Chris Williams making excuses left and right

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Just watch... this team will get hyped again all week about how things aren't as bad as they seemed, we're still learning, we're young, etc, etc, etc.... and by Friday there will be people on here predicting victory. Heck, there are already a few people predicting victory somehow?

It's just the way things go. Everyone wants to believe you have a chance, until the actual game comes around and you find out you had no business believing you could win the game.

If I can get excited for the game simply to be disappointed for an hour or two after it I'm going to do that.

My apologies for not being a realist.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
This thread is a perfect example of what happens when guys like Chris, CPR, and Jamie do nothing but sell hype hype and more hype. It's been going on for two straight years, and it has become ridiculous. I can't tell if Chris really believes some of the things he sells, but I have to admit he is a hell of a salesman and because of that this site does very well. He deserved credit for that, but he also deserves blame for this type of crap. He's taking it like a man and I applaud him for that.

I think there is a fine line that a guy in Chris' shoes has to walk. His job certainly has benefits when he is connected with the program. It's pretty tough to stay connected to the program if you're constantly bashing the players and the coaches who are running it. On the flip side it's pretty tough to maintain what I would call "journalistic integrity" when all you're doing is writing dreamy things about a team that ends up being flat out terrible. You can't honestly tell me there hasn't been some serious red flags these past couple years. You have to cover both sides of it, and Chris just focuses far too much on the positives. You can be critical and respectful at the same time, and I would think his connections within the program would understand and even respect that (then again we all know CPR can be a bit immature with the media so who knows).

I get the positivity, but like I said, there's a fine line. In my opinion, which I'm entitled to, Chris crosses the line by being far too positive and many people on these message boards read much too far into things that he says which then causes them to create totally unrealistic expectations,. In some cases it makes the fan base look a tad bit ridiculous. Like Stormin for example... That guy severely fed into all the hype. His comments all offseason just look insane right now. Some of that type of stuff is absolutely the result of the way Chris, CPR, an JP go above and beyond to sell the fan base even if they know damn well the stuff they are saying is a huge stretch. This type of meltdown wouldn't happen if the Cyclone fan base wasn't served so much hype these past couple years. Chris doesn't work for the University. He's the one person out of those three individuals who has a lot more room to be critical and he just doesn't do it.

Didnt-Read-LOL.gif

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
Didn't they make the NCAA tournament? Do you see us winning 6+ games this year and making a bowl game? I sure as hell don't.
They didn't make the tournament. It would be like us winning 5 games and having to play in. However, we won't win 5 this year, either, so your point is valid.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Did anyone actually hear the podcast w the NDSU guy? He may have ended up correct but he was being a complete dbag.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
"...left and right", time to get serious about mocking this thread. Two choices here, we either go full Spider Man thread with gifs or full Family Guy.

[video=youtube;DbvTO2Msf50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbvTO2Msf50[/video]

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Didn't they make the NCAA tournament? Do you see us winning 6+ games this year and making a bowl game? I sure as hell don't.

The pinnacle of the program you're lauding is the eqivalent if a five win football season. Unfortunately that's looking better than the past couple seasons of ISU football but no need to exaggerate it.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I see no reason to get all over Chris. This was a curb stomping from the first quarter on. It was like the team just relaxed a little when they were up 14 zip, and NDSU came roaring back. That is a coaching issue. The loss of QB and your best OL sure didn't help the offense. The two suspended WRs didn't help either. Unfortunately, despite all this, the Clones are just not a very good FB team, again.
When were they a good football team? I missed that year.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I don't care to hear about injuries or ejections. Frankly, we should be better than an FCS team at basically every position and we are not. Looking at a long season filled with excuses and "waiting for development". We're in year 6 now of CPR, the time for all that has passed. If he's not winning by now, he's never going to. This **** show continues on all year and the rah rah Rhoads bandwagon is gonna be pretty empty come December.

And I hate on Williams as much as the next guy, but what's he supposed to do, get on the radio and be like "yep, we blow, see ya next year folks"? That's a tough spot to do a live show after an abortion of a game like that.

let's not use the term 'abortion' when discussing a football game.......

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
Guys, I just want to say one thing. Jack and I do our best on that show. On days like today, trust me, it isn't a lot of fun. Just realize that my work on Cyclone Fanatic is separate to the Cyclone Radio Network. That is a whole different world than the one on here.

Go ahead and criticize me all that you want. It is fine. I can take it. It is part of my job. All I can do is try my best and attempt to get better every day, and I will.

Let's just try to not go at each other. That will only make a bad situation even worse.

Thanks for listening.
One of the best Cyclones of all times Pete Taylor handled many disappointing performances by the Cyclones and while you could tell he was not happy he did not bad mouth the players and coaches. After all he was a professional.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
Did anyone actually hear the podcast w the NDSU guy? He may have ended up correct but he was being a complete dbag.

I have never heard reps from Oklahoma, Texas, or even Nebraska belittle an opponent that way even though they knew they were vastly better, just shows NDSU has a ways to go towards being a class program.

Psychiatrist

Aug 31, 2014
Ejected player and injuries.

LOL.

But he's not making excuses, folks.

You seem to have a lot of deep rooted anger issues. I'd love for you to schedule an appointment with me sometime; I think I can help out. Remember, anger is never the answer.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I have never heard reps from Oklahoma, Texas, or even Nebraska belittle an opponent that way even though they knew they were vastly better, just shows NDSU has a ways to go towards being a class program.

The new Boise State.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Chris runs a cyclone website. Do you want him to go on air and say that we suck ***? That's not going to make anyone visit this website and it certainly doesn't help anything.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron