Garrett Careless in the Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Riiiiigggghttt uh huh...yeah:confused:

Exactly. No matter what he does there, message board geeks will bag on him.

Brackins was the least clutch player in ISU history, yet people seemed to forget that. But lets all pile on DG for stuff.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Riiiiigggghttt uh huh...yeah:confused:

I've never said anything to the contrary. I don't have an issue with DG shooting, I don't have any problem with DG dribbling out the clock on the previous possessions. My complaint was, and always been, that THERE WAS NO SHOT at the end. I don't know how many times we have to pound that into your heads before you realize that no one on here is arguing that DG is a bad player or shouldn't be running the point.

In that SPECIFIC situation, I'll take any player on the team (including DG) who is disciplined enough to hold onto the ball for 4 seconds and get their best shot with no time left. That's all I'm saying. I still love what DG did for us the rest of the game and I don't put this loss on him at all.

I'm sorry, but if you think losing a tie game in regulation, when you have the ball and <7 seconds on the clock, is satisfactory we will have to agree to disagree.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The dude has laser eyes & locks on to whatever teammate he's throwing the ball too. And he throws way to many passes behind guys. Is it too much to ask him to hit guys in the chest with his passes? We need a point guard who completes at least 75% of his passes before this offense is going to be any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VeloClone

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Exactly. No matter what he does there, message board geeks will bag on him.

Brackins was the least clutch player in ISU history, yet people seemed to forget that. But lets all pile on DG for stuff.

Wow, way to throw a guy who gave us an extra year under the bus for no reason. People never bagged on Brackins? PLEASE. Here's one of these :confused: for that outrageous comment.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not "bagging" on DG. I'm just taking the opportunity to discuss what was, by any definition, a complete end of game meltdown with fellow Cyclone fans on an internet message board. If this isn't the place for that, then please direct me to the proper outlet.

Yes, there was plenty of blame to go around. JVB couldn't go two minutes without picking up his 4th and 5th foul, CFH called the timeout and drew up the play, DG turned the ball over, and Ejim "fouled" the player who bricked the layup. Happy?

It was a disaster to lose a game we had in control. It was a monumental effort to come back and take the lead, but do we really want to start trumpeting moral victories? Isn't that for the University to the East?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
My Nebby friends were impressed with DG. They had no one like him and they said he was fast.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
In the four seasons prior to this one, NU is 70-57 and has been to the NIT twice. ISU is 59-68 has not been to post season play. It is not unreasonable claim that NU presently has a better basketball program than ISU.

Damn, that is one sad and troubling statistic.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
The fact is that Diante has struggled in the clutch for most of his career.\

Heft even made a comment to that effect when discussing Jake before the Northern Illinois game.

However, this staff is at the mercy of what they were left, and Diante has been given the reins to run the team. That is fine with me, because this isn't about this season. It is a process, and since basketball is a guards game, I would think that we would want to show the point guards that we are recruiting that they will be allowed to make plays.

Regardless it is still better than watching Shrek try to be the point guard from the bench.

There are 8 players on this roster. It isn't going to be pretty over the next few games. Get over it. This is the first year of this staff. I hate that about what I see from the reactionaries on here.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The dude has laser eyes & locks on to whatever teammate he's throwing the ball too. And he throws way to many passes behind guys. Is it too much to ask him to hit guys in the chest with his passes? We need a point guard who completes at least 75% of his passes before this offense is going to be any good.

I call ******** on this. You don't lead the league in assists by doing that. You lead the league in TO's.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I call ******** on this. You don't lead the league in assists by doing that. You lead the league in TO's.

You missed the joke. It was subtle. If not a joke then you are correct. Think AA threads.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

This post is an awesome use of sarcasm. I give you two thumbs up.

I also have a question-WHen did Craig ever do anything in the clutch. I mean, I liked Craig and all but a lot of times he disappeared. Why didn't we look deeper into that. DG has doen plenty of good things in clutch situations if you look hard enough. I guess, though, if you don't want to look you won't find them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

You missed the joke. It was subtle. If not a joke then you are correct. Think AA threads.

What Cydkar said.

I'm pretty sure that was a flashback to posts about Arnaud, which was kind of that guy's idea.

Sorry guys. You are right. There is so much hyperbole on here it is sometimes difficult to tell when someone is saying something ridiculously stupid or they are making fun of the ones who say things ridiculously stupid. This one was pretty obvious and I shouldn't have missed it.

I will go sit in the corner with my dunce hat on now...

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
In the four seasons prior to this one, NU is 70-57 and has been to the NIT twice. ISU is 59-68 has not been to post season play. It is not unreasonable claim that NU presently has a better basketball program than ISU.

Damn, that is one sad and troubling statistic.

Many under estimate the Nebraska basketball program for several reasons - lack of NCAA wins, poor attendance, Barry Collier bad hire coupled with the end of the Danny Nee regime, roster overhaul needed for Doc Sadler's system.

The hard truth is that Nebraska has had some very solid coaches over the years and holds a 130-102 all-time win advantage over Iowa State. Sadler can coach and will bring in better talent when their new arena and practice facility opens. I'm not unhappy that they are moving on to the Big 10 as games in Lincoln will continue to be a struggle.

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
Many under estimate the Nebraska basketball program for several reasons - lack of NCAA wins, poor attendance, Barry Collier bad hire coupled with the end of the Danny Nee regime, roster overhaul needed for Doc Sadler's system.

The hard truth is that Nebraska has had some very solid coaches over the years and holds a 130-102 all-time win advantage over Iowa State. Sadler can coach and will bring in better talent when their new arena and practice facility opens. I'm not unhappy that they are moving on to the Big 10 as games in Lincoln will continue to be a struggle.

With only 7 scholarship players, top 3 point shooter with a sore shooting arm, a roster with only 3 players returning from last years squad, 2 football players on the bench and a first year head coach; Nebraska gets a lucky 1 point win at home. Sadler almost got schooled by a rookie coach and his makeshift squad.

The future is much brighter for Cyclone Basketball... :yes:

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
Regardless of if we would have been in that situation without DG or not the fact the OP made remains, when in the clutch we FAIL. I don't pin it all on DG but close games we need to game plan and execute better that's all there is to it. This team plays too hard to let it slip away at the end.

What about the Creighton game? Did we fail in the clutch? What about the Iowa game? What about Virginia? Glass half empty life must suck.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
anyone that says the DG is not good in the clutch probably fails to remember the kstate game last year

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Something that seems counterintuitive, but somehow makes sense — I'm thinking Diante must be doing something right, because I b**ch about him just about every game ... sometimes two minutes after I see him do something I really like.

I thought he was about to singlehandedly lose the Iowa game. I hold my breath when he shoots contested 3-pointers. I fume when he dribbles into traffic and falls down.

I also love his high-off-the-glass layups, dig some of his moves on the break, hated when he was stuck on the bench w/ foul trouble vs. Nebraska.

If it wasn't for his commitment to the program through such thin years, I'd trade him for a more talented PG in 2 seconds — but at least half of me wishes he had another year in the current system. He's like a promising 4th-year junior at this point.

I'd rather feel passionate about his contribution and shortcomings than apathetic about it.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
DG is vital to the team because he's able to penetrate and dish to open players. Sometimes no one is open and he has to take the shot. Yeah sometimes he blows it too. But Hoibergs system relies on DG. When he was out with 3 fouls in the 1st half at NU we really didn't look good at all.

When Drake was good 2 years back it was because of Adam Emmenecker's penetration a la Steve Nash. Emmenecker wasn't much of a scoring threat either but he did win Missouri Valley player of the year.

It wasn't that long ago that Bryan Peterson was point guard and couldn't penetrate at all. In fact against Kansas he could hardly get the ball past half court as their guards were just waiting for him and taking him off the dribble every time. And to think that he started every game. That proved to me that McDermott was not a good coach.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looking for whom on the team to replace the role of DG at the end of the game? Jake? He is shorter in a crowd? Bubu? He is fast but not a shooter? Scotty? He is injured pn his shooting arm. JVB? He needs someone to set him up. Edge? He is not quite there yet. Godfrey? The same. DG is our main pivot point and all end of games will probably go through him. If we were a more powerful team, we might not be in so many close games. We need to accept the situation.

IowaCYcler

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
North Liberty
Iowa State and Northern Iowa were tied at 52 with 1:18 to play before the Panthers won 60-54. Diante Garrett had a turnover and three missed 3-point shots after the tie. Melvin Ejim and Bubu Palo committed fouls.
It was 69-all with 47 seconds left against California before the Bears won 76-73. What followed for the Cyclones included a Garrett turnover, and three missed shots by Ejim.
Saturday at Nebraska, Iowa State led 62-61 with 1:10 to play before losing 63-62 when Lance Jeter made the second of a two-free throw situation with .4 to play. What followed? Ejim missed a shot and Garrett committed a turnover. But before that, the Cornhuskers raced to a 12-4 lead and the Cyclones didn’t score after leading 62-58 with 3:40 left.

Again Garrett showed his carelessness last night agaisnt KU. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.