Cyclones.tv to televise two football games this fall

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Look at the positive side:

If no one can see the Iowa State-Texas game, Iowa State has one of its best games in school history in a huge win.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
You posted the link to the article but did you actually read it?

After everything Pollard has accomplished in his time as ISU AD, people still question every little move he makes.

Besides, most of the football "fans" on here expect us to suck again this year. Why would you want us to have another blow out broadcast in front of the nation?

Yes I read it. I just don't agree with it. I get that they are trying to build cyclones.tv, but I have a hard time ever seeing .tv being more than what it is, a paid internet TV channel for a highly specific audience.

The money made off of one month's added subscription fees is not worth the TV exposure national wide IMO.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Me too, I prefer college sports to the NFL and as a Broncos fan I think something like 14/16 games were on tv here...Unless we get better in football I can see us and Kansas going back and forth every other year being the Texas game on LHN.

This will be the case as long as UT continues to play attractive non conference games. BYU and UCLA are just more attractive games for the big networks. If you rated their games North Texas and ISU would be the bottom 2 home games in terms of television appeal (from the networks perspective). Ideally Texas would have 2 cupcake teams for their non con games, that would take care of the issue. Until that happens, ISU and KU will probably rotate. Their non con games for the next few years are :

2015- @ ND, Rice, Cal
2016- ND, UTEP @ Cal

I'd say '15 will see Rice and KU on LHN, '16 will UTEP and ISU.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

After everything Pollard has accomplished in his time as ISU AD, people still question every little move he makes.

I know ISU needs money. I'd rather hear the truth from the AD that ISU put a game on LHN because of the money as opposed to reading some conflicted statement about putting the game on LHN to "grow the brand". Iowa's population is growing slower than the national average. Meaningfully growing the Cyclone brand is going to also depend on fans outside of Iowa (particularly border states), and not just the in-state fans. IMO, reducing the exposure of athletic events for those outside of the state doesn't really seem like a way to grow the brand.

Besides, most of the football "fans" on here expect us to suck again this year. Why would you want us to have another blow out broadcast in front of the nation?

This sort of argument is just silly.

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
It's one game. Is it really THAT hard to make plans to be able to go to a bar or friend's house who gets LHN (like many others said, thru Dish network or another provider)? At least they're not dropping this bomb a few weeks before the game. I'm sure if you start calling sitters now you'll be able to find one. & if not, learn how to use the internet or use your imagination with the radio...

What did you guys do 10 years ago??

******* about radio coverage.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
so how difficult is it to get LHN these days? Last time we had a game on LHN ( can't remember if it was football or hoops) my local Texas longhorns sports bars all told me it was impossible to get LHN in the third biggest city in the us.

If it's easier to get now (meaning not impossible) I'm not nearly as upset if I just have to go to a sports bar. Same situation as when we had games on that Fox College Sports station most don't have.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

The goal should be to have your games available to as many TVs as you can. Putting games your own network doesn't allow you to do that. For the last 2 years we have heard how great it will be when all our games are on normal networks, then they go and pull this. All this is, is a gift to Medicom. I would bet most CycloneTV customers would rather have the games on a Network Station.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
so how difficult is it to get LHN these days? Last time we had a game on LHN ( can't remember if it was football or hoops) my local Texas longhorns sports bars all told me it was impossible to get LHN in the third biggest city in the us.

If it's easier to get now (meaning not impossible) I'm not nearly as upset if I just have to go to a sports bar. Same situation as when we had games on that Fox College Sports station most don't have.

These are the carriers:

- Time Warner
- Grande
- AT&T Uverse
- Direct TV
- Dish

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Not sure if this would work. But would using something like logmein.com or Microsoft Lync work for letting out of staters watch the game?

Have someone in state stream the game and then use the desktop sharing function of those programs. Would a decent internet connection be able to handle both at the same time?

I have the same basic question, being in MN. WatchESPN, being very sophistocated, determines your location based on the ISP you are logged into. With that technology, you can legitimately obtain a "family" login from a friend in Iowa, and then indicate their ISP when prompted by WatchESPN. But how is it that Cyclones.TV figures out your location? Once we learn that, we can figure out how to gain access online.

Two years ago, the deal was that ESPN delegated the broadcast rights to all ABC affiliates who had terestial digital broadcast areas that included any portion of Iowa. That included areas in surrounding states, so to watch the game, you had to relocate, but not necessarily to Iowa. This time, Cyclones.TV gets a piece of the pie, but unless the DirectTV bid for LHN succeeds, we'll need to learn more about how the blackout is enforced in order to work with it (or around it, depending on yor point of view).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
These are the carriers:

- Time Warner
- Grande
- AT&T Uverse
- Direct TV
- Dish

Yeah thats a lot better than last time I tried to watch LHN in chicago when no amount of money could put LHN on any tv. Wonder if everyone knows that, it's not like I've had a reason to look for it lately.

Is it standard sports pack on direct tv? Even if it's not I'm sure at least Texas fan bars will have it now.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
A quote from Directv regarding LHN. Love the bolded part haha

When asked whether they'll carry the channel, DirecTV issued the following statement: "We've had discussions with ESPN about Longhorn Network, but we have no plans right now to carry it. We understand Longhorn has other programming that may be of value to a small segment of our customers, but two UT football games do not constitute a network. We're happy to carry those two games under the considerable fees we already pay ESPN for programming that includes the Big 12. Given the dynamic situation in college football conferences today, we'll wait and see how it all shakes out before we decide what we will or won't carry." [SUP][4][/SUP]

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

When asked whether they'll carry the channel, DirecTV issued the following statement: "We've had discussions with ESPN about Longhorn Network, but we have no plans right now to carry it. We understand Longhorn has other programming that may be of value to a small segment of our customers, but two UT football games do not constitute a network. We're happy to carry those two games under the considerable fees we already pay ESPN for programming that includes the Big 12. Given the dynamic situation in college football conferences today, we'll wait and see how it all shakes out before we decide what we will or won't carry." [SUP][4][/SUP]

So it'll be at some level easier to view this game on LHN via directv than typical LHN programming?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

ESPN will likely play hardball with the likes of DirecTV and package the new SEC Network with LHN. Can't have one without the other.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
ESPN will likely play hardball with the likes of DirecTV and package the new SEC Network with LHN. Can't have one without the other.

just thinking about sec network is enough to see how silly LHN is, still don't see why other 9 schools don't combine their tv efforts but keep online networks. I guess KU has a sweat heart basketball deal but the other 8 schools have little to offer even regionally compared to if they combined.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I know ISU needs money. I'd rather hear the truth from the AD that ISU put a game on LHN because of the money as opposed to reading some conflicted statement about putting the game on LHN to "grow the brand". Iowa's population is growing slower than the national average. Meaningfully growing the Cyclone brand is going to also depend on fans outside of Iowa (particularly border states), and not just the in-state fans. IMO, reducing the exposure of athletic events for those outside of the state doesn't really seem like way to grow the brand.

Not sure if it's in writing or not, but LHN was going to get one home conference game a year to televise. It was part the ESPN/LHN deal that essentially kept the conference intact and obviously much to ISU's benefit. I'm sure as hell not going to ***** about it given the alternative(s).

4CY4EVR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 17, 2010
I live in Omaha. Does anyone know if I drive over to Iowa and log on a computer there, will it allow me access to the Texas game or will it block me because my subscription has my Nebr address?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron