ND to not play bowl game?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
The notre dame haters are loving this thread!!!! If the Irish want to stay home let'em some other deserving team will take their place at the whatever bowl..:yes:

I don't know how many of the posters ripping Notre Dame in this thread for not wanting to play in a lesser bowl posted that they "didn't want to go to Shreveport or Houston, or Detroit".

Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't know how many of the posters ripping Notre Dame in this thread for not wanting to play in a lesser bowl posted that they "didn't want to go to Shreveport or Houston, or Detroit".

Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

I'm just about sick of reading this BS post, again and again, from a few people. When people did this, the OBVIOUS assertion was that they wanted to go to one of our other realistic bowl opportunities, not that they would rather stay home. Also, it was often a question of what the *fans* wanted to go to. I dont think a SINGLE person would say ISU should ever decline a bowl invitation. Even if its detroit or boise.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
I think they are protesting Weis' termination. I don't think it's a bad thing for the kids to stand up for their coach. It's going to hit the AD where it hurts the most, their wallet.

I think just because it's Notre Dame we classify these kids as being "babies".

I can't speak for everyone else, but being Notre Dame has nothing to do with me calling them babies. I'll admit, I dislike Notre Dame, but had this story been about anyone else, I'd still have the same opinion about them.

I do agree it's nice to see players sticking up for their coach, but I don't think this is the right way to do it.

Should ISU players have refused to play their final games after McCarney was forced out in 2006, even though they still had their coach's back and wanted him to return the next season? I know it's not quite the same thing, but it's close.

Last edited:

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
As far as financial incentives go, have we been paid yet by the Houston Bowl?

Also, I'm guessing that Notre Dame fans would not travel well to a 3rd tier bowl.

They have an exclusive TV contract with NBC for a reason. There are huge numbers of ND fans all over the country.

They will show up in large numbers wherever they go.

I am one of those that love to see ND fail, but I have no doubt they will be back in the top ten one way or another soon. They have waaay too much money and waaay too big of a faabase to stay quiet for long.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Wow, a few things people really don't seem to be getting with ND.

One as has been pointed out, ND has declined bowl bids before. It isn't an unheard of development

Two, the money thing really isn't a big deal for ND. A Detroit level bowl bid after travel expenses really adds next to zero to the bottom line for ND athletics. Under the current BCS set up they get $1 million whether they go bowling or not. Also, the whole NBC coverage thing is rather lucrative and they have a huge amount of wealthy donors.

Three, I'm not sure it would matter even if Weis was getting canned or not. That would certainly make them declining the bid more likely, but with a bowl like Detroit it wouldn't shock me at all if ND declined it with a returning coach.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
What does this have to do with ISU football?

Sorry barney Fife, didn't know we had an enforcement board keeping football stuff out of the FOOTBALL forum.

Clearly 2 pages of stuff you shouldn't have read, because some cyclone fans wish to discuss it. I suppose we should put it in the rivals area?

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Wow, a few things people really don't seem to be getting with ND.

One as has been pointed out, ND has declined bowl bids before. It isn't an unheard of development

Two, the money thing really isn't a big deal for ND. A Detroit level bowl bid after travel expenses really adds next to zero to the bottom line for ND athletics. Under the current BCS set up they get $1 million whether they go bowling or not. Also, the whole NBC coverage thing is rather lucrative and they have a huge amount of wealthy donors.

Three, I'm not sure it would matter even if Weis was getting canned or not. That would certainly make them declining the bid more likely, but with a bowl like Detroit it wouldn't shock me at all if ND declined it with a returning coach.

I think most everyone here is aware of that fact. What we are saying is we don't agree with it or don't like it. That said, we don't have to like it, but we are talking about it.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
No - but General College is probably more applicable than Iowa State Football.

Thanks for pointing out the forum error AClone - thread has been moved.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I'm just about sick of reading this BS post, again and again, from a few people. When people did this, the OBVIOUS assertion was that they wanted to go to one of our other realistic bowl opportunities, not that they would rather stay home. Also, it was often a question of what the *fans* wanted to go to. I dont think a SINGLE person would say ISU should ever decline a bowl invitation. Even if its detroit or boise.

Gesh, didn't mean to hit a nerve, but I'm pretty sure there have been posters on here who have stated things like "If ISU goes to Shreveport again, I will not go." I don't have time to go through all the posts, but maybe you do. If I am wrong, I will apologize.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I guess if you say so, since you aparently are the one with the vote, but it wasn't a rival and last I checked bowls were about football, not just other colleges. But as I said you have voted.

I think football and a bowl that just a week ago we were looking at, means its at least loosly realted to the football forum and COULD be there, but hey miro manage away.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
Yeah, the 19-22 year olds on this team, who are having their tuition paid for at a top tier private university aren't being babies at all.

Wow, I really hate the whole "underpriveleged" attitude that some people have. Those kids earned that scholarship and its none of your business what they do. Its really easy to tell which way some people lean politically.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I guess if you say so, since you aparently are the one with the vote, but it wasn't a rival and last I checked bowls were about football, not just other colleges. But as I said you have voted.

I think football and a bowl that just a week ago we were looking at, means its at least loosly realted to the football forum and COULD be there, but hey miro manage away.

And that forum is IOWA STATE FOOTBALL. For the record and future reference, the others are IOWA STATE MBB, IOWA STATE WBB, and so on.

Thanks - I will micromanage away. Or follow the forum rules and setups. Continue to whine away.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Based on some of the responses in this thread, it would seem that many on here are not aware of it. Notre Dame has rejected bowl bids in the past, so this isn't something totally unheard of for the school. They don't need the money. And it certainly doesn't help your team to go get whacked by some mid major in the pizza bowl or something like that. Plus it allows you to get this Weis thing over with and get on with the official coaching search. I would not be shocked at all to see them decline a bowl invite this year.

Wouldn't the players benefit from extra workouts?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I think you guys are missing this line from the story...

Nooooo no no no! Don't tell them that! Everyone already read the article and knows the situation! Let them fester with their hatred together and rabble rabble rabble about how they hate ND!

There's a lot more going on inside of that locker room right now than there was in Ames last year. The decisions made in the upcoming weeks will have a significant impact on returning players next season. Granted next years coach will still have a tremendous pool of talent regardless of who stays and who goes, having Jimmy and Golden back next year would do wonders for a first year coach.

I'm still a proud ND fan and I am confident that the program will be restored sooner than later. I think we've seen first hand what the right coach can do for a program this year, I just hope the Irish find the man for the job. I hope they find a man with the heart and determination that Coach Rhoads has. I think Charlie absolutely did, he has just been unable to bring in a staff that can develop defensive players at the rate that most of the offensive players progress. In the end, that has been the downfall of too many ND teams the past 5-10 years.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Wouldn't the players benefit from extra workouts?

Not if many of them are leaving. Back up QB Dane Crist is out for the season with a messed up knee. A lot of the offensive linemen are seniors. Defense needs more than just a few weeks of extra workouts. IMO there really is no point.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
And that forum is IOWA STATE FOOTBALL. For the record and future reference, the others are IOWA STATE MBB, IOWA STATE WBB, and so on.

Thanks - I will micromanage away. Or follow the forum rules and setups. Continue to whine away.

I just might, because as I said this COULD pertain to ISU because the same bowls were beinging looked at heavily by ISU FOOTBALL in the last week or so. So if rationalizing against your little tattle tail is whining then I guess I'll continue.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Jeesh.. using that train of thought we could lump the Tiger Woods thread under "ISU Golf" since his trials could impact some future recruit to give up the game.....

And since no one really made such a statement or comment... I'm afraid I have to call BS on that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron