Myron Medcalf all but certain Fred is going to the NBA

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Fred is making 2 million a year, by the way. Not as is being mentioned here 1.6 or 1.8m. That old contract was reworked after last year. If the second half of this season goes as well as the first, I am sure another raise will be given.

We'll continue to offer him a salary that is competitive in the Big 12. But sooner or later an NBA team will come and offer him 5 million + a year. And we have no idea how he may respond to that.

We can speculate that he has enough money, and he will build a legacy in Ames, that he loves Ames, that his family loves Ames, that he is too loyal to Ames, that he ought to be grateful to us because we gave him a chance to coach even though he had no coaching experience.

We can speculate that Fred wants bigger challenges than coaching at the college level, that money is never enough, and that he would want to even further solidify the financial security of his grand children.

But ultimately none of has any idea what Fred is thinking (just like none of us have any idea what Rashad Vaughn is thinking).

This is the part that I don't think most normal people understand. Especially the 9 to 5ers, which includes me. And more than the money, it would be the challenge. Top level coaches are top level coaches for a reason. It's not because they like coming home at night, shutting off their job and just relaxing with the family. It's definitely not those who are concerned about vacation time and when they get their break from the daily grind.

I definitely like to speculate about how a coach might think and weather or not money is enough, but for some, it's about the competition. They aren't happy unless they are out there trying to prove everyone wrong. I think there is something a little off about top level coaches. Succeeding is not just a desire, it probably consumes their whole being. I think that's what makes it so hard for the average fan to really comprehend why a coach might leave. Usually, it isn't just about the money, most of them have plenty of money. It's that next step, that next challenge that lures them.

I can really only hope Fred has no ambitions other than making ISU a powerhouse program.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Thread could have been stopped with this. Who is recruiting the heck out of that area? What is best way to put doubt in said recruits mind? Answers.....CFH and he won't be there long. Please....little Pitino wants to rid that area of any and all competion for players. What better way than to put a little bug in every recruits ear about a certain coach who will not be long for his program.

Huh? I can't understand anything you wrote. Are you saying Myron is working for Pitino? LOL

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
All I can say is there are a few people in here who see reality, and there are more than a few people here who are so blind, and just pat each other on the back. You're going to be massively hurt someday with that attitude.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I have little doubt there are handfuls of people that make mistakes in the professional world, especially at the lower levels. For example, people like you comparing your 9-to5 to elite head coaches.

No one is paying as a reward for what they have done. You are falling victim of cause vs correlation. At that level salaries are about demand. People with accomplishments are paid more because of the increase in demand that comes with the belief that those accomplishments reduce the uncertainty of future performance. Having more past accomplishments are neither a requisite nor sufficient in determine one's market value in regards to another. In the case of coaches, and athletes more so, demand and pay are based on what that person is to believed to be able to do, not what they have done.

How do you think potential is calculated and figured out? A psychic? There is truth in that - absolutely potential is figured into these things. However, where you're wrong is assuming that your past experience and successes have absolutely no bearing on that thought of potential. Potential is a formula of the recent past - you can't just pick someone off the street without much any knowledge of them and just assume they're going to do a good job at whatever. Coaches get hired because of their prior resumes just like people in the regular professional and executive world do. No team in a decent conference is taking a coach who went 14-16 every year and missed tournaments. They are all taking the coach who turned some crappy team around and got them to the NCAA tournament. They are going off of potential because that coach has already proven himself with lower talent with prior experience. I seriously dare you to find more than five coaches recently hired into teams in decent conferences who never led their team to the post season (McDermott is an exception and they took him because he already proved himself at UNI, who was in the same conference as Creighton).

Also, I never meant that it's 100% the same factors. However, there are obvious similarities between the two when you're trying to figure out a salary, and part of that is comparison unless the person is an absolute trend setter and in the top 2% of achievers and you *have* to pay them well above the average because not many people are at their level.

I know we all think the world of Fred - I know I do. He's done an absolutely amazing job, but he's merely not in top 10 salary land yet until we go just a little further in the tournament. I seriously hope by the end of this season I am wrong, and I think it's possible for sure.

