Unsealed Court Documents state that Paterno knew in 1976

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's not the point. What happened at PSU or BU doesn't happen by accident. If you want to put an end to bad things when they are discovered and keep them from getting out of hand in your AD (or any organization for that matter), your organization needs to have people who will step up and not be run over by the momentum of success, and it has to have a system of accountability where corrective action is permitted to take place. It take continuous, dedicated effort to put a system like that in place and keep it functional.

It seems that most people think that if something gets bad enough, somebody will eventually step up and stop it. That assumption has been proven over and over again to be a bad one. If you want something bad to be stopped when it is found out, make sure you have people in your organization with the courage to step up and do it. For over 30 years, nobody at PSU stepped up to stop Sandusky.

By all reports I have seen, ISU didn't have that structure in place back in the LE time frame. And that was less than 20 years removed from the the violations that got ISU slapped with the devastating the football probation in 1986. I hope they do now.

I think we're willing to turn a blind eye to some things, like alcoholism. So I guess I agree there.

But I think if it came out that Johnny Orr did something like Paterno, our fanbase would be on the right side of it. I sure like to think that.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think we're willing to turn a blind eye to some things, like alcoholism. So I guess I agree there.

But I think if it came out that Johnny Orr did something like Paterno, our fanbase would be on the right side of it. I sure like to think that.

The sheer depth of the cover up makes it worse. PSU prided itself on their high character program and there were more bodies buried there than most places.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

With any fanbase, there would be a period of denial. But it's been 5 years. After 5 years, I think most people would realize that they should stop with the denial and that there was a lot of evil in that program. And even assuming that Paterno wasn't completely in the know, he still did not do enough to stop the abuse and report it to the right person.

As far as the comparisons to Larry go, they really aren't the same thing at all. And I think that most people after 5 years (or really after a year or 2) think that the right thing was done for Larry and for Iowa State.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
That's not the point. What happened at PSU or BU doesn't happen by accident. If you want to put an end to bad things when they are discovered and keep them from getting out of hand in your AD (or any organization for that matter), your organization needs to have people who will step up and not be run over by the momentum of success, and it has to have a system of accountability where corrective action is permitted to take place. It take continuous, dedicated effort to put a system like that in place and keep it functional.

It seems that most people think that if something gets bad enough, somebody will eventually step up and stop it. That assumption has been proven over and over again to be a bad one. If you want something bad to be stopped when it is found out, make sure you have people in your organization with the courage to step up and do it. For over 30 years, nobody at PSU stepped up to stop Sandusky.

By all reports I have seen, ISU didn't have that structure in place back in the LE time frame. And that was less than 20 years removed from the the violations that got ISU slapped with the devastating the football probation in 1986. I hope they do now.

I would say the parallels are a lot closer in the Fennelly racists issue than the LE issue. Not saying I think Fennelly is a racist it is just a much more offensive issue potentially than being an alcoholic.

I get what you are saying about how you have to have, what I call leaders, who will stand up for what is right regardless of consequence. But the two situations are not remotely the same. LE had a disease, at worst. Sandusky at best is the lowest of low people in the world. Right with Dahmer and those select few people that no one would want to be associated with. The acts are not even close to comparable, so the supposed protections of LE are not comparable either. The argument is flawed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd like to think that we would be better about it but then again, I was a fan of Lance Armstrong and I had a hard time believing the depth of the **** that went down. I never totally believed it until George Hincapie came out and confirmed it. I guess part of it was the fact that the French press had been making accusations for years and years without a shred of proof. It kind of got me in the "We've heard this one before" mold. Now I can't watch cycling without wondering which of these guys are doping. I'm just waiting for Froome and his Sky team who never seem to have a bad day to test positive. I can't look at the Sky black jerseys without seeing USPS blue.

The point being - you never really know how you will react until you are right in the situation with a figure you have respected for a long time. Most PSU fans had worshiped the dude for their entire lives.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree.

My point about lack of institutional control is that while you're 100% correct that PSU doesn't fit the NCAAs definition of lack of institutional control...it should. The NCAA affords it's members benefits so it's members should be held accountable for institutionally facilitated rape. I'm simply stating that if the NCAA told PSU, "You can't play football with our members until we're satisfied your program and AD have un-****ed themselves", I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm disappointed in the Big Ten in this too, they could say the same thing. I think the Big 12 should be looking closely at Baylor and seriously considering if they should be participating in football right now.

But yeah, a RICO investigation is warranted, imo.

I agree. As almost every institution should have as its primary mission the protection and betterment of all students and youth it interacts with, i think the NCAA bears some responsibility for using the tools at its disposal to reinforce that athletics must come after that mission. Any school that clearly violates that principle should be punished severely. Penn St. did that. Baylor has done and seemingly continues to do that. The NCAA would be absolutely in the right to provide disincentives to continue doing that in the future, enough to make it not worth it to try to cover up those offenses or look the other way.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That is possible but people rallying behind an alcoholic is completely different than people rallying around a pedophile and those that protected him.

We can argue the merits of LE's firing at a different time. But the two situations aren't close in comparison. The acts are different and the length of time they went on were completely different.

I also think people rallied behind him because that specifically is something you can come back from. Had BVDV gotten ahead of the story (which would have been entirely possible given photos were on the internet) Larry couldve gotten into rehab, been put on administrative leave, and come back to lead the program when he was ready. You cant come back from covering up pedophiles and rapes, so there's nothing to rally around there.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Using Eustachy and his drunkenness is pretty easy, even if it doesn't come close to what happened at Penn St, simply because it happened at ISU. A much closer example would be the rape incident at Iowa with several football players raping a female athlete, then Ferentz, Barta, Mason, and the Regents swept it under the rug, and nobody wearing black and gold in the state of Iowa even batted an eye.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I actually think it is a terrible insult to LE to even have him involved in this discussion of decades of raping children and covering it up for Penn State football.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I actually think it is a terrible insult to LE to even have him involved in this discussion of decades of raping children and covering it up for Penn State football.

Yes the amount of people still talking about the two being comparable is beyond me. Larry had a drinking problem, didn't do anything illegal, maybe morally questionable at times, and had a disease. How is that at all comparable to what is happening at Penn State?

DUI's and drug possessions are worse that what Eustachy did according to the law, yet those get a game or two suspension max, so I'm not sure how you think Eustachy and Child Rape are anywhere near even apples to oranges.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Penn State's program, fans and community have consciously chosen to be branded as pedophiles for eternity. They have asked for it. In my opinion there's little wrong with people dropping "Ped State", it's their self chosen motto just as much as Nittany Lions.

A program knowingly endorses child molestation for decades from the very top and the university and program do absolutely zero to punish themselves. Disgusting. It's not just disgusting, it was the wrong choice for the long term self interests of that university.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Penn State's program, fans and community have consciously chosen to be branded as pedophiles for eternity. They have asked for it. In my opinion there's little wrong with people dropping "Ped State", it's their self chosen motto just as much as Nittany Lions.

A program knowingly endorses child molestation for decades from the very top and the university and program do absolutely zero to punish themselves. Disgusting. It's not just disgusting, it was the wrong choice for the long term self interests of that university.

Eh, I think they are really slowly moving through the stages of grief. I mean it's a huge program and this is a massive black eye to them, I can see how they can still want to be in denial about it all. But it seems like they are moving towards anger as they are lashing out against any reports/accounts of the stories.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Eh, I think they are really slowly moving through the stages of grief. I mean it's a huge program and this is a massive black eye to them, I can see how they can still want to be in denial about it all. But it seems like they are moving towards anger as they are lashing out against any reports/accounts of the stories.

An institution very clearly enabled a system of long term child molestation. Other than the NCAA's slap on the wrist of scholarship limits they quickly dropped anyway, what punishment has that institution received? Practically nothing. If it were ISU I'd have demanded, and still be demanding we play an empty stadium home season. It punishes the program more than the players, they use this punishment in European soccer for racist or violent fans and it's more punishment than PSU is going to get for raping many kids. If that doesn't fly do something else, but do something. With all these fans rallying around Paterno from day one and PSU football rolling on completely unaffected they have forever branded themselves Ped State.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Comparing this to Duke lacrosse, yikes.

I decided to punish myself and read that whole thing. They really think the majority of this is made up and JoePa had no knowledge of anything and he was a saint. Come on take of that navy blue glasses and come into the real world. This isn't a he said she said battle, This 30 different cases of sexual abuse, for sure we know that JoePa became aware of in some time in the 2000s, if not in the 1970s, he did nothing. At a minimum he should have gone to The Second Mile and told them so they could keep kids away from him. But no, they let him have his on private shower after her left the school and to bring kids to campus and show them around. It is absolutely sick and disgusting, if you are still defending JoePa you are just as sick and disgusting.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

IMO one reason LE still comes up at all (outside of this discussion) is because the story hit the newswire in May, when there's not much else going on in the sports world, so it really stood out to have a lasting effect/black eye on ISU even though technically nothing illegal happened. It still would have made news, probably had the same results, etc., but the story being so magnified was the result of a perfect PR move for the guy who released the photo.

The JoePa situation is light years removed from anything involving alcohol/drug use. We're talking about morbidly awful people ignoring morbidly awful things because money and stature were more important to them.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
An institution very clearly enabled a system of long term child molestation. Other than the NCAA's slap on the wrist of scholarship limits they quickly dropped anyway, what punishment has that institution received? Practically nothing. If it were ISU I'd have demanded, and still be demanding we play an empty stadium home season. It punishes the program more than the players, they use this punishment in European soccer for racist or violent fans and it's more punishment than PSU is going to get for raping many kids. If that doesn't fly do something else, but do something. With all these fans rallying around Paterno from day one and PSU football rolling on completely unaffected they have forever branded themselves Ped State.

Google "Pedo State University" and see what comes up. I agree, they have branded themselves and it will never go away.