***OFFICIAL ISU-Iowa Post Game Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm really upset that we didn't close this one out better. That team is absolutely horrible and they were beaten by Campbell by a larger margin.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Impressions:

Best half of the year in the first half. Best defensive effort of the year overall.

I don't think the Lakers could have got into rhythm in the 2nd half with all the freaking fouls. WHAT THE HELL was that? It's not like the game was getting out of hand or we were seeing a lot of hard fouls. They evidently just decided to call a foul every time anyone touched anyone. Completely idiotic, and ruined the flow of the game.

Scottie picked the team up in the 2nd half when they needed it most. Love seeing him back at the 2!!! Bubu was great at the point, and I think this team will really benefit from getting that sorted out.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
If the refs bothered to call even HALF of the obvious travels, it takes away about 20 of Iowa's points. Then delusional Hocks like SplitIdentity can't pretend that this game was close.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If the refs bothered to call even HALF of the obvious travels, it takes away about 20 of Iowa's points. Then delusional Hocks like SplitIdentity can't pretend that this game was close.

Ya, I don't get the refs calling fouls on things that are absolutely nothing and then the Iowa guys stumble through the lane and throw up an answered prayer. A couple times it was not just one extra step, but 2 or 3.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Wow SplitIdentity. You seriously think Iowa's come back wasn't bull ****? We were up 20 with 2:30 left and were just passing the ball around the top. I agree that Iowa was playing much better than us at the beginning of the second. That, I believe was because our intensity from the first half vanished and we had a hard time figuring out the zone. Once we got it back together we brought it up to 20 again.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Seems to be the case with most of ISU's games this year.

Neither team is 24 points better than the other, and both halves reflected the complete crap that both teams are capable of. Both halves also show how decent each team can be if they hit their shots and take care of the ball.

I don't mean this to be rude, but right now, darn near everybody is 24 points better than Iowa.

We let up wayyyy too early. Otherwise, there's no talk of any sort of comeback.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
No, Iowa closed the gap in the final 2:36. Iowa State led 79-59 with 2:36 to go.

Correct.

For 37.5 minutes out of 40, ISU was a 20 pt better team.

And no, I wouldn't take any of Iowa's starters over any of ours. ISU wasn't even trying to score with under 5 minutes left. We broke the press time after time and pulled it back out and ran clock instead of going in for the basket. Fred had us in full "protect the lead and run clock" mode. I didn't care for it at all, but I guess we won the game, so hard to argue I guess? Won't work against Kansas though.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The headlines tomorrow will probably read... "ISU nips Iowa at the end". When in reality, they should read.... "ISU win never in doubt over Iowa".

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Team has looked a lot better the past couple games. Iowa was never really a threat in this game after the first minute. Keep improving and you never know we may still surprise people come conference play.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
The Zebras were out of control in the second half. The number of fouls was absurd.

10 in the first 4:02
12 in the first 5:08
16 in the first 8:02
And 20 10:44 in. They didn't call another until 5:01 left in the game.

But for the first 10 minutes of the second half, there was a foul on almost every possession. Absolutely brutal to watch.

If the refs hadn't completely destroyed the flow of the game in the second half, I think we would have ended up leading by a lot more.

That said...pathetic effort to finish the game. I HATE our slow-it-down, run-out-the-clock "offense". It KILLED us all last year and cost us who knows how many games. If we hadn't been up 20+, it would have cost us tonight's game. It breeds crappy defense and sets us up for terrible desperation shots at the end of the shot clock. I'd love never to see it again. Just keep playing the damn game.

First half was a lot of fun though. Wish we saw that 40 minutes, every game.

Cyclonefarmer

Mar 23, 2006
rural se North Carolina
I don't mean this to be rude, but right now, darn near everybody is 24 points better than Iowa.

I'm hopin it was some lettin up but I wish the intesity had remained. I had forgot how late we were playing with a 15-20 point lead,just would have been nice to finish that way.Also may not have eliminated some of the Iowa fan talk but it would have made it look a crazier.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Seems to be the case with most of ISU's games this year.

Neither team is 24 points better than the other, and both halves reflected the complete crap that both teams are capable of. Both halves also show how decent each team can be if they hit their shots and take care of the ball.

:twitcy: Iowa decent? Keep dreaming

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

That's rude.

And I prefer the angle that Iowa just played a lot better in the 2nd half :)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The Zebras were out of control in the second half. The number of fouls was absurd.

10 in the first 4:02
12 in the first 5:08
16 in the first 8:02
And 20 10:44 in. They didn't call another until 5:01 left in the game.

But for the first 10 minutes of the second half, there was a foul on almost every possession. Absolutely brutal to watch.

If the refs hadn't completely destroyed the flow of the game in the second half, I think we would have ended up leading by a lot more.

That said...pathetic effort to finish the game. I HATE our slow-it-down, run-out-the-clock "offense". It KILLED us all last year and cost us who knows how many games. If we hadn't been up 20+, it would have cost us tonight's game. It breeds crappy defense and sets us up for terrible desperation shots at the end of the shot clock. I'd love never to see it again. Just keep playing the damn game.

First half was a lot of fun though. Wish we saw that 40 minutes, every game.

I agree. The 2nd half was just ruined. I don't think Royce White broke a sweat between fouls, which is a big concern to us all.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
I agree. The 2nd half was just ruined. I don't think Royce White broke a sweat between fouls, which is a big concern to us all.

You know it's bad when I start getting frustrated with the refs for calling fouls against the other team:confused:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm hopin it was some lettin up but I wish the intesity had remained. I had forgot how late we were playing with a 15-20 point lead,just would have been nice to finish that way.Also may not have eliminated some of the Iowa fan talk but it would have made it look a crazier.

Our guys get bored and lose focus when they know they're better than a team, or even suspect it (i.e. flat performance at Drake that got way out of control).

They really need to learn to focus the whole game. Maybe at 10 minute mark of the 2nd half in a blowout/potential blowout, they should look at the next 5 minutes as going all out to get out of this game and sit down. Need some kind of motivation to focus and finish.

Oh, and on finishing, we were much better finishing our layups and such tonight. Much better.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
who cares. the game was never in question.

Disagree. We should have beaten them more convincingly. That's one of the keys if you want to attract in state talents and win the recruiting battle.

Remember when Hayden Fry used to run up the score ? He did it to show Iowans that EIU was the only program in the state to go to and there should be no questions about it.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
It seems like Ejim handles White's passes better that Gibson down low. Both have shakey hands though.