There's also absolutely no question Hoiberg will be coaching in the NBA some day, and I don't think that's going to be really soon. When you really think about it, it's a special case and anybody who thinks otherwise is frankly blind IMO. Is he a really talented coach who wants more and is not just sitting at home all night? Absolutely, but let's remember again this is the guy's dream job for a team he not only grew up being a huge fan of, but also playing for. This is not a random coach we got from Hofstra who grew up in NYC and played for St. John's. Hoiberg essentially has almost 40 years of emotional investment in ISU and while money is certainly a draw to other places, it's not like he's getting paid peanuts. He's still one of the top paid coaches in basketball.

Last edited:

Spam

May 21, 2008
All I can say is there are a few people in here who see reality, and there are more than a few people here who are so blind, and just pat each other on the back. You're going to be massively hurt someday with that attitude.

Cyclone nation probably overdoes the bond between ISU-Ames-Fred a bit. But at the same time, several in the media seem not to understand the relationship either.

We are all clueless (fans, media etc), but I side with those that think that reality will lie somewhere in between- Fred will leave, not as soon as the media might predict, and not never as some at ISU might want to believe.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I would also put Cydkar in the category of people who don't know what they are thinking.

:pwink:

but the statement is accurate. We can spitball 100 reasons Fred would stay and 100 he would leave, but the worst part of it is that while once he leaves, talk of him staying stops, but staying just makes the leaving talk continue on.

It's clear that you've met me. :smile:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Cyclone nation probably overdoes the bond between ISU-Ames-Fred a bit. But at the same time, several in the media seem not to understand the relationship either.

We are all clueless (fans, media etc), but I side with those that think that reality will lie somewhere in between- Fred will leave, not as soon as the media might predict, and not never as some at ISU might want to believe.

I agree with this. The media has no clue about it as they don't think about it like that. Hoiberg has almsot 40 years of emotional investment in ISU when you really think about it. If the internet existed back then in the same capacity as it does today, I bet you Hoiberg would probably be on this forum every once in awhile. It's a special case, which in our case is just really good.

However it's true that once he achieves the level of success he wants here, he'll probably want to go to the next level. I don't see that happening in the next 3-4 years though.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
You think he couldn't find his way back into management if he wanted? I think we all know why he left the NBA at this point, its not some secret.
Not sure I follow. I have no doubt he could get into management if he wanted. I'm saying, if NBA GM was his end game, why go to college bball when he's already in a NBA front office?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

And then there are the people who know Fred...

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Analysts have noticed that Hoiball is probably the best system in college basketball to prepare payers for the NBA. I'm not convinced that means Fred will be leaving Ames any time in the near future. But if the best recruits in America are realizing this as well (I'm looking at you here, RV) then we are in for one hell of a fun ride.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
This is the part that I don't think most normal people understand. Especially the 9 to 5ers, which includes me. And more than the money, it would be the challenge. Top level coaches are top level coaches for a reason. It's not because they like coming home at night, shutting off their job and just relaxing with the family. It's definitely not those who are concerned about vacation time and when they get their break from the daily grind.

I definitely like to speculate about how a coach might think and weather or not money is enough, but for some, it's about the competition. They aren't happy unless they are out there trying to prove everyone wrong. I think there is something a little off about top level coaches. Succeeding is not just a desire, it probably consumes their whole being. I think that's what makes it so hard for the average fan to really comprehend why a coach might leave. Usually, it isn't just about the money, most of them have plenty of money. It's that next step, that next challenge that lures them.

I can really only hope Fred has no ambitions other than making ISU a powerhouse program.

This guy gets it. It's why Coach K has been close to taking an NBA job on more than one occasion, why Billy Donovan took the Magic job, why Izzo has seriously entertained multiple NBA offers, even though these guys have everything they could want at their current job there is a part of them that wants to prove they can do it at the absolute highest level. But in all three examples those guys have chosen to stay at their school, I think Fred will stay here for a long time too, but I'm sure the NBA will tempt him from time to time.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

What are you talking about?

I think everyone thinks that Fred will probably want to challenge himself at the highest level. I would not think that he would leave for a college job, beacause I think he has the only college job he wants.

But of course there will come a time when he will look at the NBA.

I think he is happy. He's home, with a great family support structure in place. I remember he took his oldest with him to Virginia his first year, so family is obviously important to him.

While all of us would love for him to stay for 20 years and be Iowa State's Coach K, but the reality is that at some point his natural competitiveness will make him consider moving to the league.

I think that is the sentiment. But people still remember Floyd getting his *** handed to him in Chicago, so why do that to yourself when you don't have to.

Remember LE was the one of the, if not the, first to make a million bucks a year as a college basketball coach. He did that at Iowa State. You can get paid here. It is a great job, and will be coveted if and when Fred leaves

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
What are you talking about?

I think everyone thinks that Fred will probably want to challenge himself at the highest level. I would not think that he would leave for a college job, beacause I think he has the only college job he wants.

But of course there will come a time when he will look at the NBA.

I think he is happy. He's home, with a great family support structure in place. I remember he took his oldest with him to Virginia his first year, so family is obviously important to him.

While all of us would love for him to stay for 20 years and be Iowa State's Coach K, but the reality is that at some point his natural competitiveness will make him consider moving to the league.

I think that is the sentiment. But people still remember Floyd getting his *** handed to him in Chicago, so why do that to yourself when you don't have to.

Remember LE was the one of the, if not the, first to make a million bucks a year as a college basketball coach. He did that at Iowa State. You can get paid here. It is a great job, and will be coveted if and when Fred leaves

Coach K was able to satisfy his NBA urge by coaching the US team. I would love to see Fred possibly get involved with this, with Coach K and Boeheim both about ready to step down from the program Fred could be a prime candidate to get heavily involved and it would be great exposure for ISU.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Coach K was able to satisfy his NBA urge by coaching the US team. I would love to see Fred possibly get involved with this, with Coach K and Boeheim both about ready to step down from the program Fred could be a prime candidate to get heavily involved and it would be great exposure for ISU.
With young kids, he may be less likely for next three years to want to travel more.....

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Analysts have noticed that Hoiball is probably the best system in college basketball to prepare payers for the NBA. I'm not convinced that means Fred will be leaving Ames any time in the near future. But if the best recruits in America are realizing this as well (I'm looking at you here, RV) then we are in for one hell of a fun ride.
All I know is last five minutes of game we go pro offense for sure. We lock down defense, we space, we pass, we control, we go beast mode.

The stats for scoring in last five minutes would be interesting, CW.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
He's going to coach in the NBA, I have no doubt about that. Who knows when.

However, he won't leave here unless this place is in a good situation and knows he is going to put it in good hands. I'm sure whoever he wants to come here and replace him will get the job.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
He's going to coach in the NBA, I have no doubt about that. Who knows when.

However, he won't leave here unless this place is in a good situation and knows he is going to put it in good hands. I'm sure whoever he wants to come here and replace him will get the job.

This is correct. Fred will coach in the NBA someday.

Enjoy the ride.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I think Fred took the ISU job partially because he really wanted to see ISU get back to some position of relevance in Division I basketball. I doubt that was the only reason. I also think that moving back to Ames, around his entire family, raising his kids here, etc. also had a lot to do with it. I also think he wanted to take a shot at coaching, and saw this as the perfect opportunity for him. Who the hell was going to fire Fred in Ames, unless he really seriously messed up or was not capable of doing the job? Frankly, I think if after 4 years Fred was a screw-up as a coach, and the program was going downhill, he would probably resign and go back to the NBA in management or as an assistant coach of some sort. It was the perfect situation for him.

As it turns out, he is a hell of a coach. He is doing things his own way, and he appears to be very good at it. He loves Ames, loves being around both sets of grandparents, loves raising his kids in this town. Plus, on top of all that, he is making the ISU MBB program more than relevant again. The only question is, how far does he want to take it, and only Fred can answer that. My hope would be that he wants to leave the program in a strong enough position that whoever takes over after he leaves will have continued success, like Williams following Smith at UNC.

I'm pretty sure that Fred would like to take a shot at coaching in the NBA. Why wouldn't he? I think the only question is when he will feel comfortable doing that. Fred gives me the impression that he is not going to do something if he is likely to fail at it, so he may want to coach college a few more years, or maybe at some point sooner than we want, he might feel he is ready to make the jump.

Best thing for all of us to do is enjoy it while he is here, and realize it is not likely to last 20 years.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

Agreed, but looking at his tweets, seems like another ESPN guy who speculates that Fred would obviously head to the NBA very soon when there is far more evidence that he will be here a while longer. I am sure Fred has shown interest in coaching NBA because who wouldn't. But almost accomplishing some things at ISU doesn't seem like the legacy he wants to leave here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron