Myron Medcalf all but certain Fred is going to the NBA

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I believe Fred will coach in the NBA some day......if he wants to. I also believe that Fred will be the ISU coach for quite a while. I don't see Fred leaving for an NBA job while his kids are still in school. IMO, Fred wants to win a title at ISU if possible before he would ever leave for the NBA. His legacy at ISU would be even more legendary.

Take a lesson from Tim Floyd, a mentor of Fred's. Leave for the NBA, and have a bad year or two, and you can labor in obscurity because you blew your one chance. Pull a Pitino and win a title and you can punch your own ticket back to the NCAA if the NBA does not work out.

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Claims he spoke with Fred about it. I call bull ****.

Anyways, good win.

Leaving ISU at this point in his life and the life of his children would be counterintuitive. Fred and Carol met in high school and attended Iowa State together. His parents had teaching careers with his mom in elementary school and his dad at ISU. They are the parents of four children (Paige, Jack and twins Sam and Charlie). Fred is HOME and there is something about the feeling of being home that no amount of money can buy. As disruptive as moving can be for parents, it is even more traumatic for kids! Fred and Carol deeply love their children. Family considerations require they guide and protect their children. For those who simply don’t get it, growing up here in the heart of Iowa beats the heck out of large city crime and uncertainty. People move here simply because it is a great place to raise a family and instill the values that will carry them through life. Men of integrity can see, feel and taste it!

If that is not enough, in the past Fred has said, “Some people have come here and used this job as a stepping stone but this is where I want to be. I’m really happy here. I’d love to coach here for 20 years.â€￾ This is not just some manufactured love story, the bond between Hoiberg and Iowa State is real! Iowa State has helped sweeten the deal with a 10-year, $20 million deal through 2023. Fred is more than a coach here at ISU. He is family and everyone in the community feels that way. Is it Heaven, no it is Iowa! So, that is close enough for now! Forget the ridiculous conjecture about a move to the Pros!

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Myron Medcalf is dead wrong... Fred is NOT going to the NBA

Leaving ISU at this point in his life and the life of his children would be counterintuitive. Fred and Carol met in high school and attended Iowa State together. His parents had teaching careers with his mom in elementary school and his dad at ISU. They are the parents of four children (Paige, Jack and twins Sam and Charlie). Fred is HOME and there is something about the feeling of being home that no amount of money can buy. As disruptive as moving can be for parents, it is even more traumatic for kids! Fred and Carol deeply love their children. Family considerations require they guide and protect their children. For those who simply don’t get it, growing up here in the heart of Iowa beats the heck out of large city crime and uncertainty. People move here simply because it is a great place to raise a family and instill the values that will carry them through life. Men of integrity can see, feel and taste it!

If that is not enough, in the past Fred has said, “Some people have come here and used this job as a stepping stone but this is where I want to be. I’m really happy here. I’d love to coach here for 20 years.â€￾ This is not just some manufactured love story, the bond between Hoiberg and Iowa State is real! Iowa State has helped sweeten the deal with a 10-year, $20 million deal through 2023. Fred is more than a coach here at ISU. He is family and everyone in the community feels that way. Is it Heaven, no it is Iowa! So, that is close enough for now! Forget the ridiculous conjecture about a move to the Pros!

Reactions: aauummm

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Re: Myron Medcalf is dead wrong... Fred is NOT going to the NBA

I don't know who Myron Medcalf is but he has to be an idiot.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008

How about this for once, Fred Hoiberg is an awesome coach and what he has done here has been fantastic, his name is going to pop up on jobs and people will speculate, but as fans lets enjoy his time as coach for as long as he wants. I hope he is here long term but if a prestigious nba job comes calling and he wants it, I'll be disappointed but will also understand because it's his life and it's not like he owes us as fans. He's gotten ISU on track and is building us for success long term. If he does leave, he won't do it unless he knows Iowa state will be fine and has the right guy coming in. Go cyclones!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

I've never understood why people think the NBA is the obvious next step for a really good college coach. Why hasn't Coach K gone to the NBA? Izzo? Self? Boeheim? Williams? Why didn't Bob Knight go "pro"? Did Dean Smith feel the need to take the "next step"? Gee, maybe it's not a better gig than college? Look at what happened to Pitino and Tim Floyd. Hoiberg isn't going anywhere.

WDMCyclone

Feb 5, 2013
WDM/Ames, Iowa

I love Freddy more than anything and hope he stays forever but who are we to say what he wants to do with his life and his career? It's unfair of us to bash on an ESPN reporter for his opinion when our opinion is just as good as his. We don't know what's going on in Dreamy Freddy's head so let's just enjoy the moment with him as our coach. I DO THINK he will be here for a long long time, but it isn't that far fetched that his final goal in his career is an NBA job before retirement. We don't need to worry at all people, just stressing yourselves out for nothing. I want the man to do whatever he feels will move his career in the right direction and for him to be successful. So yeah, who cares what Myron thinks. Don't stress over this.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010

Why hasn't Coach K gone to the NBA? Izzo? Self? Boeheim? Williams? Why didn't Bob Knight go "pro"? Did Dean Smith feel the need to take the "next step"?

Perhaps those guys enjoy coaching/molding young men more so than managing egos in the NBA.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

I've never understood why people think the NBA is the obvious next step for a really good college coach. Why hasn't Coach K gone to the NBA? Izzo? Self? Boeheim? Williams? Why didn't Bob Knight go "pro"? Did Dean Smith feel the need to take the "next step"? Gee, maybe it's not a better gig than college? Look at what happened to Pitino and Tim Floyd. Hoiberg isn't going anywhere.

It's not just any coach; it's Fred. He runs an NBA systems and has lots of NBA connections. He is an ideal NBA coach.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Was this an open letter?

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields

People getting a little butt hurt by his opinion. Read a little deeper and he's not saying now, or next year or five years from now necessarily but at some point he thinks he will. I happen to think he's got a chance of being right unfortunately. Wouldn't be surprised and hope he stays forever but guys are wired differently and just because we don't want it to happen we rationalize why it won't. Just enjoy the damn ride and don't worry about it. If he goes he goes and i for one hope he can succeed.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

I'm just curious.....what was the purpose behind another thread on this subject? It would seem to me that this could have simply been a post in the already existing thread, but maybe that is just me.

Did we really need 2 threads with Myron Medcalf in the title when probably 75 to 80 percent of CF don't have a clue who he is?

Last edited:

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012

I really hope that this is the last Myron Medcalf thread ever on CF.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields

I'm just curious.....what was the purpose behind another thread on this subject? It would seem to me that this could have simply been a post in the already existing thread, but maybe that is just me.

You must be new here

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron