ND to not play bowl game?

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Apparently, the Notre Dame players are voting whether or not to play in their bowl game, pending Weis' future.

Either these guys are a bunch of babies who don't want to play in a worse bowl game than they expected earlier in the season, or they are protesting Weis' potential termination. Either way, I think they need to sack up and play. A lot of teams would love the oppurtunity to play in a bowl game.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish players to vote on bowl game - ESPN

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
So wait a second, the University is going to let the players vote on if they play or not? Aren't they on scholarship from Notre Dame? If Notre Dame is selected to a bowl the playes should have zero influence on if they play or not, it should be the universities decision.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I think they are protesting Weis' termination. I don't think it's a bad thing for the kids to stand up for their coach. It's going to hit the AD where it hurts the most, their wallet.

I think just because it's Notre Dame we classify these kids as being "babies".

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
why would you not go to a bowl?! I would think the university would make them since ya know... they would get a pretty nice chunk of change. i mean not much, but still worth packing the bags up and going to detroit. notre dame must be doing well in the current economy?

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I think that it would be wise to listen to the players though. If they chose to back up their coach and the school makes them go to a bowl game and they protest by do something ELSE stupid, it would look really bad for ND.

That being said, the player should WANT to play the game. It would be silly to not want to play the bowl game, but if that is their wish, it could be a real bad thing to force the players to go. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink kinda thing.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I think they are protesting Weis' termination. I don't think it's a bad thing for the kids to stand up for their coach. It's going to hit the AD where it hurts the most, their wallet.

I think just because it's Notre Dame we classify these kids as being "babies".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the 19-22 year olds on this team, who are having their tuition paid for at a top tier private university aren't being babies at all. It's men who vote to take their ball and go home.:eek:

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
As far as financial incentives go, have we been paid yet by the Houston Bowl?

Also, I'm guessing that Notre Dame fans would not travel well to a 3rd tier bowl.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

I think just because it's Notre Dame we classify these kids as being "babies".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the 19-22 year olds on this team, who are having their tuition paid for at a top tier private university aren't being babies at all. It's men who vote to take their ball and go home.:eek:

That's not what I'm saying. I think for some posters there is a double standard here just because it's "Notre Dame".

I think it's actually refreshing to see the players stick up for their coach after he has been chewed up and spit out by the ND alumni and media.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I think you guys are missing this line from the story...

Athletic director Jack Swarbrick has said he will consider the players' wishes in deciding on a bowl trip.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
But I think the BIG point is, if the players don't want to play in a bowl (say they vote no), they'll get spanked in any bowl game.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
I remember back in the day when Notre Dame would refuse to go to a lesser bowl game, because it would be beneath the mighty Notre Dame to go a game like that.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The notre dame haters are loving this thread!!!! If the Irish want to stay home let'em some other deserving team will take their place at the whatever bowl..:yes:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I remember back in the day when Notre Dame would refuse to go to a lesser bowl game, because it would be beneath the mighty Notre Dame to go a game like that.
I doubt this has anything to do with players protesting the potential firing of their head coach. This would not be the first time Notre Dame decided to not go to a bowl that they consider "beneath" them.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Too bad they can't play Iowa. That's one team they could be in the bowls.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Based on some of the responses in this thread, it would seem that many on here are not aware of it. Notre Dame has rejected bowl bids in the past, so this isn't something totally unheard of for the school. They don't need the money. And it certainly doesn't help your team to go get whacked by some mid major in the pizza bowl or something like that. Plus it allows you to get this Weis thing over with and get on with the official coaching search. I would not be shocked at all to see them decline a bowl invite this year.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
As far as financial incentives go, have we been paid yet by the Houston Bowl?

Also, I'm guessing that Notre Dame fans would not travel well to a 3rd tier bowl.

You don't think that one they would recover costs on a trip to Detroit, and two that they would do any worse than the other teams that could go to detroit as far a people showing up. The homer fans can easily drive both ways in a day. The middle fans that can't afford to get tiks at their stadium when they are good? There have got to be a good number of fans willing to go see a ND game, ND fans or not within driving distance of Detroit. Not like there aren't a few ND financial grads placed in the chicago area alone.