RECRUITING: Tidbit on J.T. Gray

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
So our recruiting classes just keep getting better, and better, and better, huh?

Just think, someday we'll have a good enough team to beat a team like UNI. I can't wait.

But seriously... I get sick of hearing every year how talented we are from all the fans and Mr. Paul Rhoads himself. And then we go out and get physically dominated and outcoached by UNI in game one of the season.

So I'll believe we have ALL this talent, when we go out and win 7 or more games in the regular season. And if we do have a lot of talent and are still going 3-9, then you have to look at coaching.
1cnxEJ8.gif

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So our recruiting classes just keep getting better, and better, and better, huh?

Just think, someday we'll have a good enough team to beat a team like UNI. I can't wait.

But seriously... I get sick of hearing every year how talented we are from all the fans and Mr. Paul Rhoads himself. And then we go out and get physically dominated and outcoached by UNI in game one of the season.

So I'll believe we have ALL this talent, when we go out and win 7 or more games in the regular season. And if we do have a lot of talent and are still going 3-9, then you have to look at coaching.

For the love of pancakes. Does anything bad happen in your life like,..........ever? I can't imagine it does because I would imagine if you had anything bad happen you would just crawl in a hole. Seriously you're such a damn crybaby about literally everything. It really gets old. A guy can try to take a message board for what it's worth but with your incessant pouting about everything it just gets to be too much.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Honestly, I have no clue. Way too early to start speculating on that stuff IMO.

Hey "publisher"...NEVER tell people on your message board that it's too early, or too late, or too obscure to speculate about ANYTHING. You don't get that new Toyota Camry without pageviews, mister.

:wink:

That said, when CPR and CFH win national titles in the same year, which one takes a new job first?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
For the love of pancakes. Does anything bad happen in your life like,..........ever? I can't imagine it does because I would imagine if you had anything bad happen you would just crawl in a hole. Seriously you're such a damn crybaby about literally everything. It really gets old. A guy can try to take a message board for what it's worth but with your incessant pouting about everything it just gets to be too much.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

This message is even better when read with the sense it's coming from your avatar.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

I'm confused as to what kind of logic you applied to deduce that this isn't the best recruiting class ever because the team only won 3 games last year.

First, there are many other mitigating factors (like injuries, or crappy coaches) that affect the gross win number other than quality of recruiting classes.

Second, I'm having difficulting judging the affect of this year's recruiting class, not one of whom played a down last year, on the win total of the team last year. Maybe you could clarify that.

Or you could just shut the **** up already.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

If you only knew what I've been told about this guy...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Or maybe injuries, Your Brightness?

(somebody else already covered coaching)

Apr 19, 2006
I have heard from numerous former defensive players in the Rhoads era that Shane is a brilliant defensive mind and is very well respected. I don't know if he will replace Wally, but I certainly do know that he will be the front-runner.

A couple of things that I heard was that Wally was getting ready to call it a career, no shocker. So I was assuming that Shane would be the next guy in. From my source, he stated Shane was looking at or had applied for a DC job on the east coast. If that happened Wally would go with Shane to help him for a year or two.

I'm not sure what happened with all of that or if my source was bad. As I've posted in other threads I was hoping we wouldn't be going through the rebuilding of the defensive side of the ball next year or worse case scenario this year.

With that being said things could have certainly changed now that they have a new OC. There are just so many moving parts and there is always going to be a lot of chatter from all directions.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Even without him committing, has there ever been a better recruiting class in ISU history? Each recruiting class under Rhoads has steadily gotten better, and this one is coming off a 3 win season.

We have a ways to go to match the talent that Earl Bruce brought in during the mid-seventies. The talent in those classes is still the best in ISU history. They put together 3 straight 8 win seasons and featured 4 All-Americans. Curse you again Woody Hayes.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Didn't the captain who works with the team and played back then say this is the most talented team Iowa State has ever had?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Last years problems were plain and simple. We lost a lot, we had a lot of inexperience playing. To make it worse, we had a bad injury problem and poor coaching on offense. Defense is just something more experience and time in the system and weight room won't cure.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We have a ways to go to match the talent that Earl Bruce brought in during the mid-seventies. The talent in those classes is still the best in ISU history. They put together 3 straight 8 win seasons and featured 4 All-Americans. Curse you again Woody Hayes.

Plus Earle Bruce's ENTIRE last recruiting class was Redshirted. One Woody Hayes Punch and the Hiring of Donnie Duncan screwed everything up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We did look at coaching. Messingham and Pope were fired. Expect more of the same if we go 3-9 again.

Exactly. We cleaned house and brought in an awfully accomplished OC in Mangino.
The talent is rated higher by people who aren't just us Fanatics, so I'll buy that we have more talent.

For the first time in the past few seasons, I actually buy that the offense will be better going into the season. I just don't see Mangino giving us what we've had.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Now I know what product Mangino put out, but coming in were those players reguarded as talented as what he has here to work with? I feel like there is so much untapped potential on offense.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yeah, my bad everyone. I apologize. I shouldn't expect us to be able to beat UNI. What was I thinking?

In fact I should just expect us to get dominated by UNI like we did. Who cares? We've got great talent on this team. We've had great recruiting classes under Rhoads. I don't care if UNI smokes us and humiliates us because I can just tell their fans afterwards that we have more talent...... Ha!

I'm sorry. I'm just sick of hearing Rhoads tell us every year that it's the most talented team he's ever had, and then we go out and lay a big fat egg. I don't care how talented you think we are Rhoads.... just win if you have that much talent. Put it to good use.

Hopefully the new coaches you've brought in can help. I will give you the benefit of making the decision to change that up at least. It can't hurt.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron