Myron Medcalf all but certain Fred is going to the NBA

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How old are Fred's children?

I don't see him leaving Ames until his children are grown up and gone. At that point, if he feels he's accomplished everything he set out to accomplish at ISU, then I think he could jump to the NBA just to give himself another challenge.

But I don't see him leaving until his children are out of school AND he's won a Big 12 title and taken us at least to the Elite 8 or better. I think he's very happy here.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
His twin boys are 11 or 12 I think? And go to my old school, Gilbert! Can't believe that first of all. And, I hear the twins can shoot the lights out of the ball. No surprise there. Yea I don't see the Mayor packing up the kids any time soon.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I think Fred tweeted a few months ago about the twins turning 10. So they're pretty young still.

It's pretty obvious how much they love basketball too. How amazing would it be if both grew up to be D1 caliber players and decided to play at ISU? You gotta think Fred would stay there to coach them.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I just don't see Fred leaving that soon. He is an excellent coach, but I think he would also be the first to tell you he is still learning how to be a coach. I think he may one day want to coach in the NBA, but not until he has proven, most importantly to himself, that he is capable of succeeding there.

I think the pressure will always be there from the NBA teams, and will increase if Fred increases his success here with ISU. That is the conundrum for ISU fans....of course we want him to succeed, but we are always going to be worrying that the more success he has, the closer he is to the NBA. Tough.....we just have to deal with that and enjoy the time that he is here, whether that is one year, 5, 10, whatever. It probably would be a good thing to have one off year.....but none of us want that, do we? So, deal with it, enjoy the teams he brings us, and please stop starting threads about this, especially after significant wins.

Going from college to the pros has rarely worked out. The current experiment in this is Stevens with the Celtics. If, or as he succeeds the pressure will probably increase on Hoiberg. But the move has failed more than it has worked in the past. Ask Rick Pitino, Mike Dunlap, Reggie Theus, Tim Floyd, Mike Montgomery, Lon Kruger or Leonard Hamilton about their NBA success. Those are the most recent examples of coaches who made the jump.

I just don't see it happening with Fred any time soon. He's too smart for that, and frankly (I hope) too loyal for that, imo.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Is there a way to keep threads like this off this board? If future recruits like Vaughn even think Fred might bolt, they are very unlikely to commit to ISU. I understand these type rumors are going to be out there for the world to see, but short of just flat shooting them down we don't need this at the top of the board. I know I just added to it... sorry just thought it needed to be said.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Fred makes coaching so easy he's going to coach both ISU and an NBA team simultaneously.

Just needs to lure one to Ames.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Metcalf is talking out of his *** and the OP is an idiot for posting.

Really? Classy guy. As others have posted on here, Myron has wrote in depth stories on Fred before. How do you know what he knows and doesn't? Only person talking out of their *** is you.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Is there a way to keep threads like this off this board? If future recruits like Vaughn even think Fred might bolt, they are very unlikely to commit to ISU. I understand these type rumors are going to be out there for the world to see, but short of just flat shooting them down we don't need this at the top of the board. I know I just added to it... sorry just thought it needed to be said.

iWKad22.jpg

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Really? Classy guy. As others have posted on here, Myron has wrote in depth stories on Fred before. How do you know what he knows and doesn't? Only person talking out of their *** is you.

Here are a few factoids for reflection.

1) He who restrains his lips is wise. Listening to or participating in gossip robs us of valuable time. Only God knows what is in a person’s heart, but this thread has had more than its share of fear driven conjecture and comments. So, as much as I hate to further the thread, it seems a few additional considerations are in order.
2) A number of NBA general managers already believe there is no question that Fred Hoiberg is capable of making the move to an NBA coaching job any time he would chose to do so. However, any offer would require a long-term commitment from an NBA team since Fred could stay at Iowa State as long as he wishes. NBA general managers need to cover themselves in making such commitments. The longer Fred stays at Iowa State building his resume and credentials, the move comfortable an NBA general manager would be with making such a commitment and the more money they could offer. Allowing time for the twins graduate from high school would only serve to build his resume and initial offer if he eventually decides to make a move.
3) As it relates to recruiting, you have to ask why would any truly great prospective player would wish to play on a team whose coach was not held in such high regard by the NBA general managers?
4) From the perspective of current NBA general managers any highly talented basketball player in the country would greatly increase their stock and future prospects by joining Fred’s program at Iowa State University today, tomorrow or at any point in the future. Fred’s keen NBA basketball acumen, style of play, and player empowerment maximizes a players potential creating a high powered pipeline to the next level and NBA success.
5) Reliable sources suggest that at least two GMs have attempted to feel out Fred's interest in an NBA coaching position, but it is said he turned them down. This is not to say he will never make the move, but there are other considerations. Fred and Carol have four children which they deeply love and as disruptive as moving can be for parents, it is even more traumatic for kids.
6) At the end of one’s life it is important to consider the legacy one builds is not found in their career alone, but in the formation of a lasting family foundational relationships and values that transcend career aspirations alone. Fred and Carol met in high school and attended Iowa State together. His parents had teaching careers with his mom in elementary school and his dad at ISU. For those who simply don’t get it, growing up here in the heart of Iowa beats the heck out of large city crime and uncertainty. People move here simply because it is a great place to raise a family and instill the values that will carry them through life. Men of integrity can see, feel and taste it!
7) If that is not enough, in the past Fred has said, “Some people have come here and used this job as a stepping stone but this is where I want to be. I’m really happy here. I’d love to coach here for 20 years.” This is not just some manufactured love story, the bond between Hoiberg and Iowa State is real! Iowa State has helped sweeten the pot with a 10-year, $20 million deal through 2023. That is about a 41% increase.
8) Fred is more than a coach here at ISU. He is family and everyone in the community feels that way. Is it Heaven, no it is Iowa! That is good enough for now! So, let’s forget the ridiculous conjecture about a move to the pros.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I have a hard time keeping up with all the coaches that have used this job as a stepping stone.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA

1) He who restrains his lips is wise. Listening to or participating in gossip robs us of valuable time. Only God knows what is in a person’s heart, but this thread has had more than its share of fear driven conjecture and comments. So, as much as I hate to further the thread, it seems a few additional considerations are in order.
2) A number of NBA general managers already believe there is no question that Fred Hoiberg is capable of making the move to an NBA coaching job any time he would chose to do so. However, any offer would require a long-term commitment from an NBA team since Fred could stay at Iowa State as long as he wishes. NBA general managers need to cover themselves in making such commitments. The longer Fred stays at Iowa State building his resume and credentials, the move comfortable an NBA general manager would be with making such a commitment and the more money they could offer. Allowing time for the twins graduate from high school would only serve to build his resume and initial offer if he eventually decides to make a move.
3) As it relates to recruiting, you have to ask why would any truly great prospective player would wish to play on a team whose coach was not held in such high regard by the NBA general managers?
4) From the perspective of current NBA general managers any highly talented basketball player in the country would greatly increase their stock and future prospects by joining Fred’s program at Iowa State University today, tomorrow or at any point in the future. Fred’s keen NBA basketball acumen, style of play, and player empowerment maximizes a players potential creating a high powered pipeline to the next level and NBA success.
5) Reliable sources suggest that at least two GMs have attempted to feel out Fred's interest in an NBA coaching position, but it is said he turned them down. This is not to say he will never make the move, but there are other considerations. Fred and Carol have four children which they deeply love and as disruptive as moving can be for parents, it is even more traumatic for kids.
6) At the end of one’s life it is important to consider the legacy one builds is not found in their career alone, but in the formation of a lasting family foundational relationships and values that transcend career aspirations alone. Fred and Carol met in high school and attended Iowa State together. His parents had teaching careers with his mom in elementary school and his dad at ISU. For those who simply don’t get it, growing up here in the heart of Iowa beats the heck out of large city crime and uncertainty. People move here simply because it is a great place to raise a family and instill the values that will carry them through life. Men of integrity can see, feel and taste it!
7) If that is not enough, in the past Fred has said, “Some people have come here and used this job as a stepping stone but this is where I want to be. I’m really happy here. I’d love to coach here for 20 years.” This is not just some manufactured love story, the bond between Hoiberg and Iowa State is real! Iowa State has helped sweeten the pot with a 10-year, $20 million deal through 2023. That is about a 41% increase.
8) Fred is more than a coach here at ISU. He is family and everyone in the community feels that way. Is it Heaven, no it is Iowa! That is good enough for now! So, let’s forget the ridiculous conjecture about a move to the pros.

Kind of funny that this post started with "he who restrains his lips is wise"...

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

7) If that is not enough, in the past Fred has said, “Some people have come here and used this job as a stepping stone but this is where I want to be. I’m really happy here. I’d love to coach here for 20 years.†This is not just some manufactured love story, the bond between Hoiberg and Iowa State is real! Iowa State has helped sweeten the pot with a 10-year, $20 million deal through 2023. That is about a 41% increase.

I'm speechless.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Kind of funny that this post started with "he who restrains his lips is wise"...

Plus everything he said is just total fan speak.

I never said Fred was leaving, and obviously I don't want him to, but some of you are so blind to reality and the big picture, you could face a bad, bad day if he leaves.