Pres. Leath Comments on Rhoads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
IMO, a more accurate assessment of CPR is that he has been popular and that the AD and the majority of the fan base is acceptable to another season to see how things turn out. Similar, to Johnny Orr having two consecutive disastrous seasons in a row in the 9th and 10th years of his being at ISU. Fans were willing to be patient for a bit. President Leath would have been better off not commenting rather than inject himself into the situation. Private conversations to donors have always existed and exist today. Leath blew it in the way he handled the Bubu situation. And he did not handle this well either. Still trying to think of Leath's positive achievements.
Were you surprised?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Name the positive accomplishments of President Leath.

http://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2014/11/13/funding

colbertmicgif.gif

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The enrollment increases are nice and research money as well and continue the trend that was happening when Leath was hired. Those are good things and I commend him for continuing our success in those areas.

I do not think Leath handled the Bubu situation well. I do not think he handled the VEISHEA situation very well. And I felt it would have been better to give some generic comment of how we strive for excellence with our athletic programs and we hope to continue that.

Yes, I support the decision for CPR to continue coaching Iowa State for the 2015 season. IMO, it is the best for our short term success in our newly expanded stadium. And for our long term success as well.

The Football program was in a shambles when CPR was hired. Great upsets over teams we have never beaten. 3 bowls. A bowl victory. Record attendance at Jack Trice Stadium. Record fundraising for football. All those things are what led to the Jack Trice Stadium Expansion. IMO, CPR deserves another shot for next year and see what happens. We have commitments from a couple of very good Juco DT's which should help our team next year. And hope for more great recruits. Those commitments do not happen if CPR is fired.

You do not really have Iowa State Football's best interests in mind when it comes to what we do. You would rather that we would get beat by the Iowa Hawkeyes every year in all sports. So excuse me for not agreeing with your suggestions or thoughts.
I will be shocked if we lose to UNI, but I will not be totally surprised based on previous history. Paul needs to have his team ready to roll right out of the gate. We started okay against NDSU first quarter then we went to sleep for a few games. The defense never had it going for more than a couple of series and sporadic was middle name for the offense.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
The article's focus on ISU running an efficient and highly productive university (in terms of investing in research vs. administration) and retaining students via having more faculty (which means more offerings and smaller classes) really doesn't jibe with your economic nihilism. But hey, bombs away!

What it means in a macro sense is that they saw an obvious opportunity for growth and ran with it. Leath has connections with deep pockets, I will say that for him! And the basic premise is you invest in down times. And invest wisely.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
ISU is one of the most efficiently-run universities in the country. There is no plausible argument to the contrary.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
So then, essentially, you're attacking Leath for doing his job well (as measured by your own axioms)?

What it means in a macro sense is that they saw an obvious opportunity for growth and ran with it. Leath has connections with deep pockets, I will say that for him! And the basic premise is you invest in down times. And invest wisely.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So let me get this straight. Fans dislike Pollard's public backing of Rhoads. And fans dislike Leath basically saying its do or die time with Rhoads.

Ok then.

After some time to have processed it, I really don't like how Pollard got in front of the media and railed against the officiating in Stillwater. If Rhoads did it, that's fine. I liked when he did it against UT, but that was a more pivotal missed call than what happened at OSU this year.

Pollard was basically coming out and saying "I don't blame the coach for poor results on the field" when he did that.

I have no issue with what Leath said here, either.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So then, essentially, you're attacking Leath for doing his job well (as measured by your own axioms)?

Actually I am attacking him for the way he handled the Bubu situation, the VEISHEA situation, etc. Leath is continuing the path in the other areas academically that we were already on. The programs you highlighted were in place before Leath assumed his office. Times have been pretty great in agriculture for the last few years and a University with Iowa State's background and history should do well. President Geoffrey left Iowa State University in a great position.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

