take cards from Gringott’s.

• Haha
Reactions: BigTurk and Gonzo

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Still got it brother.
From an August 23 Email:

"Starting in October guests will earn double points on every pizza they order – including small, medium, and large pizzas, plus original crust, thin crust, and our gluten-free crust. And you can still redeem your points however and whenever you want: for fuel discounts, a school donation, or for Casey's Cash and MORE PIZZA!

This additional benefit for Casey’s Rewards members means there’s no more waiting to be rewarded. You get what you want right away! As a result of this change, we will be ending our current version of the Pizza Box Tops program after September 30, 2023. You can learn more about the details of this transition on our website."

Now, I didn't click for the details. guess I should check it out before jumping to conclusions.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From an August 23 Email:

"Starting in October guests will earn double points on every pizza they order – including small, medium, and large pizzas, plus original crust, thin crust, and our gluten-free crust. And you can still redeem your points however and whenever you want: for fuel discounts, a school donation, or for Casey's Cash and MORE PIZZA!

This additional benefit for Casey’s Rewards members means there’s no more waiting to be rewarded. You get what you want right away! As a result of this change, we will be ending our current version of the Pizza Box Tops program after September 30, 2023. You can learn more about the details of this transition on our website."

Now, I didn't click for the details. guess I should check it out before jumping to conclusions.
You’re right. Doing some quick math it will take about 12.5 to get a free one.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Someone at Casey's corporate must have been paid under the table for pushing through their new point of sales system. Flakiest piece of garbage I've ever seen. Crashing constantly, won't tap or read cards. Absolute garbage.
Corporate has made plenty of head scratching purchases in the past, spending millions on contraptions that don’t work and eventually are ditched.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Someone at Casey's corporate must have been paid under the table for pushing through their new point of sales system. Flakiest piece of garbage I've ever seen. Crashing constantly, won't tap or read cards. Absolute garbage.
Your holding that decision maker in too high of standard. It probably just took a single steak dinner.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
My (admittedly uninformed) opinion: Casey’s has also grown like mad, but via acquisition, and the investment to purchase other stores has come at the expense of the existing ones. The gas station that we always hit on the way out of Schaumburg, IL was a Casey’s last time we were there, which seems like a big change in their business model, too. It’s like seeing a Pizza Ranch in Minneapolis.

So they’ve got great growth and great stories for the earnings reports, but everyone who has stopped at a Casey’s in the last 5 years knows where this is headed.

They’ve got a long way to go though. Evidence: Speedway

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I went to a small town Casey's for a soda this morning. Warming racks were empty, card reader didn't work.

Five gas stations in town. Three are Casey's.

Pretty typical. No pizza or crappy pizza. Stores always a mess. If the card reader works it wont print a ticket. Cannot wait until Quick Star gets to town.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The bad part is they put most little gas stations and some restaurants out of business. Once that is done the quality of the store does down. Just like the quality of their pizza and donuts has over the years.

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Ultimately this is a reminder of how nice convenience stores are in IA. We have a few Kum & Gos and QTs out in CO, but the bulk are your Circle K, 7-11 types. I’d kill up to 3 people to get a Kwik Star nearby
This is true. Take a road trip through New Mexico, though. It's even worse than Colorado.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I went to a small town Casey's for a soda this morning. Warming racks were empty, card reader didn't work.

Five gas stations in town. Three are Casey's.

This is my biggest gripe. When I'm travelling I no longer even attempt to go into a Casey's for a slice of pizza knowing 90% of the time its going to be empty, or one piece that's been sitting there for what looks like hours.

You can't expect people to want to come in to get a slice so you can put out more of a rotation when its never there anymore. I feel bad for the stores that probably do a good job of the pizza by the slice because I'm gonna blow by them.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is every ******* Casey's on the planet circa the last 4-5 years.

Meanwhile Kwik Star has actually gotten better in that window of time.

This comes up every time Casey's is discussed but it's true.

I still get the pizza when I visit for the routine/nostalgia and it's still the same pizza but the service and stores have gone way downhill while Kwik Trip/Star have improved. I also think their customer service is much more competent.

Reactions: 2Xclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This comes up every time Casey's is discussed but it's true.

I still get the pizza when I visit for the routine/nostalgia and it's still the same pizza but the service and stores have gone way downhill while Kwik Trip/Star have improved. I also think their customer service is much more competent.
I still think the food at Casey's is pretty decent, but I'm mostly butt hurt that they discontinued made-to-order subs (which blew Subway out of the water at one point), and I just hate their overall customer service so much that I try to avoid them when convenient.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
You’re right. Doing some quick math it will take about 12.5 to get a free one.
That’s is if you only get rewards for pizza. But we punch in our number for gas and other purchases, and also use them for free pizza and we always have a ton of rewards anyway. Frequently save them up until we have lots of people around and then get lots of free pizzas.

We have five gas stations nearby and four of them are Casey’s so I don’t see this dramatically impacting our lives.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
400 posts yearning for the good ole days - nostalgia is a powerful psychological force!

I remember casey's being crappy 30 yrs ago - not many in my area these days but, newsflash, they're still crappy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron