Chizik Will Address QB Situation Tonight

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think it's a 50/50 race anymore. I truly think it's a 70/30 (maybe 60/40) in favor of AA. I think he's distanced himself throughout camp and will play more than Bates. Bates will still play and get good minutes, and I'm VERY excited to see him, but AA, IMO, will be the #1.

I was really impressed by AA last year in his limited duty and can only imagine he's gotten better...

CF_Cyclone

Mar 31, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
I believe the nod goes to Arnaud, because he is supposed be the better passer, and he is not totally immobile. Having a quarterback who is mobile is not always the answer, they tend to want to take off and run too quick rather than looking to pass the ball. This being said I think both will probably play significant amounts in the first 3 games, if not all season.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
Can we all just PLEASE agree that, no matter what happens... the coaches know best.

Regardless of who starts, plays, performs better in his first 5 snaps, "looks" better to us fans in the stands, we must ALL support the player and the coaches' decision. They have seen, more than anyone (certainly on some message board), what each of them brings to the table. They are the best people to make the decision of who (or what combination) gives ISU the best chance to win.

The last thing we want is "Cyclone Nation: Divided".

I don't doubt that we will, I'm just sayin'.... :smile:

May 14, 2006
Waterloo
--I just hope its not one of those situations where one player is really, really good in practice and one player is really good in game situations. That is going to make it hard for the coaching staff.

Of course, I would go with the guy who can do it consistently in game situations. Some guys are just game time performers--regardless of what they do in practice.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Austen has been more consistant with his passes and is more experienced. Bates has another dimension to him that takes his game to another level, he just needs to work on his reads and being consistant, which WILL come to him in time. Both will be getting some snaps and, may the better player win.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Seriously though, I've been following AA since he started at AHS, if he progresses like I believe he's capable of...we're talking all-american b4 he's thru.[/quote]

Whoa whoa whoa... let's not get crazy here... I hope you're right, but let's let him lead us to some victories before we start talking about all-american... we haven't seen an all-american qb at this school in a long time. Not even close. Let's win some games 1st...

tidbit

Apr 10, 2006
dallas county, iowa
I think it will be 'Austen is the starter, but someone has to start. Phillip has done great in practice, and it was a really hard decision. What matters most is who plays, and both of them are going to see a similar number of reps in the first half. We will have it scripted out, then we will make some decisions at halftime with regards to playing time for the second half."

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner! Our newest Cyclone expert and fan has the correct quote by the coach!!

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I think it makes no difference who the QB is. I'm more concerned about our ability to run the ball. If we can run first and do it very effectively, either one of them is competent enough to lead the team passing the ball as needed without having to run for their lives.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Can we all just PLEASE agree that, no matter what happens... the coaches know best.

Regardless of who starts, plays, performs better in his first 5 snaps, "looks" better to us fans in the stands, we must ALL support the player and the coaches' decision. They have seen, more than anyone (certainly on some message board), what each of them brings to the table. They are the best people to make the decision of who (or what combination) gives ISU the best chance to win.

The last thing we want is "Cyclone Nation: Divided".

I don't doubt that we will, I'm just sayin'.... :smile:

Well, lose a few games - especially early in the season and I guarantee the backup QB talk will fire up 'round here. It was happening last season, this year would be no exception.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
At the risk of being mauled, we keep hearing about what a great athlete Bates is, but I for one haven't seen that much from him yet. He made one clutch play last year against an overmatched linebacker. Other than that he really didn't do anything.

I understand that he is a good athlete, and he has an edge over Arnaud in that department, but I just wonder if people are making more of this advantage than actually exists. If I remember, Arnaud looked fairly mobile as well, its not like he's a sitting target. Personally, I think that Arnaud is athletic enough that the decision should be made solely on the QBs passing ability and ability to run the offense. If that's Bates, I'm fine with that. If not, and Bates is really as athletic as he's hyped to be, I'm sure he'll find the field in some other capacity.

With all that said, both QBs sound more than capable, and I too will be happy with whichever QB is chosen.

QFT.

I really don't care which QB eventually lands the gig, I really don't. I just get sick of hearing all of the "We have to make sure that Bates starts because he's the better athlete and he can run and Arnaud can't." That's flat-out fallacy right there - not that Bates is a better athlete, that's true. But that Arnaud can't run. Who cares? The QB position isn't about which person has the best wheels and which QB can take a draw 20 yards or more upfield. It's about which person can hit a receiver between the numbers on a more regular basis and which person is the better overall leader. Last time I checked, the best QBs in history, such as Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, hell, let's bring it local and say Sage Rosenfels, all got along fine without a great set of wheels.

As far as mobility and athleticism goes, I'd say the comparison of Bates to Arnaud would be similar to comparing Vince Young to Donovan McNabb. Vince Young is a freak of nature when it comes to running the ball, but McNabb, early in his career anyway, had no problems getting away from pursuing defenders and taking it up field when the situation called for it (at least before he started sustaining multiple hernias). Personally, considering all of the running back talent this team already has, I'd be more in favor of a McNabb style QB than a Young.

That being said, let's stop pigeon-holing our QB position by defining what we think its role should be and let the true best man win the job...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Arnaud will be the starter and play the majority of the game. Bates may get two series. Arnaud has really outplayed Bates throughout practice. Quite a bit in fact.

Arnaud has a big time arm and can make throws that Bates can't. Also don't expect to see Bates play WR at all this year. Not with Tiller redshirting

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I disagree with the choice for the starting QB. Our back-up QB obviously has much more ability and would do a better job that the starter. The coaches must be blind not to see this.

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
Originally Posted by JonDMiller
I think it will be 'Austen is the starter, but someone has to start. Phillip has done great in practice, and it was a really hard decision. What matters most is who plays, and both of them are going to see a similar number of reps in the first half. We will have it scripted out, then we will make some decisions at halftime with regards to playing time for the second half."
Instead of "What matters most is who plays", it should be "What matters most is who leads this team to W's".

retzmountn

Aug 16, 2006
Runnells, IA
I really think Bates might be the better option though. I haven't seen him pass since I wasn't at the spring game, but as a moblie QB, he's so much more explosive and since Chizik has already expressed Speed as the greatest quality about this team, I think Bates just provides that even more. I really hate to say it, but I think when it comes down to our team trying to create plays based of the play style instead of pure talent, to open things up with a spread offense with more option and QB Draws, this would just become a more productive group.

I would agree that Bates is extremely explosive. However, I believe Austen has all the abilities to be a great QB.

Therefore, my point is that with Austen at QB, we can't afford to keep Bates on the sidelines. I think Phillip could be like Crabtree from Texas Tech. He is explosive, a playmaker and extremely solid in build & fundamentals.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Just received the following message from another member here. He was in a hurry and didn't seem to have time to post it...

I thought Chizik was going to address the QB situation in general terms, but I was just over at the Jacobsen building to see the SID and one of the SID staffers told me Chizik was actually going to announce a starter. I didn't have time to wait around but it would have been fun to be there!!