Cyclones.tv to televise two football games this fall

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
ESPN will likely play hardball with the likes of DirecTV and package the new SEC Network with LHN. Can't have one without the other.

Dish Network has an agreement to add the SEC network and it already has the Longhorn Network on.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
As a loyal Dish subscriber, I've been overjoyed by the increase in sports programming the last 6 months especially access to WatchESPN. I was also happy to see SEC Network and Longhorn Network added.

Having said all that, DirecTV's opinion on the issue is correct. Two UT football games do not constitute a network. I'd actually say Cyclones.TV is more attractive than the Longhorn Network to each one's respective fanbase. Do Longhorn fans actually care about anything besides football?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
A quote from Directv regarding LHN. Love the bolded part haha

When asked whether they'll carry the channel, DirecTV issued the following statement: "We've had discussions with ESPN about Longhorn Network, but we have no plans right now to carry it. We understand Longhorn has other programming that may be of value to a small segment of our customers, but two UT football games do not constitute a network. We're happy to carry those two games under the considerable fees we already pay ESPN for programming that includes the Big 12. Given the dynamic situation in college football conferences today, we'll wait and see how it all shakes out before we decide what we will or won't carry." [SUP][4][/SUP]

Good for them. Sounds like ESPN wants more money for this network and Direct told them where to shove it.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
So the future of ISU Texas games is as follows:

Every other year, not on tv. Because the league is all about equals and all.

And Pollard issues a press release claiming how he got a great tv deal for in-state fans to watch the game. The rest of you, please pay Texas and ESPN to watch the game if you'd like to. It'll keep the league on equal footing and all.

Better to save the press release for when Texas plays at ISU it will be exclusively on cyclones.tv and Texas fans outside of Texas can only watch the game on cyclones.tv.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So I thought all conference games were to be shown nationally with the new TV contract. Why would moving from that spot to the LHN grow our brand? ISU still has the power to veto so unfortunately I'm putting this one on the ISU administration for not stepping up.

And I like the comment above about putting the Texas game on cyclones.tv next year. I assume that there must be a clause to let us do that if Texas is.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think this is a good thing, hopefully sell some additional Cyclones.TV subscriptions.

My only issue is that they won't let out of state online subscribers watch, that sucks. Maybe JP can come to some kind of compromise regarding this.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think this is a good thing, hopefully sell some additional Cyclones.TV subscriptions.

My only issue is that they won't let out of state online subscribers watch, that sucks. Maybe JP can come to some kind of compromise regarding this.

I'm assuming that compromise was already attempted and failed. I totally under stand the whole notion of "don't bite the hand that feeds you" but its doesn't mean fans cant be frustrated with the LHN.

CW said it best on Miller and Brinson yesterday, ESPN missed the boat here by creating a network that is only Longhorns instead of a conference network.

I don't know the ins and outs of the contract between ESPN and Texas, but it would be nice to take it back to the drawing board and see if you can work something out. Even if you said Texas is guaranteed to have 50% of the programming, the other 9 schools get to split the other 50%, and we'll call it the Big 12 Network, that would be a step forward, IMO.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm assuming that compromise was already attempted and failed. I totally under stand the whole notion of "don't bite the hand that feeds you" but its doesn't mean fans cant be frustrated with the LHN.

CW said it best on Miller and Brinson yesterday, ESPN missed the boat here by creating a network that is only Longhorns instead of a conference network.

I don't know the ins and outs of the contract between ESPN and Texas, but it would be nice to take it back to the drawing board and see if you can work something out. Even if you said Texas is guaranteed to have 50% of the programming, the other 9 schools get to split the other 50%, and we'll call it the Big 12 Network, that would be a step forward, IMO.

IMO, the long term vision for Texas was independence, and showing all its home games on the LHN.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
13 miles... distance that keeps me from watching the Tejas game.

You don't have a sports bar within 13 miles? Ouch...

Seriously, am I missing something? Is there a BWW type place in the country that can't have access to LHN?

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
Is there anything cyclone fans don't ***** about? JFC, if you get so angry because you can't see 1 football game, try therapy.

I fail to see how this isnt worthy of complaining.

I will agree that clone fans are horrible whiners. Its embarrassing to watch all of the booing over EVERY SINGLE CALL at a BB game

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I live in Omaha. Does anyone know if I drive over to Iowa and log on a computer there, will it allow me access to the Texas game or will it block me because my subscription has my Nebr address?

I haven't tested it with cyclones.tv, but generally regional blackouts are determined by your ip. So, in theory, if you drove to a Starbucks or something in Council Bluffs you should be able to stream the cyclones.tv broadcast on your computer.

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
JPs comment pisses mr off.

He said something like

"if $10 to watch the game is too much then maybe cyclone football isnt that important to you"

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I fail to see how this isnt worthy of complaining.

I will agree that clone fans are horrible whiners. Its embarrassing to watch all of the booing over EVERY SINGLE CALL at a BB game

He said something like

"if $10 to watch the game is too much then maybe cyclone football isnt that important to you"

**** off squawk troll.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

He said something like

Why does anything Pollard says **** Iowa fans off so much?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Being out of state I won't get the game on Cyclone.tv. Which does suck cause I would much rather listen to ISU broadcast than listen to a Texas broadcast. However, the economics of the situation basically force Jamie's hand here.
A) what we get from our TV deal is the same whether we play this game on national TV or LHN.
B) Texas probably has to pay us a little something for us letting them broadcast this on LHN. $500 - $1M, something. So indirectly LHN is helping ISU.
C) The AD gets another month of monthly subscriptions out of people without mediacom in Iowa.
D) Die hard out of state fans will make their way to the bar as they have done for years to catch a game that isn't readily available on their satellite/cable package. Although it is considerably more available than in past years.

Those are the reasons Pollard allowed this to happen. He is making a business decision, yes it does inconvenience some people, maybe a lot of people, but in reality we aren't nearly as inconvenience as we were 5 years ago, when you couldn't find a game on any TV. Also if we all ***** to Jamie, maybe he can get the conference to relax the online viewing clause outside of the state in the future.

The other thing this says to me, Cyclone.tv has been rather successful.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
So I thought all conference games were to be shown nationally with the new TV contract. Why would moving from that spot to the LHN grow our brand? ISU still has the power to veto so unfortunately I'm putting this one on the ISU administration for not stepping up.

And I like the comment above about putting the Texas game on cyclones.tv next year. I assume that there must be a clause to let us do that if Texas is.
Well said - and yes, I'll also be interested in the Texas game viewing stipulations next year. I'll assume we'll play hardball also to "grow the brand."