Chizik Will Address QB Situation Tonight

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Let's look at this from a different angle real quick...Why announce now?? Why not at the weekly press conference that will happen on Monday??

I think that the answer is pretty clear. More people are making decisions then Gene Chizik right now. Mainly Jamie Pollard.

By announcing the starter now, I-State will be in the news papers through out the weekend, making the Sunday paper. As Iowa State continues to sell tickets, they need all of the positive press as they can get.

I'm all for it, but just wanted to point that out to the board

Reactions: kurecabinboy

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
i would prefer to see bates, but that probably just because he is more mobile and im hoping for the next seneca wallace..... i think it'll be arnaud, hes got some decent wheels too and a hell of a arm

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
As I said in another thread, if ya think ISU football (or athletics for that matter) are not being run like a business - yer crazy.

I doubt that Jamie is forcing anyone's hand here, but I certainly wouldn't put it past him to do what was noted above - to remind Gene that announcing this early will help get more Cyclone publicity and give ticket sales a boost.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
My vote is AA. He showed last year that he could lead a team on scoring drives. We had a balanced attach and I think that you could realistically run the option with him if you needed to.

By the way, I love the option to the far side of the field when on the goal line. Best way to score if you have a fast or strong running back.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Let's look at this from a different angle real quick...Why announce now?? Why not at the weekly press conference that will happen on Monday??

I think that the answer is pretty clear. More people are making decisions then Gene Chizik right now. Mainly Jamie Pollard.

By announcing the starter now, I-State will be in the news papers through out the weekend, making the Sunday paper. As Iowa State continues to sell tickets, they need all of the positive press as they can get.

I'm all for it, but just wanted to point that out to the board

No offense, but I don't see any possibility of JP even discussing issues like when to name the starting QB with Chizik. He's a super marketer, but he stays off others turf.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
We have what we feel will be an improved offensive line. We have a trio of running backs many feel are solid to very good. Our receivers look to be a forced to be reckoned with.

I'm not sure we need all this mobility at QB some think we must have.

I don't want the guy with the best mobility back there, I want the guy that will be the best leader, best decision maker and the guy with the best arm. If he's a Seneca type guy with his feet, cool. If not, so what. Just drop back and fire away.

WOW pure genus I wished you were the head coach, but I have to give it to you. You actually had a thought here that you weren't ripping on what someone else said. I didn't think you had it in you. I might have to change my opinion about you.

Reactions: Cymon

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
No offense, but I don't see any possibility of JP even discussing issues like when to name the starting QB with Chizik. He's a super marketer, but he stays off others turf.

You can't tell me that it was all Gene's idea to make a release letting all of the local media know that he was going to announce the starting QB...

I mean seriously, there isn't even practice between now and Monday. If you don't think that the atheltic department wasn't involved with this then tell me why. I am curious as to why the coach would want to talk to the media. Especially Chizik who seems to me to not be the kind of guy who really cares about what the media thinks.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
I guess I wouldn't assume he's naming anybody. Addressing the situation doesn't imply that he's announcing a starter.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If Chizik makes an annoucement who the starter is then of course it was influenced by the Athletic Department aka Jamie Pollard.

Chizik would be fine with sending the mystery man out at 7:00 PM on the 28th.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Can we all just PLEASE agree that, no matter what happens... the coaches know best.

Mods, please move this quote to a new thread.....Saying the coaches know more than we do is just unacceptable and hurtful all at the same time...

Are you drinking and typing:eek::eek::eek:!!!!

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
If Chizik makes an annoucement who the starter is then of course it was influenced by the Athletic Department aka Jamie Pollard.

Chizik would be fine with sending the mystery man out at 7:00 PM on the 28th.

Why is that, dont you think the offense/the rest of the team would like to know? It would make me feel better as a player. You can say the players already know who the starter is, but if they did we would already know as someone would have said something to someone.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
A lot of the guys are favoring Austen right now because he is more poised at this point at QB. Bates is one of the fastest guys on the team and has an excellent ability to take off with the ball and make something happen. In all honesty, its Arnauds spot to lose right now, but i think Phil is going to open some eyes when he gets his opportunity, he is focused right now, he wants it, he is a true competitor. It is going to make for a fun year at QB. And speaking of focus right now, JJ Bass is straight faced, 111% focused, knows he has come a long way. knows he has to re establish himself. I can see it in his eyes.

On a side note, im not going to make a thread for this, but our secondary looks solid, however Allen Bell is kind of in a rut with the coaches, IS one of the best athletes and corners we have, but he has to bring himself back into it, the coaches are being pretty stern on him. Nothing serious. Kennard Banks should be able to hold it down with Singleton. Devin McDowell is there too and will be playing a lot. I feel we are DEEP in the secondary right now, probably the best since 2004. Sed Johnson has matured fast and, although i feel he could benefit best from a redshirt year. I think he will establish himself well this year. Darius Darks has been the biggest surprise of the class. Anyway, ill stop rambling on and on. I'm ready for Thursday, and so are the guys... And they want to win by 70. :cute:

Reactions: kingcy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Thanks for a great post, 33!

I feel we are DEEP in the secondary right now, probably the best since 2004.

I'm still worried about safety. Please tell me were okay at safety. Feel free to tell me we're deep at safety...:confused:

Sed Johnson has matured fast and, although i feel he could benefit best from a redshirt year. I think he will establish himself well this year.

That's a fascinating statement, and I appreciate your insight. I assume you mean redshirting would give a little extra muscle, and familiarity with the playbook?

And they want to win by 70. :cute:

Fine by me. I've got CyBookie creds on it. :cool:

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
We are okay at safety, Not as deep, but there is some speed and talent there with James Smith, and hopefully Chris Brown can go full speed without any pain. we have some corners that can slide over to safety if need be. we are okay.

Sed would def benefit from another year with the playbook and with Shep, in the short time some of the freshmen have been here, Terran Benton put on 10 lbs with shep in that short time period. He will get it by Mid Season.

Reactions: Aclone

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
A lot of the guys are favoring Austen right now because he is more poised at this point at QB. Bates is one of the fastest guys on the team and has an excellent ability to take off with the ball and make something happen. In all honesty, its Arnauds spot to lose right now, but i think Phil is going to open some eyes when he gets his opportunity, he is focused right now, he wants it, he is a true competitor. It is going to make for a fun year at QB. And speaking of focus right now, JJ Bass is straight faced, 111% focused, knows he has come a long way. knows he has to re establish himself. I can see it in his eyes.

On a side note, im not going to make a thread for this, but our secondary looks solid, however Allen Bell is kind of in a rut with the coaches, IS one of the best athletes and corners we have, but he has to bring himself back into it, the coaches are being pretty stern on him. Nothing serious. Kennard Banks should be able to hold it down with Singleton. Devin McDowell is there too and will be playing a lot. I feel we are DEEP in the secondary right now, probably the best since 2004. Sed Johnson has matured fast and, although i feel he could benefit best from a redshirt year. I think he will establish himself well this year. Darius Darks has been the biggest surprise of the class. Anyway, ill stop rambling on and on. I'm ready for Thursday, and so are the guys... And they want to win by 70. :cute:

Thanks 33, it's little wonder why I never miss any threads you post. I love your insight!

I can't wait for Thursday night - This is gonna be a blast!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Sed would def benefit from another year with the playbook and with Shep, in the short time some of the freshmen have been here, Terran Benton put on 10 lbs with shep in that short time period. He will get it by Mid Season.

Of course, since he'll be playing, that just means that however good Sed is this Fall, he'll be that much better next season. :daydreaming:

Thanks again!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

I love to hear about guys that really want it and are true competitors...that is the "it factor" that makes someone special.

I am not surprised to hear we have a solid secondary with Chizik as our head coach...this is a hallmark of his defenses and I would suspect that he probably spends some time with this group working on technique (like Nick Saban does).

I understand that philosophy of wanting to red shirt guys but we need to get our best players on the field...even if they are "true freshman". In fact, success by Johnson and Darks may help us in recruiting others that are looking to play right away.

Very glad to hear that they would like to make a statement with their win...they are not the only ones that would like to see a blowout win!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron