Chizik Will Address QB Situation Tonight

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Holy Smokes JM..... With all those we's in the last sentence, could it be you have matured and been miraculously healed of the bird flu and come to the good side. I always thought you had it in ya.....:biggrin:

It's easy to wish ya could soar with the Cyclones when the Herkies are floundering in a plethora of troubles.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
May the best man win. I don't care who plays as long as they can help us score. I trust the coaches on this one.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Holy Smokes JM..... With all those we's in the last sentence, could it be you have matured and been miraculously healed of the bird flu and come to the good side. I always thought you had it in ya.....:biggrin:

I think he is quoting what he thinks Chizik will say.....

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
I really think Bates might be the better option though. I haven't seen him pass since I wasn't at the spring game, but as a moblie QB, he's so much more explosive and since Chizik has already expressed Speed as the greatest quality about this team, I think Bates just provides that even more. I really hate to say it, but I think when it comes down to our team trying to create plays based of the play style instead of pure talent, to open things up with a spread offense with more option and QB Draws, this would just become a more productive group.

Uhh, you do realize Arnaud is not immobile don't you? He is not a shifty runner, but I saw him gain a lot of yards with his legs.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Regardless of who has been better in practice, they will both get the opportunity to show what they can do with the lights on and 49k people in the stands.

Some players are better in practice and others are better in real game situations. We will find out who is the better game day player in the first 3 games before a "true" starter is identified.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
We have what we feel will be an improved offensive line. We have a trio of running backs many feel are solid to very good. Our receivers look to be a forced to be reckoned with.

I'm not sure we need all this mobility at QB some think we must have.

I don't want the guy with the best mobility back there, I want the guy that will be the best leader, best decision maker and the guy with the best arm. If he's a Seneca type guy with his feet, cool. If not, so what. Just drop back and fire away.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
At the risk of being mauled, we keep hearing about what a great athlete Bates is, but I for one haven't seen that much from him yet. He made one clutch play last year against an overmatched linebacker. Other than that he really didn't do anything.

I understand that he is a good athlete, and he has an edge over Arnaud in that department, but I just wonder if people are making more of this advantage than actually exists. If I remember, Arnaud looked fairly mobile as well, its not like he's a sitting target. Personally, I think that Arnaud is athletic enough that the decision should be made solely on the QBs passing ability and ability to run the offense. If that's Bates, I'm fine with that. If not, and Bates is really as athletic as he's hyped to be, I'm sure he'll find the field in some other capacity.

With all that said, both QBs sound more than capable, and I too will be happy with whichever QB is chosen.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
We have what we feel will be an improved offensive line. We have a trio of running backs many feel are solid to very good. Our receivers look to be a forced to be reckoned with.

I'm not sure we need all this mobility at QB some think we must have.

I don't want the guy with the best mobility back there, I want the guy that will be the best leader, best decision maker and the guy with the best arm. If he's a Seneca type guy with his feet, cool. If not, so what. Just drop back and fire away.

Beat me to it. This is exactly what I'm thinking. Lets hope it comes true next Thursday!

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
Because of Jerome Tiller's unexpectedly quick grasp of the "Cyclone Storm" offense, he has been moved up to the #2 QB position on the depth chart, allowing P. Bates to move over to the flanker position. Coach Chizik commented, "JT has us trying to figure out where we're going to move Austen next."

Seriously though, I've been following AA since he started at AHS, if he progresses like I believe he's capable of...we're talking all-american b4 he's thru.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Both will play and it will be very planned out who plays when.

What if he says one will play the whole SDSU game and the other will play the whole kent st game?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I have been critical of AA in the past, but he has developed into a B12 QB. I don't give a lick if he or PB starts/plays more as long as the offense is fun to watch and we have stuff to cheer for! :yes:

Reactions: ISUCLONES15

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I have been critical of AA in the past, but he has developed into a B12 QB. I don't give a lick if he or PB starts/plays more as long as the offense is fun to watch and we have stuff to cheer for! :yes:

Personally, I don't even care if the offense is fun to watch, so long as we win.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Regardless of who has been better in practice, they will both get the opportunity to show what they can do with the lights on and 49k people in the stands.

Some players are better in practice and others are better in real game situations. We will find out who is the better game day player in the first 3 games before a "true" starter is identified.

This is it. It is only common sense that if the most skiled person has a tendency to panic or freeze, we have to use the other player(s). I think Chizik wants to play both as much as possible to see who has the best presence. Although their skill sets are not exactly the same, they are sufficiently equal so that both can execute the game plan. I think we are in a good place.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Arnaud should have the advantage right now. He had a redshirt year to watch defenses, he got reps at QB all of last year, and played in 6 games. The fact it is close says a lot for Bates imo. Both have a lot going for them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron