***OFFICIAL ISU-Iowa Post Game Thread***

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
Sorry to annoy you. Like many here, I defend my favorite team, and look at things with a pretty strong homer bias.

There are a few pieces to the puzzle on the team for the Hawks, but it's just that - a few. I was just pleased with the fact that they didn't give up, kept fighting, and at least made it a little interesting in the 2nd half. Nobody is denying that this wasn't ISU's game from the opening tip, because it was.

In my opinion, the final score ended right about where it should have. ISU isn't 25 points better than Iowa. That doesn't mean I'm saying Iowa is good, or super talented right now, but rather that ISU isn't nearly the beast a lot of posters were hoping for this year. I'd put it right at 10-15 at home, 5-10 at a neutral site, and a push at Carver. Again, just my opinion.

Isn't Carver the same as a neutral site?

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
Sorry to annoy you. Like many here, I defend my favorite team, and look at things with a pretty strong homer bias.

There are a few pieces to the puzzle on the team for the Hawks, but it's just that - a few. I was just pleased with the fact that they didn't give up, kept fighting, and at least made it a little interesting in the 2nd half. Nobody is denying that this wasn't ISU's game from the opening tip, because it was.

In my opinion, the final score ended right about where it should have. ISU isn't 25 points better than Iowa. That doesn't mean I'm saying Iowa is good, or super talented right now, but rather that ISU isn't nearly the beast a lot of posters were hoping for this year. I'd put it right at 10-15 at home, 5-10 at a neutral site, and a push at Carver. Again, just my opinion.

with the attendance Iowa has....isn't a game at Carver considered a neutral site?

*edit* AllBig12Drinker beat me to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllBig12Drinker

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Correct.

For 37.5 minutes out of 40, ISU was a 20 pt better team.

And no, I wouldn't take any of Iowa's starters over any of ours. ISU wasn't even trying to score with under 5 minutes left. We broke the press time after time and pulled it back out and ran clock instead of going in for the basket. Fred had us in full "protect the lead and run clock" mode. I didn't care for it at all, but I guess we won the game, so hard to argue I guess? Won't work against Kansas though.

Yeah..I have less of a problem with this then most of you apparently.. a 20 pt lead with 5-6 minutes left..we were playing to win, not to cover the spread. In the first half, our wide open guys would have driven in for a layup or shoot the open 3, but up 20 against iowa..if you kill the clock, that game is over and it was. Our defensive intensity got worse in the 2nd half..nothing was open for iowa first half, but i have no problem with the offense stalling at the end. And you don't coach it the same against a Kansas..but Iowas offense is not going to put up 20 pts in 5 minutes unless you do something stupid, like jack up open 3s early in the shot clock. Kill the clock and leave with the easy win..whether its 10 or 30 doesn't matter unless you're a gambler.

We won a rivalry game without ever having to sweat it..the outcome was never in question. I'm pretty happy about that.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

Iowa made the score respectable by going on a run in garbage time. Congrats :jimlad:

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Yeah..I have less of a problem with this then most of you apparently.. a 20 pt lead with 5-6 minutes left..we were playing to win, not to cover the spread. In the first half, our wide open guys would have driven in for a layup or shoot the open 3, but up 20 against iowa..if you kill the clock, that game is over and it was. Our defensive intensity got worse in the 2nd half..nothing was open for iowa first half, but i have no problem with the offense stalling at the end. And you don't coach it the same against a Kansas..but Iowas offense is not going to put up 20 pts in 5 minutes unless you do something stupid, like jack up open 3s early in the shot clock. Kill the clock and leave with the easy win..whether its 10 or 30 doesn't matter unless you're a gambler.

We won a rivalry game without ever having to sweat it..the outcome was never in question. I'm pretty happy about that.

The game was 12-13 points with 12 minutes left in the 2nd half. It wasn't like it was 20 forever. There was a little pressure. ISU hit an uncontested 3 and then got a bad turnover and a bucket+1 in about 30 seconds to take the wind out of the sails....and then Iowa got it back to 12 again. I'm not saying the game was ever in question, but ISU was NOT running the clock out with 12-14 minutes left in the game. They weren't playing well at that point. They weren't even looking RW's direction. THAT is the problem with ISU. He should be the vocal point all game long and then some...and he wasn't.

ISU was never in a position to lose, partly because they played well, partly because Iowa is bad. But Iowa is not 25 points worse than ISU. 10-17, yeah. I agree. Iowa outplayed ISU for about 10 minutes in this game, and it was the first 5 and the last 5 of the 2nd half.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
The game was 12-13 points with 12 minutes left in the 2nd half. It wasn't like it was 20 forever. There was a little pressure. ISU hit an uncontested 3 and then got a bad turnover and a bucket+1 in about 30 seconds to take the wind out of the sails....and then Iowa got it back to 12 again. I'm not saying the game was ever in question, but ISU was NOT running the clock out with 12-14 minutes left in the game. They weren't playing well at that point. They weren't even looking RW's direction. THAT is the problem with ISU. He should be the vocal point all game long and then some...and he wasn't.

ISU was never in a position to lose, partly because they played well, partly because Iowa is bad. But Iowa is not 25 points worse than ISU. 10-17, yeah. I agree. Iowa outplayed ISU for about 10 minutes in this game, and it was the first 5 and the last 5 of the 2nd half.

I never said they were running the clock out with 12 minutes left..the game was 15-20 pts for most of the game though. Its a game of runs and Iowas best brought it down to 12. Didn't get it to single digits til under a minute to play. btw, 10-17 is still a lot. N Carolina is favored by less than 17 at home to long beach..#1 Kentucky against unranked team is favored by 6..I really hope Iowa isn't 25 points worse than most teams..and I mean that. I want Iowa to get better. I think Iowa State would win comfortably more times than not.. whether its 10-17 or 35 comes down to garbage time. Creighton could have beaten Iowa by 40..the final score was 23. So my point was those last 5 minutes that they won weren't a big deal. Down 20, with 5 minutes left the game is over.. still down 20 with 2:36, game definitely over. Iowa is playing aggressive to score as quickly as possible. Iowa State is playing to not turn the ball over and put up a shot in the last 10 seconds of the shot clock. We weren't trying to trade baskets with them at that point. I think we did a good job with one exception of taking care of the ball..with the time left, thats all we had to do.

Like the Creighton game, this game was not as close as the score tells.. UNI was the opposite for Iowa. That game was much closer than the score. I think Iowa State is on their way to being relevant again(time will tell), and I hope Iowa heads in that direction too.. ran into too many people that didn't know this game was being played tonight.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The game was 12-13 points with 12 minutes left in the 2nd half. It wasn't like it was 20 forever.

ISU was up 20 with 2:37 to go. It was some incredibly boneheaded plays and heaps of missed free throws that got it close.

I know ISU isn't a great team this year, but an Iowa team that is 20 points worse than UNI and Clemson is probably 20 points worse than an ISU team. Clemson is terrible.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
ISU was up 20 with 2:37 to go. It was some incredibly boneheaded plays and heaps of missed free throws that got it close.

I know ISU isn't a great team this year, but an Iowa team that is 20 points worse than UNI and Clemson is probably 20 points worse than an ISU team. Clemson is terrible.

This.

-keep

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Some dude earlier crapped on Babb for launching up threes all the time. I think you are thinking of Allen.

According the ESPN, Babb is 27 for 64 from 3 point land for 42%. Allen is 20 for 56 for 35%. I feel much better when Babb is shooting 3s then Allen because when Allen take them, they are usually with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and a dude in his face.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

By few, do you mean positions 1-5? :wink:

Sorry, just trolling. I do honestly believe that we are 25 points better than Iowa.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Babb needs to find a way to contribute when he isn't launching 3's. B12 teams are going to shut him down, he is way too easy to defend right now. And when he isn't scoring he is worthless right now.

Exactly! He's totally worthless on the court unless he's scoring. Like his 9 rebounds the previous game or his defense the first half vs. Gatens.

I say kick him off the team. Fred clearly has no idea about how worthless Babb is.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Exactly! He's totally worthless on the court unless he's scoring. Like his 9 rebounds the previous game or his defense the first half vs. Gatens.

I say kick him off the team. Fred clearly has no idea about how worthless Babb is.

Absolutely. The ones that quietly contribute without calling attention to themselves tick me off. There's no call for that sort of play on the court.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City

agree here.

Always love beating the sqawks. Easy win as it should have been.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I didnt read all the post but if the free throws are missed at the end its still 20 points. I know this is a dumb statement but if we can make the free throws at the end we can hang with more teams that a lot of you are thinking. How many did Palo miss at the end? I think it was 4 or 6 in a row.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
By few, do you mean positions 1-5? :wink:

Sorry, just trolling. I do honestly believe that we are 25 points better than Iowa.

Oh Erik, we don't disagree often, but we definitely disagree here. We both saw things in our teams that we liked and didn't like. The final score definitely indicates how touch and go each team is, and can be. The second half is MUCH more along the lines what Iowa fans have been expecting this season. Yeah, ISU may not have been playing as well, but Iowa was getting penetration, making shots, making free throws, creating turnovers, and taking care of the ball on their end.

I seem to recall fans on here at least being happy with the way the team closed out the Michigan game. UM only won by 10, but was up by 20+ throughout most of the 2nd half. Do you believe that UM is a 20+ better team than ISU?

If Iowa plays like they did last night all year, I honestly believe that at least the Clemson and Campbell games are at least much closer, if not one of them turning into a W. Remember, the Soup game was only a 7 point game throughout all but the final 5 minutes, so that's not too far-fetched.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Oh Erik, we don't disagree often, but we definitely disagree here. We both saw things in our teams that we liked and didn't like. The final score definitely indicates how touch and go each team is, and can be. The second half is MUCH more along the lines what Iowa fans have been expecting this season. Yeah, ISU may not have been playing as well, but Iowa was getting penetration, making shots, making free throws, creating turnovers, and taking care of the ball on their end.

I seem to recall fans on here at least being happy with the way the team closed out the Michigan game. UM only won by 10, but was up by 20+ throughout most of the 2nd half. Do you believe that UM is a 20+ better team than ISU?

If Iowa plays like they did last night all year, I honestly believe that at least the Clemson and Campbell games are at least much closer, if not one of them turning into a W. Remember, the Soup game was only a 7 point game throughout all but the final 5 minutes, so that's not too far-fetched.

But our guys were clearly less aggressive and interested in the second half. If our guys come out with fire for the 2nd half, it's a blowout for the ages.