I never said he wasn't an incredible Fund Raiser with strong connections. That's what got him hired as I understand it. But that does not make him a strong leader in a communications, leadership and people skills. Ie, many great Sales/Pitch men do not make good CEO's. Different skill sets. Having strong communication skills are essential for Leadership to communicate a Vision. Not allowing your top managers (JP) to do their jobs or commenting on an area outside his area of expertise shows poor leadership. His comments from a timing standpoint back that up (in the middle of recruiting season).
No secret we need JUCO talent. Many of these JUCO's rely on their Juco head coach for advice on what school to choose. Leath making the comments he did, with a coach who has 4 years left on his contract, was unnecessary IMO as JP made a clear statement 2 weeks ago that still allowed a positive message while making it clear next year was important. Now if a JUCO's coach reads all this and his kid wants stability knowing who the HC will be, he cast more uncertainty than needed. Let JP run his department!
Lastly some people think in all circumstances, in down times, that "something" needs to be said or done to appease others. In some cases (and this is one of them) saying nothing would be the best thing.

Last edited:

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
if all we are selling is playing time to juco players. I really don't think the comments hurt recruiting. CPR would be long gone at any other self respecting university. these are the first comments I have heard from anyone at ISU that lets people know they are done polishing the turd.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
if all we are selling is playing time to juco players. I really don't think the comments hurt recruiting. CPR would be long gone at any other self respecting university. these are the first comments I have heard from anyone at ISU that lets people know they are done polishing the turd.

This. Taking it back to my original point. His comments don't hurt recruiting. It doesn't matter that it's prime recruiting season. Results are what hurt recruiting the most. Some kid isn't going to care what the President of the University said. Any kid who can look at the record from the previous two years would understand that Rhoads is on a short leash.

It sounds to me like Leath is acknowledging the frustrated portion of the fan base. Pollard made it obvious that he backs Rhoads. Leath is making it obvious that in the end it's about results. Some people don't care to hear the hoorah tactics anymore. If they feel like they are being ignored then that doesn't help either.

Basically this is a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario, but regardless of how you feel about him making these comments it's not going to damage recruiting anymore than has already been done.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This. Taking it back to my original point. His comments don't hurt recruiting. It doesn't matter that it's prime recruiting season. Results are what hurt recruiting the most. Some kid isn't going to care what the President of the University said. Any kid who can look at the record from the previous two years would understand that Rhoads is on a short leash.

It sounds to me like Leath is acknowledging the frustrated portion of the fan base. Pollard made it obvious that he backs Rhoads. Leath is making it obvious that in the end it's about results. Some people don't care to hear the hoorah tactics anymore. If they feel like they are being ignored then that doesn't help either.

Basically this is a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario, but regardless of how you feel about him making these comments it's not going to damage recruiting anymore than has already been done.

According to DT recruit Bobby Leath's comments, he says that we were really young and had a lot of injuries and expects us to be good next year. He is coming to ISU BECAUSE of the coaches we have.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
According to DT recruit Bobby Leath's comments, he says that we were really young and had a lot of injuries and expects us to be good next year. He is coming to ISU BECAUSE of the coaches we have.

You mean to tell me a recruit said good things about the school he's going to attend!? No way!!!!

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
He says he expects us to be good next year.

Did you miss that?

I'm sorry... what do you expect a recruit to say? Every team in D1 football would be competing for conference championships if you went off of what some of their incoming recruits said. Of course they are going to be positive.

If you just landed a big job are you going to immediately be critical of the company that hired you?

On the other hand, when you're literally the worst defense in college football it is only natural to expect it to be better. It can't get any worse I suppose.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I'm sorry... what do you expect a recruit to say? Every team in D1 football would be competing for conference championships if you went off of what some of their incoming recruits said. Of course they are going to be positive.

If you just landed a big job are you going to immediately be critical of the company that hired you?

On the other hand, when you're literally the worst defense in college football it is only natural to expect it to be better. It can't get any worse I suppose.

Say what? Bobby Leath had his choice of several Power 5 Conference schools, including K-State.

If a company that has sucked, hires some really great people for key positions, should everyone just assume that the company will continue to suck? And that the new people will suck as well because the company sucked before?

Would you constantly be saying negative things about that company before those newly hired people even had a chance to contribute and turn things around?

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Say what? Bobby Leath had his choice of several Power 5 Conference schools, including K-State.

If a company that has sucked, hires some really great people for key positions, should everyone just assume that the company will continue to suck? And that the new people will suck as well because the company sucked before?

Would you constantly be saying negative things about that company before those newly hired people even had a chance to contribute and turn things around?

Depends on the company, and how many holes they have to fill. If only a couple pieces are needed to help them turn the corner then I would be more positive, but the reality here is that a couple pieces likely aren't going to be enough to make a difference. Especially a couple pieces that haven't played ball at this level. ISU can't afford to have players with a learning curve. They need guys who will be ready to play at a high level from day one. The best defensive lineman the Cyclones had graduated. The best offensive lineman graduated. Cousins got in trouble. Sorry I don't see enough reinforcements coming to turn the tide of war.

You said virtually all of these things a year ago. You're becoming the boy who cries wolf. The eternal optimist is nice and all, but at some point it makes you look a ridiculous. You crossed that point awhile ago.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Depends on the company, and how many holes they have to fill. If only a couple pieces are needed to help them turn the corner then I would be more positive, but the reality here is that a couple pieces likely aren't going to be enough to make a difference. Especially a couple pieces that haven't played ball at this level. ISU can't afford to have players with a learning curve. They need guys who will be ready to play at a high level from day one. The best defensive lineman the Cyclones had graduated. The best offensive lineman graduated. Cousins got in trouble. Sorry I don't see enough reinforcements coming to turn the tide of war.

You said virtually all of these things a year ago. You're becoming the boy who cries wolf. The eternal optimist is nice and all, but at some point it makes you look a ridiculous. You crossed that point awhile ago.

I really do not find much credibility in your analysis.

You are the guy who said that the Iowa Linebackers would be just fine. You said they would not have trouble replacing their Linebackers. And you also predicted an Iowa Victory over Iowa State.

Did you say that you would leave these message boards if Iowa beat Iowa State in football?

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
I really do not find much credibility in your analysis.

You are the guy who said that the Iowa Linebackers would be just fine. You said they would not have trouble replacing their Linebackers. And you also predicted an Iowa Victory over Iowa State.

Did you say that you would leave these message boards if Iowa beat Iowa State in football?

I never said I would leave. I said I would eat crow... which I did.

I also admitted I underestimated how tough it would be to replace Morris, Kirksey, and Hitchens. That was obvious after the UNI game. I've never claimed to be perfect, and when I'm wrong I admit it. I was wrong about specifics, but I was right about the big picture (roughly how the seasons would go).

You failed miserably at visualizing just how bad the Cyclones defense was going to be. You said the loss at DTs would actually be a good thing. You argued the Juco guys would fill the void. You thought the team would be much better than it was. Everything you're saying now sounds familiar.

I've learned from my mistakes. I was too optimistic about Iowa last year. Most of that was due to the easy schedule. I won't make that mistake again. Instead I'll take a wait and see approach.

Sounds to me like you're reverting back to the same approach that didn't do you much good year ago. Could the Cyclones be better next year? Sure, but that's not saying a whole lot. How much better is the million dollar question, and I don't see any way they make enough improvements to save CPR's job. I think 4 wins is the ceiling.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I never said I would leave. I said I would eat crow... which I did.

I also admitted I underestimated how tough it would be to replace Morris, Kirksey, and Hitchens. That was obvious after the UNI game. I've never claimed to be perfect, and when I'm wrong I admit it. I was wrong about specifics, but I was right about the big picture (roughly how the seasons would go).

You failed miserably at visualizing just how bad the Cyclones defense was going to be. You said the loss at DTs would actually be a good thing. You argued the Juco guys would fill the void. You thought the team would be much better than it was. Everything you're saying now sounds familiar.

I've learned from my mistakes. I was too optimistic about Iowa last year. Most of that was due to the easy schedule. I won't make that mistake again. Instead I'll take a wait and see approach.

Sounds to me like you're reverting back to the same approach that didn't do you much good year ago. Could the Cyclones be better next year? Sure, but that's not saying a whole lot. How much better is the million dollar question, and I don't see any way they make enough improvements to save CPR's job. I think 4 wins is the ceiling.

He was actually right about the defensive tackles until Jensen and Cousins got injured. Ayeni was injured from the start, so we'll never know how good the defensive tackles would have been had guys stayed healthy, but based on their play against K-State, Iowa, and Oklahoma State, I think it's safe to say they were indeed better until injuries took their toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron