***OFFICIAL ISU-Iowa Post Game Thread***

dualforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 9, 2007
Grimes, IA
But our guys were clearly less aggressive and interested in the second half. If our guys come out with fire for the 2nd half, it's a blowout for the ages.

Babb played incredible defense on Gatens the whole night. Gatens didn't score until almost 14 minutes in and that was a pair of free throws. Babb deserves credit for this.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Oh Erik, we don't disagree often, but we definitely disagree here. We both saw things in our teams that we liked and didn't like. The final score definitely indicates how touch and go each team is, and can be. The second half is MUCH more along the lines what Iowa fans have been expecting this season. Yeah, ISU may not have been playing as well, but Iowa was getting penetration, making shots, making free throws, creating turnovers, and taking care of the ball on their end.

I seem to recall fans on here at least being happy with the way the team closed out the Michigan game. UM only won by 10, but was up by 20+ throughout most of the 2nd half. Do you believe that UM is a 20+ better team than ISU?

If Iowa plays like they did last night all year, I honestly believe that at least the Clemson and Campbell games are at least much closer, if not one of them turning into a W. Remember, the Soup game was only a 7 point game throughout all but the final 5 minutes, so that's not too far-fetched.

One reason they got penetration is because the refs were calling fouls on anything and ISU was going with a smaller line up.

Iowa needs a huge talent upgrade. A few years ago they had some size down low and now they have nothing. 2 years ago Gatens would have been a stater for ISU, now I dont know if he would even see the floor.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
But our guys were clearly less aggressive and interested in the second half. If our guys come out with fire for the 2nd half, it's a blowout for the ages.

And Iowa was clearly more aggressive in the second half than they were in the first. No question about that. Now, if both teams play to their ability, yes, ISU is still the better team. And I'd say 10-15 points better. Not 25.

And hasn't that been the story of the season so far? Taking big chunks of time off, sometimes a detrimental amount of time? Is that on coaching or the players?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I actually feel for Gatens. I think he's a decent player and he seems classy (unless I'm really forgetting something). Grew up dreaming of playing for Iowa, and ends up on the worst teams they've ever had.

If there was a Hawkeye who deserves better, that's the guy.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I actually feel for Gatens. I think he's a decent player and he seems classy (unless I'm really forgetting something). Grew up dreaming of playing for Iowa, and ends up on the worst teams they've ever had.

If there was a Hawkeye who deserves better, that's the guy.

icyguy

Sep 18, 2007
I agree with SplitIdentity on his observations, and I don't cheer for Iowa. As an ISU grad and a long time follower of ISU athletics, too many Cyclone Fanatics look through rose colored glasses, harbor over hyped expectations, and express irrationally exuberant homerism. You are expected to be optimistic, have a positive outlook, and cheer for our team. But please get a grip on reality and don't go to the extreme. When we get to the level of consistently making the NCAA tournament and top level bowl games, then you can be arrogant like the fans many of you now despise.

Reactions: SplitIdentity

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
My personal opinion last night is that we slowed down starting at about the 5 minute mark. (It's been this way every game I've been too) I don't know if we slow down so we can don't run up the score or what. It just seems like we don't go in down low as much and try and score. There was numerous times when White wanted the ball down low and they didn't give it to him. I know the refs we're calling ticky tack calls, but when Royce wants the ball, give him the ball! He may not score, but he's smart enough to pass it back if he doesn't have a shot. I loved the energy of the 1st half and wish it would have been that way for 40 minutes, but I didn't see that.

With that being said our guys played good basketball and won the game. I wasn't really complaining, just making an observation.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I don't get this stupid argument about if ISU is a 10 pt better team than Iowa or a 25 pt... Every game is different. If ISU is hitting from 3, and Iowa is bricking everything, than ISU could beat them by 25 or 30. It could be closer. Hell if ISU plays as badly as they did against Drake, and Iowa hits shots, they could beat ISU.

ISU looks like the better team right now, mostly on account of their talent. As it was, it was a 10 pt win. ISU fans, we need to take it and shut up. Bickering about 10 pt or 25 pt better is just asinine - there is no way to know without playing 10 games, and taking an avg.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Oh Erik, we don't disagree often, but we definitely disagree here. We both saw things in our teams that we liked and didn't like. The final score definitely indicates how touch and go each team is, and can be. The second half is MUCH more along the lines what Iowa fans have been expecting this season. Yeah, ISU may not have been playing as well, but Iowa was getting penetration, making shots, making free throws, creating turnovers, and taking care of the ball on their end.

I seem to recall fans on here at least being happy with the way the team closed out the Michigan game. UM only won by 10, but was up by 20+ throughout most of the 2nd half. Do you believe that UM is a 20+ better team than ISU?

If Iowa plays like they did last night all year, I honestly believe that at least the Clemson and Campbell games are at least much closer, if not one of them turning into a W. Remember, the Soup game was only a 7 point game throughout all but the final 5 minutes, so that's not too far-fetched.

Look up the word delusional. Your picture might be there with it.

Words can't describe how bad your beloved Hawkeyes are and yet we try.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
As Iowa fans in football said along the line of "ISU hasn't scored a touchdown against the 1st team D in x yrs"......Iowa didn't pull within 20 pts of ISU with them in any doubt or showing any effort.

They play the game 20 times and I think Iowa wins zero.

FIFY

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Look up the word delusional. Your picture might be there with it.

Words can't describe how bad your beloved Hawkeyes are and yet we try.
This right here. Hawks probably won't get past 9 or 10 wins this year. Iowa fans just need to shut their trap and understand that the team is not good.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
1) Slept walk through 40 minutes against Drake and UNI. Slept walk through about 30 minutes against Michigan. Now we're down to about 20. If we can get it down to about 5 minutes of uninspired play for the game, then this team still has a chance to accomplish what we hope they can.

2) Scotty at the off-guard is a big upgrade. He is much better there. Chris Allen should look to penetrate a little more still. Bubu was terrific.

3) I wish they were better at being able to defend hard, but without fouling like Floyd and LE's teams.

4) If they go 10-3 non-conf., then would 10-8 in Big 12 play get them a tourney bid?

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
1) Slept walk through 40 minutes against Drake and UNI. Slept walk through about 30 minutes against Michigan. Now we're down to about 20. If we can get it down to about 5 minutes of uninspired play for the game, then this team still has a chance to accomplish what we hope they can.

2) Scotty at the off-guard is a big upgrade. He is much better there. Chris Allen should look to penetrate a little more still. Bubu was terrific.

3) I wish they were better at being able to defend hard, but without fouling like Floyd and LE's teams.

4) If they go 10-3 non-conf., then would 10-8 in Big 12 play get them a tourney bid?

I don't think 20 wins gets them into the tourney. Of course I suppose a lot depends who those wins come against. But 20 wins ain't what it used to be.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines

We would be on the bubble, thats for sure. That 10-8 record in the Big 12 would probably get us in.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I was very disappointed in the way the team ended the game, but not surprised. They just lack some intensity. They don't deserve all of the blame though, the coaches need to work them harder. In addition it is pretty hard to play tough defense when the officials are calling ever touch a foul. At the end of the game the officials suddenly decided to let the teams play and ISU just didn't adjust to the play. Missing 10 free throws at the end of the game didn't help a lot either.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
This right here. Hawks probably won't get past 9 or 10 wins this year. Iowa fans just need to shut their trap and understand that the team is not good.

"Shut their trap"? Really? What are you, I'm guessing 15 or 16? Telling adults to "shut their trap" when having a civil discussion with other adults about a college basketball game.

Look here, kid. I understand you like being the internet tough guy and all, but if the personality you display on this site is anything to what you're like in real life, I feel sorry for you. I really do.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
"Shut their trap"? Really? What are you, I'm guessing 15 or 16? Telling adults to "shut their trap" when having a civil discussion with other adults about a college basketball game.

Look here, kid. I understand you like being the internet tough guy and all, but if the personality you display on this site is anything to what you're like in real life, I feel sorry for you. I really do.

I really doubt he's a teenager. I don't think I've ever heard anyone under 40 say "shut your trap."

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines

I'm not a kid. I don't act like a tough guy. So you are wrong on SO many levels. I understand you are sad that you lost last night and that's fine, but please calm down.