Pres. Leath Comments on Rhoads

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Pretty surprised to read this. Never really seen a university president speak so freely about his opinion of a football coach's performance.

President Leath said:
I’d like to get our football program where it needs to be, which is representative of a first-class university. We’re not there. The last two seasons were clearly disappointing.

As to Paul’s future, I can’t predict that. [Rhoads] knows, [Jamie Pollard] knows that we want a first-class, winning program and that’s where we’ve got to be and hopefully he’s the guy to get us there, but either way, we’ve got to get there.

Radio Iowa said:
Leath says coach Paul Rhodes (sic, smh Radio Iowa) understands “it’s a business” and a turn-around is expected next season.

There's also some less-interesting stuff in this link about expansion and a conference championship game which isn't really anything new. Mostly wanted to share the Leath comments on CPR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Judoka

Transient

Apr 17, 2008
The Cyclone football team finished the 2014 season with just two wins. Leath says coach Paul Rhodes understands “it’s a business” and a turn-around is expected next season.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The Cyclone football team finished the 2014 season with just two wins. Leath says coach Paul Rhodes understands “it’s a business” and a turn-around is expected next season.

That does seem to be pretty meaningful along with everything else he said.

Leath coming out strong and publicly for a "last chance" year for CPR in 2015.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
To be honest, not really a Presidents job to comment on the future of a coach. That's ADs job. Not sure he should say anything at all. Doesn't help getting talent in.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
To be honest, not really a Presidents job to comment on the future of a coach. That's ADs job. Not sure he should say anything at all. Doesn't help getting talent in.

I see your point. It is a pretty strong comment. Maybe trying to light a fire under JP, or at the very least distancing himself from the disaster of the last two years?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I see your point. It is a pretty strong comment. Maybe trying to light a fire under JP, or at the very least distancing himself from the disaster of the last two years?

I don't know why this would be necessary. If Leath really wanted a new football coach (financial concerns aside), there would be one. It might require getting a new AD as well, but he could do it.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
What Leath did was not what a good leader does. He may have reason to feel the way he does and that's fine but you keep it behind closed doors, keep your mouth shut and don't further cripple an already challenging situation by making Public comments like this.
He should have made no statement or if pressed, just said something like "we will evaluate the program this time next year as we do with all our athletic programs and make decisions accordingly."
He threw CPR under the bus and whether you like CPR or not, Leath just kicked one of CPRs legs out from under him making next year even more challenging. Horrible PR move by Leath, who came across as pretty arrogant on the video I saw of him when he took the job. Not good Leadership by him!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The boss man can say whatever he wants that is what makes him the boss.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
What Leath did was not what a good leader does. He may have reason to feel the way he does and that's fine but you keep it behind closed doors, keep your mouth shut and don't further cripple an already challenging situation by making Public comments like this.
He should have made no statement or if pressed, just said something like "we will evaluate the program this time next year as we do with all our athletic programs and make decisions accordingly."
He threw CPR under the bus and whether you like CPR or not, Leath just kicked one of CPRs legs out from under him making next year even more challenging. Horrible PR move by Leath, who came across as pretty arrogant on the video I saw of him when he took the job. Not good Leadership by him!

I have no problem with what he said. Hopefully it sends a message to JP that just because he's buddy buddy with CPR, doesn't mean Rhoads isn't going to be held accountable for dragging this program deeper into the abyss

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I have no problem with what he said. Hopefully it sends a message to JP that just because he's buddy buddy with CPR, doesn't mean Rhoads isn't going to be held accountable for dragging this program deeper into the abyss

Yeah well when you are the General and the enemy is trying to knock a hole in the wall of your Fort, you don't tell them, "come over here, where the opening is." Every Hawkeye coach, every Snyder recruit will be shown this quote. He had no business saying it and it shows no trust in Jamie either. Two strikes on Leath. Maybe we need a new President?

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
The boss man can say whatever he wants that is what makes him the boss.

Not to the Detriment of your own organization. He can still fire CPR in a year whether he makes the statement or not. I stand by my statement that it set ISU back for next year and maybe longer.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Exactly correct. Can't believe others think it's fine that he did. I'm glad he has an opinion and agree 100% with his, but that's a conversation for hint, jp, and CPR, not the public.

I mean all the fans agree with him so in our minds it's good to know he's on the same page, but you are jeapordizing a lot for trying to get a little good will from people who already don't think the best of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.