Pres. Leath Comments on Rhoads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
He was actually right about the defensive tackles until Jensen and Cousins got injured. Ayeni was injured from the start, so we'll never know how good the defensive tackles would have been had guys stayed healthy, but based on their play against K-State, Iowa, and Oklahoma State, I think it's safe to say they were indeed better until injuries took their toll.

Injuries are an excuse. It is still CPR's job to build the roster. He's been in Ames long enough that he's had plenty of time to provide capable back ups. I understand very well that ISU has been stricken by the injury bug the last two years, but that doesn't change the fact it's an excuse. Every team deals with injuries. Heck, I could argue Iowa could have played for a national championship had Ricky Stanzi not been hurt, but what good would that do me? It's an excuse. He did get hurt, and the rest is history.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Injuries are an excuse. It is still CPR's job to build the roster. He's been in Ames long enough that he's had plenty of time to provide capable back ups. I understand very well that ISU has been stricken by the injury bug the last two years, but that doesn't change the fact it's an excuse. Every team deals with injuries. Heck, I could argue Iowa could have played for a national championship had Ricky Stanzi not been hurt, but what good would that do me? It's an excuse. He did get hurt, and the rest is history.

This proves 100% you know very little about ISU...there is more to it than injuries.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Coe and Irving......not injuries. Happened in the spring. Collin Bevins transferred......homesick, not injured. All Defensive Tackles.

I thought Iowa was going to play for the National Championship this year. What happened?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Actually I am attacking him for the way he handled the Bubu situation, the VEISHEA situation, etc. Leath is continuing the path in the other areas academically that we were already on. The programs you highlighted were in place before Leath assumed his office. Times have been pretty great in agriculture for the last few years and a University with Iowa State's background and history should do well. President Geoffrey left Iowa State University in a great position.

So you blame Leath for continuing down the road of success, but want to keep a 2 and 3 win coach for the same reason? You yourself have claimed CPR success with lofty bowls games and a bowl win. Are Leath's 2 "failures" bigger in the grand scheme of the athletics department than CPR's 2 WINS last year?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I never said he wasn't an incredible Fund Raiser with strong connections. That's what got him hired as I understand it. But that does not make him a strong leader in a communications, leadership and people skills. Ie, many great Sales/Pitch men do not make good CEO's. Different skill sets. Having strong communication skills are essential for Leadership to communicate a Vision. Not allowing your top managers (JP) to do their jobs or commenting on an area outside his area of expertise shows poor leadership. His comments from a timing standpoint back that up (in the middle of recruiting season).
No secret we need JUCO talent. Many of these JUCO's rely on their Juco head coach for advice on what school to choose. Leath making the comments he did, with a coach who has 4 years left on his contract, was unnecessary IMO as JP made a clear statement 2 weeks ago that still allowed a positive message while making it clear next year was important. Now if a JUCO's coach reads all this and his kid wants stability knowing who the HC will be, he cast more uncertainty than needed. Let JP run his department!
Lastly some people think in all circumstances, in down times, that "something" needs to be said or done to appease others. In some cases (and this is one of them) saying nothing would be the best thing.

Dude - what's with that elephant?

What elephant?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He says he expects us to be good next year.

Did you miss that?

More than a few expected us to be good THIS year. And LAST year. And those were folks claiming some sort of inside knowledge on an anonymous chat board. Very few recruits accepts a scholarship expecting to suck.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
Long story short its all about W's and L's CPR just ain't cutting the mustard. Sigh only one more season to stomach the product on the field...

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
This proves 100% you know very little about ISU...there is more to it than injuries.

I'm well aware there was more to it than injuries. However, the post by Luth I was responding to only mentioned injuries. No matter which way you slice it excuses are still being made. Injuries, attrition, etc. With leadership comes responsibility. Rhoads understands that. That's what he's getting paid the big bucks for. Ultimately he is accountable no matter what the situation, and the results prove he isn't cutting it.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Pretty surprised to read this. Never really seen a university president speak so freely about his opinion of a football coach's performance.

There's also some less-interesting stuff in this link about expansion and a conference championship game which isn't really anything new. Mostly wanted to share the Leath comments on CPR.

How does he define turn-around?

I don't believe it is a good idea for the university president to put the coach on the plank because recruits want to go to a stable program. If the university president had some openings on his personal staff but the president's boss was making public statements indicating the president was on thin ice it is likely otherwise qualified and interested people would not apply.

I guarantee those statements will be used against ISU on the recruiting trail by opposing coaches.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There's gonna be a lot of shocked people next year when we are on a bowl game. Actually no there won't, because most of you will act like you knew we'd have a good year.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I'll be shocked.

Have you recovered from the shock of the Hawkeyes disappointing season? They lost at home to Iowa State and played one of the weakest schedules while being in the weakest division of the weakest Power 5 Conference.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
LOL. You avoided the question completely. Evidently you are still shocked. The loss to Iowa State must still leave a big butt hurt. LOL.

Not shocked at all. You have weak sauce man. Go back and read that thread from April and tell me who sounds foolish. You're repeating your same schtick over and over again.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Not shocked at all. You have weak sauce man. Go back and read that thread from April and tell me who sounds foolish. You're repeating your same schtick over and over again.

What is sad is that the Iowa State Football team left you with so much Butt Hurt that you continually come here and post day after day after day. Care to make any predictions of the Iowa State---Iowa Football game for next fall?

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
What is sad is that the Iowa State Football team left you with so much Butt Hurt that you continually come here and post day after day after day. Care to make any predictions of the Iowa State---Iowa Football game for next fall?

I predict it will be a good game, and if Ferentz is still playing risk averse football the Hawks could very likely get beat.

That's what we call a rational approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron