Cyclones.tv to televise two football games this fall

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It always appears we're just around the corner from 100% tv coverage. At least in state fans have it finally it seems.

theCyBooty

Sep 7, 2012
I just noticed that this is now back to back games that Directv customers won't be able to see with a bye week the week after that. In October, only the Oklahoma State game on 10/4 will be available to Directv customers.

CYTruck

Jan 3, 2010
I am in state but out in the country using DirectV for my television. ( I hated my years with Dish)
Will the feed over the internet with our Cyclone TV account still allow us to watch the game?
or Does Mediacomm lock down the broadcast over the internet?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Fortunately I live close enough that I can still watch this game in person, but this sucks pretty hard for all the alumni and families who don't live in Iowa or Texas.

Why is it a conference rule at all that the online stream can only be in Iowa?

Texas' third-tier distribution channel, LHN, goes nationwide. Why not our third-tier distribution channel of Cyclones.tv online?

Ridiculous. As an out-of-stater without cable or satellite, I will find a way to stream the game (legally or otherwise). ISU is just losing money because of this conference rule.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am in state but out in the country using DirectV for my television. ( I hated my years with Dish)
Will the feed over the internet with our Cyclone TV account still allow us to watch the game?

Good question. If I had to guess the lockout will be ip based so you'd be fine streaming. Hopefully some ISU or Texas fans pirate a stream, otherwise it's my 1-2 annual game of just radio stream.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm pretty sure my bedroom in Arlington is part of the state of Iowa. Call it "diplomatic grounds," if you will. It's got an Iowa flag up, at least.

So who do I talk to get this fixed?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
When will ESPN learn that the LHN is not viable and switch it to the Big 12 Network? Even if it still airs 50% Texas ****, I wouldn't care, but make it a conference network so its available on Direct TV, etc.

Why would UT walk away from the $10,000,000+/year and let ESPN out of the contract to do what you propose? ESPN is the one who agreed to pay UT that amount of money, and ESPN is the one trying to extort high subscriber fees out of the content distributors to carry LHN. If ESPN would drop the subscriber fees to reasonable values, LHN would certainly be more widely available.

That said, I certainly don't like Big 12 conference games on LHN. I don't know the details of the Big 12 TV deal, so I don't know if the schools have the option to refuse being on LHN, but I wish they all would. ESPN is just using these games to try and justify the high subscriber fees for LHN.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

It should. I don't have mediacom, but have cyclones.tv, and I've been able to see all the live events thus far.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I don't think the Big 12 should allow the Longhorn Network to broadcast any conference games.

Yeah, remember when the LHN got started? And everybody on here was saying nobody in the Big 12 should agree to playing on their stupid standalone network? Then Kansas (of course, Kansas) said they'd take the paycheck and play a conference game for Texas' little money grab.

Where's the outrage now? Now that ISU is falling to Kansas' level and agreeing to a LHN game for the paycheck? Is it a good thing that Iowa State is helping to prop up Texas' and ESPN's boondoggle? I thought we were against this "Texas first, the rest of the conference can have the scraps" mindset.

Or does Cyclone.tv change the equation? Frankly, I think the idea of 10 (or 8, or 4, or whatever) separate school networks is doomed to fail, but what do I know. The Big XIV is swimming in cash from their conference network, but we'll never convince Texas that path is a good idea if we keep giving them programming.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I just noticed that this is now back to back games that Directv customers won't be able to see with a bye week the week after that. In October, only the Oklahoma State game on 10/4 will be available to Directv customers.

I think it is a virtual certainty that DirecTV will have the LHN before this game. Their contract with ESPN is expiring and ESPN won't budge on bundling LHN (and the SEC network) and DirecTV won't drop all the ESPN channels during football season in a carriage dispute.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Why is it a conference rule at all that the online stream can only be in Iowa?

Texas' third-tier distribution channel, LHN, goes nationwide. Why not our third-tier distribution channel of Cyclones.tv online?

Ridiculous. As an out-of-stater without cable or satellite, I will find a way to stream the game (legally or otherwise). ISU is just losing money because of this conference rule.

I would like to know the official stance on this question. I'm guessing the answer will be because it's a Texas home game...which begs the question of what if it wasn't? Would the LHN only broadcast in TX? No. I'm guessing if this game was in Ames, there is no way that it wouldn't be first or second tier. That is...Texas fans would never be put in this situation.

theCyBooty

Sep 7, 2012
I would like to know the official stance on this question. I'm guessing the answer will be because it's a Texas home game...which begs the question of what if it wasn't? Would the LHN only broadcast in TX? No. I'm guessing if this game was in Ames, there is no way that it wouldn't be first or second tier. That is...Texas fans would never be put in this situation.

Longhorn Network can't broadcast road conference games.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Why would UT walk away from the $10,000,000+/year and let ESPN out of the contract to do what you propose? ESPN is the one who agreed to pay UT that amount of money, and ESPN is the one trying to extort high subscriber fees out of the content distributors to carry LHN. If ESPN would drop the subscriber fees to reasonable values, LHN would certainly be more widely available.

That said, I certainly don't like Big 12 conference games on LHN. I don't know the details of the Big 12 TV deal, so I don't know if the schools have the option to refuse being on LHN, but I wish they all would. ESPN is just using these games to try and justify the high subscriber fees for LHN.

No, I get how it works. Its just the lone frustration I still have with the Big 12. It would be nice to see some compromise from both parties to bring a conference network on the same platform. However, I understand this is a pipe dream.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
You could buy cyclones tv and stream off a laptop/iPod?

Not in Arizona for Texas.

All online subscribers to Cyclones.tv will be able to see the Toledo game. However, due to restrictions from Big 12 television agreements, only Cyclones.tv online subscribers in the state of Iowa will have access to see the Texas game. Big 12 television agreements prohibit online distribution of the game between the Cyclones and Longhorns outside the state of Iowa.