Terry Ayeni tears ACL; 2 other JUCO's not yet in Ames

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I think Taylor has been here over summer..thought I read that. Pierson hasn't. If they are both here by camp that will be good.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Agree, even those couple of months extra if they get there in June are no doubt very helpful. training table, getting into a couple of classes, weightlifting program, conditioning. I know these kids will say they are staying in shape and working on things but no way its the same as actually being on campus and getting better with your teammates.

Yeah, I agree. Not being here is really hurting these guys IMO. I will say, however, that if there is one position on the team where you don't necessarily have to learn a lot, it would be DL. Just go in there and put pressure on the opposing QB however it takes.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yeah, I agree. Not being here is really hurting these guys IMO. I will say, however, that if there is one position on the team where you don't necessarily have to learn a lot, it would be DL. Just go in there and put pressure on the opposing QB however it takes.

You didn't play interior D-line obviously.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
KSU is a desirable fb destination compared to some b12 schools. Snyder is one of the best coaches in college fb history.

Sounds like they do their homework on players. Pettiness and jealousy are not positive traits.

I don't know. Clinkscales decommitted from Nebraska likely because he wasn't going to get in there. Word is that he took 30 credits this spring and early summer at JUCO and is now eligible at KSU. I doubt that he would have gotten in anywhere except for KSU or KU.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
My opinion is that they need to take a JUCO DT/NG in every single class...no matter who is coming back, because there's obviously going to be defections and they miss on a ton of HS DLs.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You didn't play interior D-line obviously.

You are right, I haven't played DL. But please inform me of a position on the team that has a lesser learning curve than DL, besides kicker or punter?

Everything I've been told by coaches I know is that the DL has the fastest learning curve of any position.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You are right, I haven't played DL. But please inform me of a position on the team that has a lesser learning curve than DL, besides kicker or punter?

Everything I've been told by coaches I know is that the DL has the fastest learning curve of any position.

I would say that is probably because much of what makes a great D-line man is pure brute strength and speed, but if you lack technique in this league, these 300 lbs guys are going to eat you alive. You can't just expect some guy to come in from high school, or JUCO ball and play at a Big 12 level in the trenches. These guys are all huge, work hard, and have their technique sound. If you aren't ready, you're not going to get beat, you're going to get hurt. I think receiver has a small learning curve personally. Whether it is or isn't the easiest learning curve IDK, but in Big 12 football there is no 'easy' position to learn and play.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Rhoads's past comments on the subject are worth remembering - the further away that you line up to the ball, the easier it is to contribute at a younger age.

Thus positions such as center, guard, interior DL, QB, and MLB require the most experience to master. WR & CB are probably the easiest to play at a young age. It makes sense when you consider that there are more complex reads to deal with as you get closer to the ball. OT, for example, has simpler reads than either C or OG. The same comparison applies to safety compared to CB and DE compared to DT.

All positions require an incoming player to have the physical talent to compete at the D1 level. The positions closer to the ball have the added challenge of requiring more to master mentally.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Rhoads's past comments on the subject are worth remembering - the further away that you line up to the ball, the easier it is to contribute at a younger age.

Thus positions such as center, guard, interior DL, QB, and MLB require the most experience to master. WR & CB are probably the easiest to play at a young age. It makes sense when you consider that there are more complex reads to deal with as you get closer to the ball. OT, for example, has simpler reads than either C or OG. The same comparison applies to safety compared to CB and DE compared to DT.

All positions require an incoming player to have the physical talent to compete at the D1 level. The positions closer to the ball have the added challenge of requiring more to master mentally.

I agree with that on offense, but not defense. I'd say linebacker and safety are probably the most difficult positions to learn on defense. Defensive end might even be more difficult than tackle. It is crucial to have good technique but for the position all you really need to understand is what gap to crash and reading if the offensive lineman are pass or run blocking.

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
I don't know. Clinkscales decommitted from Nebraska likely because he wasn't going to get in there. Word is that he took 30 credits this spring and early summer at JUCO and is now eligible at KSU. I doubt that he would have gotten in anywhere except for KSU or KU.

That may be due to reciprocity between a Kansas JUCO and in state schools. Which makes alot of sense.

Fact remains, Snyder is a genius and does his homework as well as anyone. KSU is a very good academic institution.

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
Meanwhile, KSU's 15 annual juco transfers all make it and qualify with no problems. Frustrating.

Again, KSU> ISU. Snyder> PR

I know its not what you want to hear but KSU is a more desirable fit and Snyder does his homework on players.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I agree with that on offense, but not defense. I'd say linebacker and safety are probably the most difficult positions to learn on defense. Defensive end might even be more difficult than tackle. It is crucial to have good technique but for the position all you really need to understand is what gap to crash and reading if the offensive lineman are pass or run blocking.
If an interior DL only focuses on crashing a gap, most offenses can easily exploit that tendency. The DT's/NT's also have to deal with blocks coming from either direction, double teams, traps, midline options, and keeping the OL off the LB's. Not to mention reading screens in addition to collapsing the pass pocket while maintaining their pass rush containment lane. They also have less time to react to what is coming at them than any other defender which is why the instincts that only come with experience are so critical.