Unsealed Court Documents state that Paterno knew in 1976

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So..... you knew about this before it went public?

The Natty Light photo had been out there for some time before the media ran with it. I remember seeing it on message boards well before it ever came out in the news. It was a different era, though, even though it wasn't that long ago. News could still hide on the web. I remember when it started blowing up, my roommate and I had a conversation about why it took so long, because many Cyclone fans already knew about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: davegilbertson

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
No way. Joepa was a saint and it's a damn shame how they're dragging his good name through the mud!

is what I would say if I was completely blind. I said from the get go that there was no way Paterno didn't know and that the coaches who witnessed it should have done more. Multiple people disagreed and told me something along the lines of "you just never know how you'll respond in a ****ed up situation like that" and "Sandusky is the only bad guy." Bull ******* ****! Jerry is the only piece of **** rapist but everybody who knew what he was doing and did nothing to stop deserves to burn right beside him.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
The Natty Light photo had been out there for some time before the media ran with it. I remember seeing it on message boards well before it ever came out in the news. It was a different era, though, even though it wasn't that long ago. News could still hide on the web. I remember when it started blowing up, my roommate and I had a conversation about why it took so long, because many Cyclone fans already knew about it.

I don't remember the picture before it came out in the press. But I had buddies that would drink with him at Thumbs. They even drove him home a few times. This was all in the 12 months previous to his firing. But to us, it was cool that Coach was drinking with college kids. I don't think any of us thought, he might have a problem. But that is when you are 21 and you life is revolving around drinking too much, making it to class and finding enough money to get back to the bar.

Reactions: Cytown12

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Also most guys I know that coach at the college level enjoy their drink, as far as I know LE never was inappropriate with anyone. Yes getting drunk with college kids isn't ideal for a guy in his position, but lets not put LE even in the same galaxy as JoePa, Sandusky and Briles.
Oh please. College girls called him a creep. And ask the married women he hit on at Whiskey River. Good god man...

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't remember the picture before it came out in the press. But I had buddies that would drink with him at Thumbs. They even drove him home a few times. This was all in the 12 months previous to his firing. But to us, it was cool that Coach was drinking with college kids. I don't think any of us thought, he might have a problem. But that is when you are 21 and you life is revolving around drinking too much, making it to class and finding enough money to get back to the bar.

Yep, it wasn't a secret. I ran into him at the 2002 NCAA Final Four in Atlanta, completely wasted in the bar of the Omni Hotel with a crowd of about 15-20 people around him. He was the center of attention, and was just hilarious telling stories. He was slurring his speech terribly, but everybody was enjoying him. I don't think people wanted to believe it was a big deal, even though it was pretty obvious that it was one.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Let's not put Eustachy being a drunk anywhere near Penn State. It's not even remotely close in terms of depravity or human tragedy.

correct. Two completely different things.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Because by the Lord's grace LE didn't have a car wreck and kill anybody.

And the fact still stands, nobody stepped in to do anything because he was winning at basketball...

Having talked with people who were around him back then, LE always (or almost always) had a driver. His destruction was pretty much on himself/his family. He wasn't putting the public at risk.

In most jobs, no one cares if you have a substance abuse problem if it doesn't get in the way of getting your job done. Pedophilia is not viewed the same.

Reactions: 2speedy1

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Let's not put Eustachy being a drunk anywhere near Penn State. It's not even remotely close in terms of depravity or human tragedy.

That's fair. His story is just a guy losing his job before going to rehab and getting another one. There was obviously a ton more going on at Penn State.

I don't think that jbh was aiming at a comparison here, just the example that we would rally behind our own guy like Penn Staters have. After that, the thread derailed the way threads do.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Oh please. College girls called him a creep. And ask the married women he hit on at Whiskey River. Good god man...

News to me. Wouldn't surprise me. Everything I heard about him when drunk were stories like I told about Thumbs or what Mr Janny stated about the Omni hotel.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
That's fair. His story is just a guy losing his job before going to rehab and getting another one. There was obviously a ton more going on at Penn State.

I don't think that jbh was aiming at a comparison here, just the example that we would rally behind our own guy like Penn Staters have. After that, the thread derailed the way threads do.

That is possible but people rallying behind an alcoholic is completely different than people rallying around a pedophile and those that protected him.

We can argue the merits of LE's firing at a different time. But the two situations aren't close in comparison. The acts are different and the length of time they went on were completely different.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That is possible but people rallying behind an alcoholic is completely different than people rallying around a pedophile and those that protected him.

We can argue the merits of LE's firing at a different time. But the two situations aren't close in comparison. The acts are different and the length of time they went one were completely different.

I think his whole point was that we rallied behind our guy due to winning, no matter how severe or not the crime was. Mostly just that there is a degree of precedent there, and that we would almost certainly stand behind our guy if it was something like the Penn State or Baylor fiascoes, because that's just what people do.

I'm also adding in my own twist there at the end. All the blame for that is mine.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Because by the Lord's grace LE didn't have a car wreck and kill anybody.

And the fact still stands, nobody stepped in to do anything because he was winning at basketball...

The fact does not still, nor did it ever stand. Those situations are not apples to apples, or even apples to oranges. They're apples to raping little kids. Jesus, get a grip.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

That's not the point. What happened at PSU or BU doesn't happen by accident. If you want to put an end to bad things when they are discovered and keep them from getting out of hand in your AD (or any organization for that matter), your organization needs to have people who will step up and not be run over by the momentum of success, and it has to have a system of accountability where corrective action is permitted to take place. It takes continuous, dedicated effort to put a system like that in place and keep it functional.

It seems that most people think that if something gets bad enough, somebody will eventually step up and stop it. That assumption has been proven over and over again to be a bad one. If you want something bad to be stopped when it is found out, make sure you have people in your organization with the courage to step up and do it. For over 30 years, nobody at PSU stepped up to stop Sandusky.

By all reports I have seen, ISU didn't have that structure in place back in the LE time frame. And that was less than 20 years removed from the the violations that got ISU slapped with the devastating football probation in 1986. I hope they do now.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Man, I wanted to believe Joe Pa's "awww shucks" old man routine but it's become quite clear he was the evil boss of the crime family.

Aug 26, 2014
Penn State was like the mafia of college football, and JP was the boss.

I get why people say it is not up to the NCAA has no ground to enforce sanctions against PSU for something a coach did, I just have to respectfully disagree. The University's athletic facilities were used to lure children in only to be abused. It was reported to the top of the football program, and it was buried. Why? Because it would hurt the football program. When we put sports ahead of human decency, the entire program needs to be punished. A message needs to be sent that you can not put football ahead of everything else. Same thing applies to Baylor. So although there may not be anything in place to enforce this, rules need to be put in place now. You harbor rape you get a huge punishment...as a matter of fact if you are knowingly hiding any criminal activity for the betterment of your sports program, you will be punished. It has to change.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Penn State was like the mafia of college football, and JP was the boss.

I get why people say it is not up to the NCAA has no ground to enforce sanctions against PSU for something a coach did, I just have to respectfully disagree. The University's athletic facilities were used to lure children in only to be abused. It was reported to the top of the football program, and it was buried. Why? Because it would hurt the football program. When we put sports ahead of human decency, the entire program needs to be punished. A message needs to be sent that you can not put football ahead of everything else. Same thing applies to Baylor. So although there may not be anything in place to enforce this, rules need to be put in place now. You harbor rape you get a huge punishment...as a matter of fact if you are knowingly hiding any criminal activity for the betterment of your sports program, you will be punished. It has to change.

Dang, not a good thread to have your username in.