Big Streaming News

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
From The Athletic:

"For the consumer, you won’t need this venture-to-be-named later and, my initial bet is most of you will go with that option. The service will be owned equally by the three sides, but each partner will receive the same fee as they earn from cable or YouTubeTV, according to sources with knowledge of the agreement. Just ESPN, the singular network, receives around $12 per month from cable subscribers.

So what does that mean for you? The estimated price for the new venture when you add ESPN, Fox and WBD Sports together likely will be around $50 per month. There probably are some sports fans who would like to save a little money with this arrangement, but it is hard to believe there are a lot.

You already can watch nearly everything that this trio offers through places like YouTube TV for around $70 and change per month. If you want this option, it is already available, with even more channels to boot."

If this is the case, I don't see why anyone wouldn't just opt for YouTube TV.

Won’t these companies also jack up the rate for YouTubeTV to carry them? Same as they did with cable?

Reactions: aauummm

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
From The Athletic:

"For the consumer, you won’t need this venture-to-be-named later and, my initial bet is most of you will go with that option. The service will be owned equally by the three sides, but each partner will receive the same fee as they earn from cable or YouTubeTV, according to sources with knowledge of the agreement. Just ESPN, the singular network, receives around $12 per month from cable subscribers.

So what does that mean for you? The estimated price for the new venture when you add ESPN, Fox and WBD Sports together likely will be around $50 per month. There probably are some sports fans who would like to save a little money with this arrangement, but it is hard to believe there are a lot.

You already can watch nearly everything that this trio offers through places like YouTube TV for around $70 and change per month. If you want this option, it is already available, with even more channels to boot."

Will be interesting for sure but to the author’s note, if you are only a sports fan, which has been proven to be really the only thing on live television most want, $50 a month is still much cheaper than YTTV to get exactly what you want. And if they can get the multi-view and easily switch from game to game down, it could be worthwhile.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I imagine the ABC and FOX networks are those weird national feeds, not your local affiliate. How the hell did the Turner networks get in there? TruTV having a dozen tournament games a year getting carrier fees from this is hilarious.

This is unlikely to be a significant savings over any of the OTT products (at least once they're out of their 'taking losses to show investors subscriber counts' phase), and having to have a solution for local affiliates makes this a non-starter

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I imagine the ABC and FOX networks are those weird national feeds, not your local affiliate. How the hell did the Turner networks get in there? TruTV having a dozen tournament games a year getting carrier fees from this is hilarious.

This is unlikely to be a significant savings over any of the OTT products (at least once they're out of their 'taking losses to show investors subscriber counts' phase), and having to have a solution for local affiliates makes this a non-starter
TNT Sports is owned by Warner Bros. Discovery which is the third leg of this thing

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Won’t these companies also jack up the rate for YouTubeTV to carry them? Same as they did with cable?
That was my thought, too.

Why would they still offer those channels at the current price if they have their own streaming service?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
TNT Sports is owned by Warner Bros. Discovery which is the third leg of this thing
Sure, but Discovery has a whole swath of **** channels they own that didn't make it. The NBA and NCAA tournament use the Turner networks, I'm just surprised Disney and Fox were willing to give them an equal share in this with what they have to offer.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
From The Athletic:

No kidding. With Youtube TV I am able to record every episode of Little House on the Prairie from the hallmark channel and watch it with my 10-year-old as we get ready in the morning.

No $50 streaming package can compete with that. Even nasty Mrs. Oleson from the 1800s would agree if she were alive today.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I might be freaking out for no reason but, ESPN and Fox own the SEC and Big Ten respectively right? If they are bundling I gotta think they have something larger planned in the future, a full on merger. What do we all think (or maybe just me idk) the Big Ten and SEC are planning? A "super league" of 34 teams with their own playoff and championship i.e. kick out the rest of us. If Fox and ESPN are on the same team what else do they need for that to happen?
NBC has a bunch of Big Ten content in the new contract.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Per ESPNs release:

Included Networks:

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
ESPNews
SEC Network
ACC Network
ABC
FOX
FS1
FS2
B1G Network
TBS
TNT
TruTV
ESPN+

This thing is $50/month at the absolute minimum. Better off sticking with a YTTV.

At least until they start blocking off events as “an ESPN FoxMax Sports exclusive, not available on other streaming services” kind of things.

You know they’re working on it.

You guys must have missed where ESPN said they want to pull themselves OFF other cable/streaming services and go it alone. We'll all end up having to pay for this.

Reactions: aauummm

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's coming if Disney is involved.
But an open secret is that Disney is trying to sell off/spin off ESPN. So it is telling that between Disney and Warner Discover that one of the largest brands in the world isn't in the Press Release.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I think I've seen this before and it was called cable. How long until it's lumped in with a sports "mega bundle"?

This would actually be a nice bundle for non-sports fans that want to cut the cable or drop YTTV or other streaming service. Of course, pricing is the major factor here. Can you get this for $30? Currently, you can get these separate for $40 with no ads. So we’ll see if this is actually a discount bundle or just lumped together for convenience type of thing.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Well, none of the sports channels were included in the press release by name. If ESPN was included you would think it would be in there.

This doesn’t seem to be a sports bundle. Max/discovery may be losing one of their two biggest sports properties in the NBA soon. So outside the NCAA tournament, they may be focusing on non-sports content. If Disney spins off ESPN, this may make sense as a separate option to the sports bundle

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Remember the full year or longer contracts to get cable? That will be the final step full circle. For now it’s just a discount for annual.

It’ll eventually be season long subscriptions for each sports league. Sunday ticket, MLS pass, etc will be the only way to watch.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Well, none of the sports channels were included in the press release by name. If ESPN was included you would think it would be in there.
I read this release as a natural extension of the previously announced sports platform since Disney and Warner Bros are involved. It's a cost effective way to leverage software development costs for Disney/Warner/FOX sports platform and address families with diverse viewing interests.

So log into the Disney/Warner platform and buy a sports subscription and/or buy a movie/series subscription. If you buy both, there is a discount.

Help Support Us

Become a patron