Chris Williams making excuses left and right

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
CW is not a journalist. This ain't a presser for going to war in Iraq on cnn. It's a business, period.
That's disenchanting. I hate the idea of him being a cog in the machine. I hope he doesn't feel like you do. It sounds like you're defending him but, honestly, I am.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Guys, I just want to say one thing. Jack and I do our best on that show. On days like today, trust me, it isn't a lot of fun. Just realize that my work on Cyclone Fanatic is separate to the Cyclone Radio Network. That is a whole different world than the one on here.

Go ahead and criticize me all that you want. It is fine. I can take it. It is part of my job. All I can do is try my best and attempt to get better every day, and I will.

Let's just try to not go at each other. That will only make a bad situation even worse.

Thanks for listening.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You can just tell how bad it is listening to Ben and Jack.

We should improve and catch a team or two that does not want to be playing, like KU in poor weather.

Oh, sweet KU. I believe that 3 of the 5 wins the program has since Jake Knott went down are against Kansas. Without them, we just have squeakers over WVU and Tulsa.

Somehow, Kansas can't handle our horizontal offense or leaderless defense.

KeyserSoze

Apr 30, 2010
Where did I treat anyone badly? Are going to call out Chris for the way he responded to a question from a kid? He and Jack are being very snarky in the reaction show. And I fully admit I would be worse.

I wasnt singling you out but rather talking to everyone in General, Chris included. I'm genuinely sorry if I made you feel that I was picking on you out of all the people that are feeling miserable today and are venting their frustrations out on the message board. Again I was addressing the fan base as a whole.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
What's the difference between excuses and analysis? Kind of a tough spot to try to explain something when no words will suffice.

Bingo!

Saying "hey, Farniok is vital to this team, and without him in, we were pretty lost on offense" (which is not an actual quote from Chris) isn't an excuse, it's an explanation. Like when my parents used to ask me "why did you miss curfew?" and I would reply "I lost track of time 'cause I was with a girl." I don't expect the girl explanation to get me off the hook.

Chris isn't letting the team off the hook. The fact that Farniok is THAT vital to the offense isn't a good thing. Chris never said it was.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Guys, I just want to say one thing. Jack and I do our best on that show. On days like today, trust me, it isn't a lot of fun. Just realize that my work on Cyclone Fanatic is separate to the Cyclone Radio Network. That is a whole different world than the one on here.

Go ahead and criticize me all that you want. It is fine. I can take it. It is part of my job. All I can do is try my best and attempt to get better every day, and I will.

Let's just try to not go at each other. That will only make a bad situation even worse.

Thanks for listening.

We love ya Chris!

Hey, did you see the 350 yd, 6 TD game by Bondurants RB last night? Stay positive!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think the site should go on "maintenance" for a few hours.

Would be good for some posters and also for our fanbase so we dont seem so over emotional and whiny. Not saying there aren't major complaints to be had, but having a few hours to digest it and not be so reactionary would be good got all. Although this is the best time for the business, rolling up the page views.

Just like when so many people here run to hn to watch meltdowns. Gotta be hard on players, coaches, and families too. Everyone thinks they are an expert.

Dreamyfred

Mar 28, 2014
Minnesota
Boom! Well said.

Does anyone here expect Chris and/or his staff to rag on the coaches and the players? I think we all saw what happened today. It is inexcusable.

As Brent said, analysis is not the same as making excuses. I'm also betting CW and staff have complained and are equally ****** about the outcome. But isn't their job to be whiny *******. We handle that fairly well. Everyone needs to vent and that's fine.

Let's just remember, as Mr Gray suggests, we are all on the same team and we all want to see this team win.

YES. The most passionate fans were the 4 calls from preschool kids LOL. Where is the realistic and passionate fanbase that hold some coaches and players accountable. Most of us still believe and are invested in Cyclones football and have the right to expect a competent D1 program. The biggest insult to the team is just being a-ok with mediocrity and a decrease in quality of football year after year. But thats the problem with having all the media all buddy-buddy with the coaching staff, nobody wants to hurt anybodies feelings.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Thanks for listening.

I do respect what you have to do on that call in show. I really do. It can't be easy after a day like today.

But all summer long I've been trying to tell myself not to prematurely judge this year's team before seeing it on the field. I tried really hard not to get too excited or too down on them before seeing them in action.

You read all kinds of stuff and see all kinds of interviews with coaches, etc.... all usually pumping this team up beyond belief. And ticket sales go through the roof. Which is all good for ISU.

But we as fans need to understand that all this stuff you read and hear leading up to the first game is nothing more than hype. That's it. It generates excitement and sells tickets.

So... now after seeing the team in action... I think it's very fair to say... it's going to be a very long season and we don't look any better at all than last year. Maybe even worse? CW and John Walters and Paul Rhoads, and Mark Mangino, and Wally Burnham, etc can all try to say that there are positives to build on from today, and they will try their hardest to get people to buy in to this team, but it's all hype until we as fans see something different to prove us wrong on the field.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Thanks for listening.

Thanks Chris, good response (wish it was the first one). 95% of posters realize this,*so let the other 5% go off for the few hours.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Link?

Also, have a called for Rhoads to be fired? I have not.

You have alleged that this Iowa State team quit today.

Before today, have you ever seen a team, in the first game of a season, quit?

I'm assuming you haven't. I know I never have. Do you think the coach of a team that quit in the first game of the season should be allowed to continue coaching?

Looking forward to your well thought out and reasoned response, as always.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
This thread taught me that people don't know what the definition of an excuse is.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks for listening.

Busch Light sucks.