Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Because he wasn't going to fire Greg after the 2009-2010 season, and he didn't fire Rhoads after this year. Both programs had multiple years of unacceptable results and Pollard made public rants defending each coach. With Gmac it was the transfer rant, with Rhoads the officiating rant this year.

The evidence is on my side.

So because he didn't fire Rhoads this year means he will "refuse to fire Rhoads no matter how bad we are" next year? Come on man.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So because he didn't fire Rhoads this year means he will "refuse to fire Rhoads no matter how bad we are" next year? Come on man.

I believe based on his vigorous defense of both Rhoads and McDermott, and not firing either for much worse than he fired their predecessors, that short of an off-the-field scandal, these guys are or were untouchable.

McDermott didn't have a single post-season berth at ISU, and going into year 6 (?) he had the AD's full support. I mean, I get it - being a nice guy from Iowa is more important than winning to some, but under what objective measure should he have been allowed to come back for the 2010-2011 season? I'll posit the same in regards to Rhoads and the 2015 football season.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I've shared my opinion over there just like I've shared it here. I believe both coaches tenures have run their course. I'm also realistic enough to understand that neither is going to be fired this offseason so railing about it isn't going to do any good.

What I don't understand is how you immediately throw Leath under the bus, but continue to show the patience of a monk in regards to CPR's performance.

Name the positive accomplishments of President Leath.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't think he threw CPR or Jamie under the bus. It sounded like he merely said that we need to do better and he is not sure about CPR's future but hopes he is successful. He also said that we need a turnaround next season. What is a turnaround? He didn't say we had to go 6-6... a turnaround may be minimally 4-7. That statement is open to interpretation! For all we know, he wants us back to a winning record, but he did not say how soon we have to get there either... turnaround... hmmmmmmmm.

I think this is a more accurate interpretation of Leath's remarks.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I believe based on his vigorous defense of both Rhoads and McDermott, and not firing either for much worse than he fired their predecessors, that short of an off-the-field scandal, these guys are or were untouchable.

McDermott didn't have a single post-season berth at ISU, and going into year 6 (?) he had the AD's full support. I mean, I get it - being a nice guy from Iowa is more important than winning to some, but under what objective measure should he have been allowed to come back for the 2010-2011 season? I'll posit the same in regards to Rhoads and the 2015 football season.

I think it was year 5, but your point stands.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO, a more accurate assessment of CPR is that he has been popular and that the AD and the majority of the fan base is acceptable to another season to see how things turn out. Similar, to Johnny Orr having two consecutive disastrous seasons in a row in the 9th and 10th years of his being at ISU. Fans were willing to be patient for a bit. President Leath would have been better off not commenting rather than inject himself into the situation. Private conversations to donors have always existed and exist today. Leath blew it in the way he handled the Bubu situation. And he did not handle this well either. Still trying to think of Leath's positive achievements.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Name the positive accomplishments of President Leath.

Research park is growing exponentially.
Enrollment is sky high.
Staff hires have lowered the instructor to student ratio though enrollment increases.
Tuition has frozen for a couple years now.
Research dollars into the university have gone up.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Enrollment is sky high.
Staff hires have lowered the instructor to student ratio though enrollment increases.
He meant in football :rolleyes: not this unimportant stuff...

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Cool Leath Achievement #1

ISU is the only research university IN THE NATION where new faculty positions are being created at a significantly greater rate than new administrators. This is a huge deal. See below:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/blog/why_iowa_state_might_be_the_be.php

Enrollment is sky high.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Or more likely JP understands what every good manager understands: When you have to praise you do it in public and when you have to discipline you do it in private.

How can someone look at McDermott not taking his son here to play BB, but instead sending him away; then taking a less prestigious job in a lower conference; then getting his son released from his LOI to come play for him and not see that JP had told McDermott that his days were numbered and he either needed to find a graceful way out or he would be shown the door? Offering that graceful way out saved the AD a lot of money, in fact, it brought a little money into the AD as Greg had to get out of his contract.

You don't have to put together too many strands to see what was going on there.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Or more likely JP understands what every good manager understands: When you have to praise you do it in public and when you have to discipline you do it in private.

How can someone look at McDermott not taking his son here to play BB, but instead sending him away; then taking a less prestigious job in a lower conference; then getting his son released from his LOI to come play for him and not see that JP had told McDermott that his days were numbered and he either needed to find a graceful way out or he would be shown the door? Offering that graceful way out saved the AD a lot of money, in fact, it brought a little money into the AD as Greg had to get out of his contract.

JP should have made a public announcement that McDermott was on a short leash which would have made the recruitment of Harrison Barnes even more difficult than it was.:pwink:

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Cool Leath Achievement #1

ISU is the only research university IN THE NATION where new faculty positions are being created at a significantly greater rate than new administrators. This is a huge deal. See below:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/blog/why_iowa_state_might_be_the_be.php

So, in an economy where new job growth has been stagnant relative to other recoveries, they saw the opportunity to allow more students in and grow the top line. Brilliant.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
The article's focus on ISU running an efficient and highly productive university (in terms of investing in research vs. administration) and retaining students via having more faculty (which means more offerings and smaller classes) really doesn't jibe with your economic nihilism. But hey, bombs away!

So, in an economy where new job growth has been stagnant relative to other recoveries, they saw the opportunity to allow more students in and grow the top line. Brilliant.

Last edited:

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
JP should have made a public announcement that McDermott was on a short leash which would have made the recruitment of Harrison Barnes even more difficult than it was.:pwink:

A couple posters have named some positives that have occurred under Leath's tenure. You've chosen to ignore them. Why?

I just don't understand why on earth you attempted to hurl the football programs lack of success onto President Leath, yet you continue to support the guy who is directly responsible for that lack of success. You're swimming upstream.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

There's a difference between publicly praising a good coach and inserting yourself unnecessarily into things to defend an under-performing coach. If JP wasn't accepting of their job performances, he doesn't go out of his way to rail against transfers or Big 12 officials, essentially unprovoked.

I think McDermott kept Doug away from ISU to somewhat shelter him from the criticism that would have come from the fanbase, as well as his own belief that Doug wasn't a high-major type of player, not because JP told him his days were numbered. Hoiberg was hired nearly 2 months after our season had ended. If McDermott was truly looking at losing his job, he would have been fired at the end of the season. He was clearly coming back for the 2010-2011 season prior to taking the Creighton job.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
So let me get this straight. Fans dislike Pollard's public backing of Rhoads. And fans dislike Leath basically saying its do or die time with Rhoads.

Ok then.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
A couple posters have named some positives that have occurred under Leath's tenure. You've chosen to ignore them. Why?

I just don't understand why on earth you attempted to hurl the football programs lack of success onto President Leath, yet you continue to support the guy who is directly responsible for that lack of success. You're swimming upstream.

The enrollment increases are nice and research money as well and continue the trend that was happening when Leath was hired. Those are good things and I commend him for continuing our success in those areas.

I do not think Leath handled the Bubu situation well. I do not think he handled the VEISHEA situation very well. And I felt it would have been better to give some generic comment of how we strive for excellence with our athletic programs and we hope to continue that.

Yes, I support the decision for CPR to continue coaching Iowa State for the 2015 season. IMO, it is the best for our short term success in our newly expanded stadium. And for our long term success as well.

The Football program was in a shambles when CPR was hired. Great upsets over teams we have never beaten. 3 bowls. A bowl victory. Record attendance at Jack Trice Stadium. Record fundraising for football. All those things are what led to the Jack Trice Stadium Expansion. IMO, CPR deserves another shot for next year and see what happens. We have commitments from a couple of very good Juco DT's which should help our team next year. And hope for more great recruits. Those commitments do not happen if CPR is fired.

You do not really have Iowa State Football's best interests in mind when it comes to what we do. You would rather that we would get beat by the Iowa Hawkeyes every year in all sports. So excuse me for not agreeing with your suggestions or thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.