Myron Medcalf all but certain Fred is going to the NBA

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
When we win the NCAA and ten years from now, I will worry. Keeping competition high in B12 will help build championship teams.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Coach K was able to satisfy his NBA urge by coaching the US team. I would love to see Fred possibly get involved with this, with Coach K and Boeheim both about ready to step down from the program Fred could be a prime candidate to get heavily involved and it would be great exposure for ISU.

Wow, I actually agree with this. +1

You would think that a coach that is so heavily influenced by the league, he would have to be one of the candidates in the future for at least assistant jobs on Team USA Basketball

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm not a huge fan of Metcalf and his tweets because he talks like he's the **** and is a know it all.

But then again, so does Hassel. And I like that guy. Or, I used to, until he became famous and started posting his weird love fest for Iowa. He might be a bigger homer then Jon Miller.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I'm not a huge fan of Metcalf and his tweets because he talks like he's the **** and is a know it all.

But then again, so does Hassel. And I like that guy. Or, I used to, until he became famous and started posting his weird love fest for Iowa. He might be a bigger homer then Jon Miller.

I'd forgive Hassel...in the Des Moines market, it is best to lean neutral and be a fan of all Iowa teams. He did a pretty good job in that aspect. When you go national, I'd imagine you then have room to defend your own personal rooting interest.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Huh? I can't understand anything you wrote. Are you saying Myron is working for Pitino? LOL
"Hey Rashad(or any Minnesota recruit)......are you certain you want to go to ISU? Fred is a good guy and I know you have a very good relationship with him....but Myron Metcalf of ESPN from Minneapolis has talked with him and is certain he is going to the NBA. Are you sure you want to commit to a program where the coaching situation may not be what you think?"

Does that help? Because if it doesn't.......nothing will.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
When you go national, I'd imagine you then have room to defend your own personal rooting interest.

He's the biggest homer of any ESPN personality that I have seen. The rest of them are actually professional and for the most part keep their rooting interests out of their communications (Twitter, etc.). Hassel seems to think that becoming a national reporter gives him carte blanche to put on black and gold every day. Very unprofessional in my opinion and I have actually lost some respect for him as a reporter since he went to ESPN. I would say the same for an ISU personality as well if they acted the same way.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
He's the biggest homer of any ESPN personality that I have seen. The rest of them are actually professional and for the most part keep their rooting interests out of their communications (Twitter, etc.). Hassel seems to think that becoming a national reporter gives him carte blanche to put on black and gold every day. Very unprofessional in my opinion and I have actually lost some respect for him as a reporter since he went to ESPN. I would say the same for an ISU personality as well if they acted the same way.

If a guy takes a job at ESPN and nobody ever sees him, does he really work there?

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
Personally, I'd say anyone outside of the ISU family right now is BS. Lot of people will probably start throwing **** at walls hoping it comes true because ISU is a team on the rise and they have nothing to do with the BBall elite in the NCAA. If I'm anyone but an ISU fan right now, I'm changing underwear.

It has been a week so it is about time.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

You do realize that last year he was the host of like college basketball scoreboard or something. When an Iowa team was eligible he would make sure to tweet that whichever game had the most RTs it would be shown for highlights. He would do this for Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI. He may like Iowa but he is a good representative for the whole state.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Except for the money, the NBA offers next to nothing unless you're really into flying red-eyes and having the thrill of prima donnas running ISO plays until you can't remember what town you're in.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Except for the money, the NBA offers next to nothing unless you're really into flying red-eyes and having the thrill of prima donnas running ISO plays until you can't remember what town you're in.

Not having to deal with boosters, not having to deal with trying to convince teenagers to come play for you, getting to coach the best basketball players in the world, getting to go head to head with some of the best x and o guys in the world...yeah nothing at all to offer.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not having to deal with boosters, not having to deal with trying to convince teenagers to come play for you, getting to coach the best basketball players in the world, getting to go head to head with some of the best x and o guys in the world...yeah nothing at all to offer.

What if he likes doing that? Plus doesn't he want his kids to go to Ames?

I say we have him until he retires or we fire him

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

Not having to recruit against the dirty, cheating southern teams in the Big 12 too. Not to mention that Fred is a competitor and the highest level of coaching is the NBA.

It's going to happen, and it's going to suck and be hard to stomach but at least we should be a legitimate top 25 program by the time he does leave.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I don't understand how this thread blew up with the debates. Other than Fred's love for ISU, I thought the main thought was that he wanted to raise his family here with his and his wife's family in the area.

ISU or NBA will require a lot of travel. It'll be easier on his family being here with extended family here to help when he travels vs being in Boston, Minnesota, or wherever. Furthermore, he'll be at ISU as long as he wants to, so the kids will have stability with school, activities, and friends whereas the NBA will (most likely) have them moving around from city to city.

Really, the concern of Fred leaving for the NBA should be when his youngest children graduate from Ames High.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

I think he is kind of trying to go the Scott Van Pelt with Marlyand route. Him and Stuart Scott with his North Carolina fandom are the only other guys I can think of who talk about it as much.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
The NBA is a grind though, compared to college. You play more away games in the NBA than you do total games in college, even if you win the national championship. Plus, you have pre-season and playoff games. If you win the championship in the NBA, your team may play as many games in the playoffs and pre-season as a college team does in the regular season. The NBA season goes from October through possibly June, not November to March... 9 months compared to 5. You have a game, and travel on average every other day for up to 9 months.

No, NBA coaches don't have to recruit, but they still have to evaluate college talent, which means at the least watching lots of film, and possibly watching some games in person. Plus, you have to answer to a GM and and owner, not just an AD. I would think the stress factor on a person is higher on an NBA coach than on a college coach.

I think some day Fred will be an NBA coach. IMHO though, it will still be a few years away because I just don't think he wants to make that leap yet, unless he thinks it won't be there later. If he continues to have success at the college level, why make the jump? Continued success at the college level will continue to mean the NBA is there whenever he chooses.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My issue with the NBA if I was a coach is the "love" is given to the players, not the coaches (minus Phil and Pop). College coaches are put on the pedistall.....coach k, izzo, Roy, cal, ect. Money shouldn't be an issue, isu should pay whatever Fred wants. If he can get to final four in te next couple years, he will be seen as the next coach K or Williams.

I have no idea what Fred will do, but I see this same point. NBA coaches are disposable space eaters for the most part with the couple exceptions some have mentioned. Players run the league. They own the league. Building ISU into a national power is a far greater accomplishment than being fortunate enough to be the coach on a team with three max-contract buddies that decide they're going to sign together.